Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
crew10489

Need Advice On Some Basic Work

Ok thanks for that info as well. Why not try the Porterfield's, do they eat rotors like the hawk's and ebc's?

No - Porterfield's are pretty nice pads. I just wanted to try something else out and see how it works. My first experience with EBC wasn't very good - but I've heard their have gotten better.

Someone pinged on me about Performance Friction pads. I did try them out some time ago - due in part to the tons of rave reviews, best performing pad of the day, etc. Tried them on my truck - one of the WORST pads I've ever used. Evidently, to get the best performance, you have to use virgin rotors or bed them first with organic pads. Once PF pads touch the rotor, you can't go back to any other pad material unless you turn down the rotor or buy new ones. Even their performance was so so - felt like a full metallic pad.

eh, it would be uncommon that i'd track the car i think and i could always swap pads if i end up getting more serious about it :) HPS's it is!

Yeah, since you're used to the HPS and how they bite and how much modulation you need, probably best to stick with them. Having a dedicated track pad would probably make the most sense - club guys do that all the time, since it is really tough to find an all-purpose brake pad. Plus I've heard that people have been able to swap back and forth between the Hawk pads and others without much issue, ie. no weird rotor contamination.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Ok so just to clarify, do the porterfields not brake as good as the hawk hp+? And the hp+ pads should not be an issue with the rotors for occasional spirited non track driving? Most of my driving is normal cruising around half pedal acceleration or so from stops. I dont believe I would need the hps pads.

As far as braking performance (stopping distance, brake feel, intial bite) - I'd have to say that Porterfield R4-S sit between Hawk HPS and Hawk HP+ pads. For your driving (normal street use) I would not suggest the HP+ pads.

Hawk HPS and Porterfield R4-S are much gentler on the rotors than the Hawk HP+. Even Hawk mentions that the HP+ compound is actually not recommended for street use, because they are harder on the rotors.

Porterfield R4-S are known to be a little better for occasional track use, but not a track pad - a couple of hot laps and you could disintegrate the ceramic insulator that separates the composite pad from the backing plate. Hawk HPS is no better, if anything, takes less abuse than the Porterfield for occasional track use. Both are designed for primarily street use in mind - hence the "S", for "Street", designation in their product series.

IMO - probably can't go wrong with either one (Porterfield R4-S or Hawk HPS). Shop around - prices vary wildly for these pads. I've seen them for as low as $55 (NIB) to as much as $135 (well above retail) for a set. Porterfields will generally run more, but I'm pretty sure you can find them for the same prices as the Hawk HPS.

Ok I appreciate that.

The last issue I can think of to ask, the carbotechs are better performers than the akebonos? Since theyre ceramics I wont have rotor concerns like the hawk's or ebc's?

Carbotech 1521 "Bobcat" series of pad is supposed to be their premium pad for street use. They make a big deal about being the replacement choice for law and fleet vehicles because they are rotor safe and last longer than competitor pads - but take that as you may.

I would say they are more likely a higher performance version of that Akebono pad (temperature wise). I haven't used any Carbotech pads, so I can't really say for sure. But the reviews that I've run across from people coming from OEM ceramic pads to Carbotech all say the Carbotech one was far superior.

Carbotech 1521 "Bobcat" series of pad is supposed to be their premium pad for street use. They make a big deal about being the replacement choice for law and fleet vehicles because they are rotor safe and last longer than competitor pads - but take that as you may.

I would say they are more likely a higher performance version of that Akebono pad (temperature wise). I haven't used any Carbotech pads, so I can't really say for sure. But the reviews that I've run across from people coming from OEM ceramic pads to Carbotech all say the Carbotech one was far superior.

Ok good deal. Thank you much fish. Sounds like porterfield or carbotech is the way to go for me next time in the likely near future.