Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Bitter

Thinking About Getting One Of These...

Applied headlight film to one light.

Large bubbles because it was my first time.

Peeled film off.

Film peeled clear coat off head light.

Much swearing.

Got one light re-cleared.

Other light looks like crap comparatively.

Bumped other light and chipped the clear on it.

Blew some dust off around the chip and spread the peel.

Much swearing.

Whatever clear was used has no adhesion to the headlight lenses, I'll peel the other one and have the shop clear it for me after the Celica meet this Saturday.

I haven't fixed the alignment, gone through the brakes, etc. I did get the custom turns installed, they look sweet. I did re-bed the brake pads a few weeks ago, about 8 or 10 stops from 60-80mph to near zero back to back with no cool down. I quit when I smelled something burning, did a 2.5 mile cooldown drive at ~40mph without touching the brakes and they were still 350F up front and 325F out back! I had nice blue bands on the rotors, a couple ash bands on the rears, and you could make out the vanes on the fronts! I had those suckers cookin and the stoptech pads never gave any fade at all. Damn impressive for a quiet street pad.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Doh! Good to know!

I was going to try and put some sort of clear protectant on my headlamps, as after polishing them, they yellow quickly necessitating constant correction/attention.

Nice! Those Stoptech pads sounds pretty decent. I know the Hawk HPS pads will "cook-out" if you heat them up that much. They still work, but will eat the rotor like crazy.

Currently got Stoptech pads (105 compound composite ceramic) on the Rav4 - blows the OEM pads out of the water (life, heat stability, dusting) - wife likes them, driveability is like OEM. Might try their street variant (309 compound) after these Hawk pads are done on the Corolla as I'm too used to pads having higher initial bite.

Prototyping the horn mounting bracket to situtate the air horn where it needs to be for full volume and minimum visibility. I had though about just laying it right out in the open all chrome but that's a little too redneck, this isn't some old Camaro. Using some thin aluminum that's easy to bend to make a mock up bracket so I can make the real one out of some cold rolled steel to bolt to the car, aluminum is just stuck in place with some foam mounting tape to act as a second pair of hands while I work.

You think 12ga 3/4 wide cold rolled steel bar will be strong enough? Maybe I should get some small angle iron and kind of box it? Like cut the side off the end and bend it over and weld it to make the one end that goes to the car and then cut and bend it like that down at the horn. Hard to describe but I bet you can picture it. That would make a much more rigid bracket but also really add to the complexity and difficulty. I think I'll just go withn what I got and if needed I can take it off and add some diagonal braces if it's not strong enough. Simpler. I might just go ahead and add a diagonal brace from the get go. Triangles are strong!

Steel bar should be plenty strong enough - not really put much of a lever arm on there, unless you plan on putting more weight on that bracket down the road.

Over-engineering something is never a bad thing, but for something like this - might be a lot of effort for little gain, unless you want to do it for fun.

Way easier to just add diagonal supports, might look nicer too - have a lightweight/strong look vs the old boilerplate look.

I don't know why new replies are not showing up in the thread until a popup up tops asks if I want to see them.

Bent and cut and drilled the bracket today, ended up not bothering with a cross brace after I tried to flex it with my hands. It's not flexible, infact the point on the car it's mounted to is more flexible than the bracket. Recycling the aluminum mock up into a loop style bracket to pin the trumpet to the crash bar with a self drilling+tapping screw so it can't bounce around and possibly hit the condensor. Taking a break because I don't know what I did today but my sternum is sore as all get out and that makes hand forming an aluminum bracket unpleasent.

I should have evacuated the AC system the last time it was in the shop because I'm right here to install the new AC condensor. Maybe next week if the weather stays decent I'll bring it in and suck it out so I can replace the thing here at home. Bracket bolts come loose, didn't mess withn the lines but they should come loose too.

Only the new horn, still have an OE replacement (kind of) but left it off for now. I bonked up a little and forgot my fuse holder so I'll get another eyelet and install that tomorrow to see if the bumper cover fits over the bolt. And take pictures of it all.

Nice! Looks like a great spot to mount the horn - want to be heard and not seen.

Tossed some coat of bed liner on the horn and bracket that might show through the bumper if you lay on the ground and take a look. It'll probably chip off from road debris but it'll still disguise it well enough.

I love the horn! I honked at one of the tow guys when he was getting in his car at the yard (I pass by on my way home and always honk at the guys if I see them) and he caught up to me at a light and was asking about it "did you put a air horn on your car?!?" :D He said it's louder than the little flat bed tow trucks (it is actually).

I got one door lock actuator rebuilt, I also dampened the door with a sq ft of butly sound deadener, put some thin acoustic foam behind the woofer, and then sealed all the holes in the door. Both together seem to have REALLY made a massive difference in how the one side sounds, there is MUCH less distortion at higher volumes and bass levels from the one front speaker now. I'm working on doing the other side this evening and into tomorrow in the same way, I'll have to tear into the rear speakers and do the same thing back there in their cavities as well because now they sound atrocious compared to up front.

Great to hear! That air horn does have a nice sound - hard to get the whole impression from just a short clip, but if it is enough to grab the attention of the tow truck guys, then it has to be loud.

Interesting about the sound deadening - definitely on my todo list - but house stuff is getting in the way.