Sign in to follow this  
Bitter

Computer Ramblings

you guys are nerds!

Hey bitter, I know it's been like, half a year, but do you still have the "broken" DVD burner? I'm a collector of sorts, looking to harvest a nice diode, maybe some collimating lenses too. But yeah, searching for broken DVD burners =)

And dag I wish I could get some new tech.! I'm still running a P4, but that's my work computer, and it's overclocked to 3.4GHz. I have an old T2500 in my laptop with a GeForce Go7300, runs ok. Should have gotten the ati x1400, meh. They're both mediocre, but at least my laptop can run CoD4 (with most options moved down to medium or low).

Aww man - I just tossed about dozen broken CD/DVD burners out a few weeks ago as well as some older machines - Slot Pentium II (remember those), bunch of Socket 370 PIII and Celerons - all of them were on their way out (bad caps on mobos and p/s). I pretty much stripped them for some reusable parts as well - trim pots, LEDs, motors and gears, heatsinks, etc. - but I didn't harvest the lenses off the burners, as I've got other optics stuff to play with. Most of the discrete parts are surface mount stuff now - so I don't even bother to salvage those anymore. My son had fun prying stuff of the boards and trying to peel the PCB apart to see the layers there. Did keep some of the CPUs - may pot those up and turn them into a keychain or something.

i ended up yanking the diode to play with and it died pretty shortly there after, not sure if it was lack of heatsinking or if it was already on its way out. i havent played with computer hardware in a while, beyond building a nice 1.6TB raid0 array which benches some nice numbers.

lately i've been helping my friend get an old John Deere Model 110 up and running for winter, it can mount a snow thrower on the front. fixed the leaky fuel pump, got that bolted on tonight and got it running briefly to confirm, yep blown head gasket! that was the original reason it had sat for 12 years...she thought. she wasnt sure anymore, but had to fix the fuel pump anyways. it had enough compression going to start and run for a few minutes if i held the throttle wide open, so the carb seems to be in decent shape! no more fuel leak (or not as bad) either. its one of those beastly Kohler 10hp cast iron engines with the ball bearing mains that just last for ever and ever, its a 1972 model year!

Avast is better than avg and the rest of the programs listed in this thread. It's free so check it out. Spyware terminator is also a great free program with real time protection. I like it better than any other spyware program I've tried so check that out as well.

yep, avast has now pulled ahead of AVG. some of the posts in this thread are rather old. avast though is a little more technical than the others.

the 110 runs awesome, only needs part choke from a cold start and hot restarts better than a car. just bump the key and its running. need to figure out how many watts the engine puts out for lighting and fine tune the carb with my colortune.

Cool. Colortune - that's something that I haven't heard of in a long time. Wasn't even sure they still made those things.

i bought mine as 'new old stock' on ebay for $75 about 3 years ago, i LOVE the thing. in about 10 minutes (including warm up time) i had that 10hp kohler running smoother and cleaner than she's ever had it running in all the years she's owned it. it smells alot better, smokes alot less, and runs ALOT smoother. left it on the rich side of blue (blue with tinges of orange) at high speed and got it pretty perfect blue at idle and lower speeds. it was running full orange (rich) at high speed and slightly orange at idle. i had tuned it by ear but was off because this engine is odd. it runs smooth at one spot but is too rich and gets really rough as you lean it out but then when its right gets smooth again. when i was tuning by ear i would hit the rough patch and stop then go back richer thinking i was going too lean when i was not. bizzare! hopefully now it will also sip gas more gently and the oil will not dirty as quickly.

she'll be using it for a snow thrower in the winter so i'll go back and re-check/adjust on a cold day to make sure its right in the cold...but it should be OK. she thought it was pretty interesting and had no idea how violent it was inside there. she was pretty floored by the way the flames just shot around inside and spun and popped. its pretty awesome to watch i'll admit. her neighbor across the street is an old harley dude, i may be lending it out to him :P those pigs run so rich from the factory its obnoxious.

got the snow thrower mounted on and the machine looks beastly, like something from a horror movie. we through about throwing some blood red paint into it when it was going full tilt.

ran out of steam to get the lights setup, do it later.

when its done i'll put up some pictures, it starts soo easy. after sitting unused for a week it took 1/2 choke to start and after 3 minutes of idle at low speed it was warm enough to increase throttle and drive it forward. still have a nagging slow leak in the front left tire that needs to be fixed. i'll have to get some soapy water in a spray bottle and see where its leaking. it had a rim leak that her neighbor fixed, but i dont think he got the rim cleaned up enough. i'll get the tire off and take the rim to work and clean it to bare metal and remount the tire with some auto bead sealer. B) that oughta seal it up!

it took 3 of us about 15 minutes to get the belt routing for the snow thrower from the power take off correct. not our shining moment there.