Sign in to follow this  
BrettC

Lowering Springs On A Gen 8 Corolla

And rember to oil the bolts!! the sooner you start blasting the PB buster, WD40, or whatever you have, the better.

With that said, i still had to cut one of my shocks out of my 4runner.

good luck!! ^_^

tdk

More questions :unsure:

1) What's the process for removing the rear brake line?

2) I plan on doing the brakes at the same time (rotors, pads, bleed/replace fluid). Given that, should I bleed/replace fluid before or after putting new struts/springs on?

3) Will type of coil spring compressor should I get/rent? I think this is the only tool I need that I don't already have.

4) I will be getting Tokico HP struts, so if anyone knows specifically what comes with the struts...

5) I think I should replace just about everything since I just hit 100K miles and don't want to have to replace any small part that I'll be close to during this upgrade. This goes for (as far as I know) the strut mounts, strut boots, spring isolators, bump stops. Did I miss something? Where can I find the isolators and bump stops if they don't come with the struts or springs?

6) I shouldn't need cam bolts with H&R Sport springs, right?

Thanks!

More questions :unsure:

1) What's the process for removing the rear brake line?

2) I plan on doing the brakes at the same time (rotors, pads, bleed/replace fluid). Given that, should I bleed/replace fluid before or after putting new struts/springs on?

3) Will type of coil spring compressor should I get/rent? I think this is the only tool I need that I don't already have.

4) I will be getting Tokico HP struts, so if anyone knows specifically what comes with the struts...

5) I think I should replace just about everything since I just hit 100K miles and don't want to have to replace any small part that I'll be close to during this upgrade. This goes for (as far as I know) the strut mounts, strut boots, spring isolators, bump stops. Did I miss something? Where can I find the isolators and bump stops if they don't come with the struts or springs?

6) I shouldn't need cam bolts with H&R Sport springs, right?

Thanks!

1 - Need to get two wrenches, one to hold one side of the fitting, the other to loosen it. They make special wrenches for this purpose - but you could use some open ended wrenches, just make sure you use plenty of penetrating fluid to make sure corrosion is not an issue.

2 - Do the brakes afterwards - since you have to remove the brake line in the process of removing and replacing the rear struts.

3 - Get the clamshell type - much safer than the hook variants. As for other tools - depends on what you already have. Good to have an extra set of hands to help out - for safety and moral support, also can come in handy when it is time to bleed the brakes.

4 - I can't remember 100% - but when I got the Tokico blues in the past - only came boxed with just struts and bump stops - that was it. The bellows (dust cover) didn't come with them (reused the old ones). No other hardware, mounts, or anything else come with them.

5 - Those parts can be bought from the dealership - or some bigger online retailers, like Tirerack or similar. A few autopart retailers might have them - have to call around. Tokico might also have a specific ones in mind for the car - double check their website for more info.

6 - Shouldn't need those - the H&R springs do not drop the car that much. Alignment is pretty close to impossible to mess-up on this generation of Corolla - as long as you don't crank the steering wheel around or mess with the tie-rods, rear links. Probably a good idea to have it aligned after a few weeks - to give the car a chance to settle on the new springs and struts. Springs may settle another 1/4"-1/2" or sometimes more in that time.

I'm looking at what strut mounts Rock Auto carries and am having trouble deciding which ones I should go with. My initial through was that a strut mount is a strut mount. Are there enough differences to warrant getting a "better" one than the KYBs?