Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
c2105026

Embarking On A Journey

Max the good thing is that youre not required to buy if the seller isnt willing to bring it up to code for you since you can negotiate that into the agreement. Many sellers are willing to do that to make the sell but some hold out for other buyers that wont demand that when they can afford to. If you have the money to fix it then there's no problem, otherwise I'd find another place. ;)

Bike he's probably referring to property taxes which are a certain percentage of the home's value. There have been some problems in places with home values being adjusted to more than theyre actually worth so people will have to pay more taxes.

That's exactly what I was referring to - Property taxes, based on the appraised value of the house.

The taxes always seem to go up, but if the home value goes down, the taxes never seem to go down.

In australia, property taxes - or rates as we call them - are largely set by the local council, and are basically proportionate to land value. As for increases, councils usually are allowed to increase at the rate of inflation but any more needs to be approved by state government.

Oh ok bike I see now. Youre talking about the percentage rates not going down. I was focused on the payment being less when the house is devalued to where its less taxes that way even though the percentage rate remains the same. Yes taxes never get decreased anywhere and when they do its very rare. All that our states and govts want is to raise taxes. Nothing is ever enough for those leaches.

In australia, property taxes - or rates as we call them - are largely set by the local council, and are basically proportionate to land value. As for increases, councils usually are allowed to increase at the rate of inflation but any more needs to be approved by state government.

Sounds like a good method to keep the taxes from becoming excessive.

latest update - contracts exchanged this afternoon! now we just need to wait til the first of august for settlement. Went to the council today with my solicitor to look at all plans, development applications etc. I got a copy of the original plans. Using these, I have developed a 3D model of the house on home design software I have, in order to figure out where I will fit in my current and planned furniture. Looks like after I get a 2+3 seater suite for the lounge room, and replace my 5 peice dining suite for a 7 piece job, I have a 2 seat sofa left over.....

latest update - contracts exchanged this afternoon! now we just need to wait til the first of august for settlement. Went to the council today with my solicitor to look at all plans, development applications etc. I got a copy of the original plans. Using these, I have developed a 3D model of the house on home design software I have, in order to figure out where I will fit in my current and planned furniture. Looks like after I get a 2+3 seater suite for the lounge room, and replace my 5 peice dining suite for a 7 piece job, I have a 2 seat sofa left over.....

Sounds like you are doing some great planning.

Nice to know where everything will fit before you physically try to move it.

Most people purchase a place, move all the furniture and then try to make it all work.

well, we moved in 4 weeks ago. I enlisted the help of my boss and 2 co-workers, who had pickups and trailers.

I promptly started on some light renovations. Here is what I have planned

*repaint throughout - so far I have done the lounge room and the master bedroom. The 2 back bedrooms, kitchen and meal room remain, but this will require alot of time due to having to sand back and re-stain the window trims and skirting boards. The colour is Dulux Hogsbristle, with a Dulux Arava feature wall - basically a light brown/grey and a choclate/caramel brown feature. See dulux website for details. So far looks great, especially with the dark wooden furniture and the black leather sofas in the lounge. Due to stock availability I only got 2 2 seater sofas, a 3 seater was a 3 month wait.

*New lights - I have updated the lighting inside and out, in line with 2008 fashion. Basically 2 exterior coach lights, and 5 interior lights. The look is modern, bold and masculine.

*New doors - the front door and bifold door into the lounge have basically had it, so they will be replaced. The items I ordered have arrived in dubbo, but am still awaiting installation. Front door and the porch entrance door will both be painted bright red, which should contrast well with the dar brown brick and exterior colours.

*Tiles - The porch, foyer and kitchen splashback are scheduled to be retiled. Also the handles on the kitchen cupboards have also been changed. A new kitchen countertop is also being planned.

I was unable to get the 7 peice dining suite I wanted in a reasonable timeframe, so I now have a 9 piece that oddly still fits.

*Blinds - got new vertical blinds in master bedroom and lounger. Were a pain to fit....then I found the instructions....oh well!

It would have been easier to paint when all the furniture was out and the house was empty.

The first thing I invested in for my home purchase was a complete re-do of all the windows and the sliding glass door.

I had the old ones taken out and modern, energy efficient, double-paned glass ones put in.

It has cut out a lot of the outside noise and helps with temperature regulation.

I have since changed front door, taken out all carpeting and installed laminated flooring.

I also put in a back patio (brick) and have painted the entire outside of the house.

Just recently had the main bathroom upgraded and am getting estimates to re-do the master bedroom bath.

When you own a home - the work is never done.

Edited by Bikeman982