Sign in to follow this  
caharmon

2007 Corolla Fuel Ecomomy

You can't invoke lemon laws over fuel economy. The numbers are from the EPA, not Toyota. If you truly have a bad car, you are just going to have to trade it in for something else.

The 9th Gen Corolla's can get good fuel economy tho. I got 37MPG on my last tank and after putting summer tires back on, we were rushed and didn't check the PSI. They were only 26psi. I got just a hair over 400 miles before filling up. The fuel light was on. This tank with 34psi in the tires looks like it's going to be a solid 400+ miles too.

The trick it to accelerate really slowly, shift at early RPMs, and don't drive too fast. 55MPH might be the magic speed, but I generally drive 60 on the HWY just not to get run over. I still get passed all the time tho.

I do some hippermilling tricks, like trying to time lights so I don't have to start from a stop, driving behind semi trucks (don't tail gate) and shutting the engine off if I am stuck for awhile. I don't agree with a lot of hippermillers because they do unsafe things, but I do practice a few of the things.

The main thing is just to slow down and don't be in such a hurry. My record is 43MPG, but I can't get that all the time.

We have a 05 5sp with a TRD drop in filter, Mobil 1 oil, and XRS tires and rims. Still on the stock rubber right now. We are at 43K miles and I'm going to change the spark plugs soon.

60mph is the magic speed on my 06

Do you have a scan gage?

No, but I drive almost completely on the highway with few stops, and I have played around driving different speeds. If I drive consistently at 60mph I get 39-41mph in the spring/summer and no ac on.

trap

Without a scan gage, you are really only guessing as to what the optimal speed for your car is. Also, the magical speed for your car might not work for other peoples car at different elevations, driving temps, drive train.

Our last tank ended up getting 38MPG. I really think a scan gage is needed to figure out the rest, because it is a guessing game at this point. We obviously get well over the original hwy EPA 41MPG because our last tank really had a good amount of city driving on it. I did end up driving 55 on the HWY because I knew it got so much in town driving compared to the last tank.

Without a scan gage, you are really only guessing as to what the optimal speed for your car is. Also, the magical speed for your car might not work for other peoples car at different elevations, driving temps, drive train.

Our last tank ended up getting 38MPG. I really think a scan gage is needed to figure out the rest, because it is a guessing game at this point. We obviously get well over the original hwy EPA 41MPG because our last tank really had a good amount of city driving on it. I did end up driving 55 on the HWY because I knew it got so much in town driving compared to the last tank.

I think every car is a little different anyway. I calculate the mpg by the amount of gas I put in every fill up and the miles driven. I reset the trip meter every time.... I can't say 60 is 100% exact but it is close.

I think every car is a little different anyway. I calculate the mpg by the amount of gas I put in every fill up and the miles driven. I reset the trip meter every time.... I can't say 60 is 100% exact but it is close.

Yes, every car has a different sweet spot found around 55-65mph. I like to use the tachometer to help me find the right spot with different cars, I like to think that about 2,000 rpm is just right. Really something you have to experiment with. Good Luck