Sign in to follow this  
gvr4ever

Belt Sqeak Tsb.

* TSB #EG01501 -- SUBJECT REGARDING ACCESSORY DRIVE BELT/BELT TENSIONER ASSEMBLY NOISE. *TT (NHTSA ID #628673, DECEMBER 07 2001)

I called up toyota's customer service number today to ask about this. It is not a extended TSB, it only follows under the bumper to bumper warranty. So if you hear any freaken belt squeak at all, take your car in under warranty if possible. It believe that it will only be a band-aid fix, not a real fix, but it will at least buy you some time.

Ours was fixed around 5K miles, but the problem came back RIGHT after the bumper to bumper warranty. We've just been putting up with it, but now it is way too loud. The customer service lady is so many nice kind and warm fuzzy words said that we were SOL. Normally I could understand this, but the TSB clearly didn't work if the problem came right back again.

Anyone know what the real fix is? For us, we narrowed the sound to the idler pulley right under the alternator. I don't know if Napa would have a part yet, but I don't want to get a Toyota part as theirs fails really early.

Anyone else DIY fixed this problem yet? If so, what did you have to do? Anyone else agree that the problem is the idler pulley below the alt? Ours is a 05btw.

I'm not sure what NAPA has - I've only seen the OEM style Dayco idler pulleys out there. The OEM design lets dirt and crap into the bearing to begin with - I've already replaced the idler pulley and belt to start on the Matrix (before it started squeaking) - now after 20K miles - starting to go out again. This time I've secured a GoodYear Gatorback Polycog belt instead of the OEM Bando belt - works 10x better than the OEM one, IMO. We'll see after another 20K miles and see where the belt stands.

Will a better belt extend the life of the idler pulley bearings??

No, but it might be less prone to slip. If the stock belt sucks, and it sounds like it does, then a better belt won't slip as easily. Even if the idler pulley is dragging a little, a better belt will grab and not cause that most annoying belt squeak that is making my car sound like a ghetto POS.

No, but it might be less prone to slip. If the stock belt sucks, and it sounds like it does, then a better belt won't slip as easily. Even if the idler pulley is dragging a little, a better belt will grab and not cause that most annoying belt squeak that is making my car sound like a ghetto POS.

So the squeel is coming from the belt slipping over the pulley and not the pulley bearings (I don't even know if it has bearings) being bad??

So the squeel is coming from the belt slipping over the pulley and not the pulley bearings (I don't even know if it has bearings) being bad??

I'm sure worn bearings packed with dirt instead of grease make their own noise, but the very loud squeak that I am getting is due to the belt slipping over a dragging pulley.

I did a online search for Napa and they do seem to have some pulleys for my car. I need to go in and make sure it is the right one. I hope to match up a new (non Toyota) pulley with a upgrade/better belt this weekend. The car is still very solid with a VERY smooth gear box. This pulley problem is the only real complaint I have about our car and Toyota. How they let this flaw through is beyond me. The worst part, the TSB that we had done was useless.

I'm sure worn bearings packed with dirt instead of grease make their own noise, but the very loud squeak that I am getting is due to the belt slipping over a dragging pulley.

I did a online search for Napa and they do seem to have some pulleys for my car. I need to go in and make sure it is the right one. I hope to match up a new (non Toyota) pulley with a upgrade/better belt this weekend. The car is still very solid with a VERY smooth gear box. This pulley problem is the only real complaint I have about our car and Toyota. How they let this flaw through is beyond me. The worst part, the TSB that we had done was useless.

That is pitifull that the TSB did not work.

Hope you have good luck with the pulley and belt.

im getting the same noice in my 1994 csx but im thinking it may be loose fan belt might tighten it up some time this week did u happen to find a better belt and if so wat was it

i dont think they make enough after market stuff for the corolla when so many people own them one of the most owned car but no way to make it indovidual