Sign in to follow this  
SCNJDN

200,000 Miles...consider Synthetic Oil?

At 200K with blue smoke, switching to synthetic is a mistake. Synthetic oil is thinner by design and tends to have more detergents to allow for extended drain intervals. Between the thinner oil and its detergents possibly cleaning varnish buildup off the cylinders and sleeves, it can make blow-by and oil consumption a lot worse. A better choice is to use thicker dino oil and top it off/change it frequently.

You hit the nail right on the head my friend....just because you got more mileage on the engine doesn't necessarily mean you must switch to synthetic oil....the problem lies within the engine's cylinders & piston rings which are wearing out due to frequent use....the most immediate solution is put thicker oil on the engine (if you're using 10-30w, try 15-40w if enviroment temp is relatively low)....make sure to inspect the color on the exhaust tip....a white/gray color means engine's oil consumption is normal & there are no apparent leaks whereas a darker "muddier" color means your engine is burning a lot more oil than it should....

I read somewhere that cars with high mileage should not use synthetic. I cant remember why exactly, something to do with the fact that its not as thick as regular oil. However i could be wrong.

When you switched to the synthetic in your '94, did you keep the same weight? The '93's take 10W30, would I keep that weight with the synthetic?

Also, today, I took the Matrix in for its oil change. I asked the tech at the Toyota shop about my '93's rough idle. I told him I am going to put in new plugs and wires. He told me to get the carbon removed from my injectors first ($210.00). I would rather try the plugs/wires before sinking that much. Would a good two or three tankfuls of Chevron Injector Cleaner do any good? (I have read that Chevron is the best injector cleaner??)

Sn

if you use higher octane gas, it will burn hotter and burn off some of the crap inside the engine, but i think you should stilll have the cleaning done if you want the car to last.

also, i heard that chevron is the best also....