Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
saberonyx

Check Engine Light Came On

i purchased my 05 corolla 7 weeks ago from a dealer here on long island ny... 30,000 miles on my CE . driving to work this morning, a 22 mile drive ,highway, my check engine light came on.....the car runs great,good milage, smooth operation, so i continued to work... i called the dealer and service said did i fill up recently,, yes ,i said last night on my way home 12 gallons. he said check your gas cap ,,,i did and it was loose,,i thought i clicked it on last night,,,he said give it a day for the code to clear,,,if not call him........did any one else have this happen to them ?,,,i will post again tommorow.............. thanks

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Pretty common occurance with not clicking enough times to fully tighten the gas cap. The code will clear on its own if that was the issue, might take several starts and restarts mixing in with normal driving to have the engine computer retest the EVAP system.

If you want - you could drive the car to an autoparts store, like Autozone, AdvanceAutoparts, or similar to have the CEL code pulled for no charge. If it was an EVAP leak caused by a loose cap - you are not out of pocket any money. You could take it to the dealership to have the code pulled, but even under warranty, they will still charge you a diagnostic fee of usually $85 - $105 to scan the computer.

Loose gas cap causing CEL to come on.

Sure glad I don't have that feature on my cars.

Should reset by itself after cap is tightened and the car is driven a while.

Edited by Bikeman982

thanks fish and bike for the replies,i will give it another fill up in a few days and see if it goes out, i do have sunday off and i might have time to go to the auto store........so far its running good. i will keep in touch......

hey guys,,,,last night the cel light went out and all is good.. it must have been the cap and low gas that triggered it. it took a few days ,10 starts and half a tank of gas,but it worked out fine.from now on i will fill up at 1/4 tank and check cap,thanks for the help,i am part of the forums now......................phil :lol:

Loose gas cap causing CEL to come on.

Sure glad I don't have that feature on my cars.

That is a "feature" on most new cars today....

Most older cars do have pressure type gas caps, but only the newer ones have it tied into the engine computer module.