Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
VCi15

Diffculty Taking Off Rear Drums

Rubber or Plastic mallet would be safer than a hammer, unless it is a ballpeen type. As always, proper eye protection should be used - some hammers will crack and fracture before you can damage the drum.

Try soaking the area around the wheel studs and center bore with penetrating fluid - remember to take the parking brake off (common mistake - will make the drums impossible to take off). get two bolts to thread into the face of the drum and press then off - and work the drum over with the mallet / hammer.

For an 2005 Corolla - I can't expect the rear brakes to be that worn, unless the car was driven around with the parking brake engaged for some distance. I think mine were only 10% worn at 60K miles, changed them at 90K for grins (still had more than 60-70% left - checked them every 30K miles).

You could also try spraying some penetrating fluid (I like to use PB Blaster) on the studs and center bore and then do a couple of hard stops back and forth to potentially loosen up the drum (will also heat them up - so becareful touching them). Might come loose after that.

thanks for the offer but most likely you probably aren't near Portland, Oregon. So if I really try hard to hit the edge of the drum with a hammer, it will loosen it to the point that it will be just slide off with a bit of a pull? I gave the drum some moderate hits from the hammer and it felt like I was going to break something.

If there are threaded holes in it, try getting some bolts and threading them into the holes.

It should put pressure between the hub and the drum and the drum may push out.

You should use a rubber head hammer and not a metal one, so you don't crack or break the drum.

Edited by Bikeman982

I have a 2004 Corolla and tried everything to get the drums off.

I even completely retracted the brakes by spinning the star.

The only thing that works is getting 2 bolts to screw into the drum.

There are 2 threaded holes on the front of the drum.

I just measured the diameter with a ruler, i believe it was 7mm but not 100% sure.

I bought two bolts and slowly alternated screwing them in.

After a couple of turns the drum pop right off.

thanks for the offer but most likely you probably aren't near Portland, Oregon. So if I really try hard to hit the edge of the drum with a hammer, it will loosen it to the point that it will be just slide off with a bit of a pull? I gave the drum some moderate hits from the hammer and it felt like I was going to break something.

Just go to an autoparts store and rent a hub puller. Those things work excellent. I could not get a rotor off the front of my pickup once and I use the puller and it took 2 seconds.

Hub pullers will work as well.

Try the bolt method, the hub puller, or a rubber hammer.

Keep at it, you can get them off!