Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
VCi15

Diffculty Taking Off Rear Drums

Over the weekend I tried to take off the rear drums of my 05 Corolla to see if I can resurface the drums or do I need to buy new ones.

I could not get the rear drums off at all though, I heard people talking about using a screwdriver to pull back the spring to get it off but I didn't see any holes behind the drum where you could do that. I made sure my parking brake was off. Anyone have any ideas?

trap

back in the old days I have used a mallet or hammer and tap around the drum to free it up as much as possible then I could eventually get it off, lot of brake dust inside them when I did it.

spray penetrating lube around the holes for the lug studs and the center, let it sit over night, then use sharp blows with strong follow through from a hammer 2lbs to 4lbs in weight on the edge of the drum. 2 or 3 hard blows should have it right off. if not, heat the drum around the center and lugs with a torch, then try again.

You can press the drums off by using the two threaded holes in the face of the drum. I'm not 100% sure they used the same threading as previous generations of Corolla and early 9th gens - but the spare tire tie down screw just happens to be the right size. You can match them up with some bolts at a hardware store and use those to pry the drum away from teh hub. Just make sure to apply even pressure across the face of the drum by turning the screws slowly and evenly.

hmm I'm curious now that I think about it. I had the car in Park, would that of made getting the drum off impossible? Should I of put it in Neutral?

Out of curiosity, do current (2007) Corollas still use drum brakes on the rear wheels?

Yes - cost effective and for most FWD cars, more than adequate braking performance (the XRS models have discs all around).

The 2009 Corollas are supposed to be disc all around.

hmm I'm curious now that I think about it. I had the car in Park, would that of made getting the drum off impossible? Should I of put it in Neutral?

Nope - as long as you did not engage the parking "brake" - should not be an issue. The transmission has its own interal parking pawl, doesn't have anything to do with the brakes on the car.

need to be careful with those bolts on the drums, you can crack the face of the drums and distort the wheel mating surface if its stuck hard. if the bolts are not lifting the drum off then leave them in and tight to hold tension and hit it some more.

dont forget that the brake shoes may need to be adjusted in some if theres a ridge going on them.

Edited by Bitter

The holes where you inspect the drums have rubber plugs in them. At least they have plugs until you have had a number of "free brake inspections" where a mechanic may pull out the plugs and loose them.

Edited by tashirosgt

The holes where you inspect the drums have rubber plugs in them. At least they have plugs until you have had a number of "free brake inspections" where a mechanic may pull out the plugs and loose them.

ok i did see the rubber plugs but I had no idea what those rubber plugs were actually covering. It seemed like a really small hole but I couldn't really make out what I could do with them so I just put the rubber plug back in.

ok i did see the rubber plugs but I had no idea what those rubber plugs were actually covering. It seemed like a really small hole but I couldn't really make out what I could do with them so I just put the rubber plug back in.

Those holes are used to adjust the "star" wheel on the brake adjusters.

It takes a screwdriver or two or a brake adjustment tool to loosen the brakes.

Take a look at a picture (in the repair manual) to see how it is inside.

The trick is to press the lock bar off the star wheel and rotate it with a screwdriver to loosen.

Edited by Bikeman982

ok I'll give it another stab in the next few days. I might even try to find someone on craigslist to just take off the drums for me. I ended up buying new OEM drums for 60.00. Is that an okay price? I'll return them if I see that I can resurface the drums. How much does it usually cost to resurface drums?

ok I'll give it another stab in the next few days. I might even try to find someone on craigslist to just take off the drums for me. I ended up buying new OEM drums for 60.00. Is that an okay price? I'll return them if I see that I can resurface the drums. How much does it usually cost to resurface drums?

It is free - if you have a friend that works at an automotive place!

Bring your car over here - I will take your drums off for you.

thanks for the offer but most likely you probably aren't near Portland, Oregon. So if I really try hard to hit the edge of the drum with a hammer, it will loosen it to the point that it will be just slide off with a bit of a pull? I gave the drum some moderate hits from the hammer and it felt like I was going to break something.