Sign in to follow this  
Guest CreeperSR

Im New Here. Question On Custom Exhaust

Guest CreeperSR

Hey im new to corolland.

heres my setup. 99 corolla 5spd.

(i tried posting a picture but only showed the code)

right now its pretty much stock. my plans for the next year are boost, cf hood, new suspension setup to lower, probably sell current rims for some axis og's.

and now to my question. the car like i said is mainly stock and the previous owner put some tip on the exhaust. and it looks absolutely ridiculous. and i dont even want to take it off. cuz the stock muffler will look just as bad. so i want to do a custom exhaust. im getting a univ muffler. and i want to do a cat delete and just got piping from the exhuast manifold back. but i dont know what kind of piping or size. ive heard 2.25" is pretty good. and a friend of mine used flexpipe for his custom exhaust but that seems a little crappy/ghetto to me. does anyone have any suggestions on what type of piping and where i can get it.

Edited by CreeperSR

Hey im new to corolland.

heres my setup. 99 corolla 5spd.

(i tried posting a picture but only showed the code)

right now its pretty much stock. my plans for the next year are boost, cf hood, new suspension setup to lower, probably sell current rims for some axis og's.

and now to my question. the car like i said is mainly stock and the previous owner put some tip on the exhaust. and it looks absolutely ridiculous. and i dont even want to take it off. cuz the stock muffler will look just as bad. so i want to do a custom exhaust. im getting a univ muffler. and i want to do a cat delete and just got piping from the exhuast manifold back. but i dont know what kind of piping or size. ive heard 2.25" is pretty good. and a friend of mine used flexpipe for his custom exhaust but that seems a little crappy/ghetto to me. does anyone have any suggestions on what type of piping and where i can get it.

Depending on where you live, some exhaust modifications are illegal.

Depends what type of forced induction system you were thinking of installing and what boost levles you were thinking of running. 2.25" to 2.5" are good sizes to get if you are 100% sure which way you are running. Plenty big for most boosted apps, and not too big, if you are planning to stay N/A for a little while. Definitely stick with hard piping, no flex pipe anywhere else, except OEM location for flexpipe (need that to provide enough "give" between the exhaust and engine). I've seen some people run as much as a 3" pipe - but that was a little overkill - even with lots of boost. Plus, the 2.25" to 2.5" seems to be just right for sitting in the OEM locations - not hard to fit around the bottom and doesn't have any clearance issues. Any decent muffler shop can custome make one for you pretty cheap - otherwise, there are many aftermarket setups that you can pick up that fits together like a puzzle to match the bends and turns in your existing exhaust system.

Only if they find out :D When I lived in Ohio - they couldn't care less what the car had or didn't have - compared to NoVA, emissions (bi-annually)and safety inspections (annually).

Yeah, that said - doing a cat delete will not result in that much more power. I've seen some dyno runs where they got as much as 5HP freed up from running straight with no converters. Better to use some high-flow cats, still be federally legal for highway use, and only lose about 1HP-2HP compared to a straight pipe. Plus, all the "magic" is made from exhaust work and header design, even the log-style manifolds.

Plus, if you stick with mandrel bent piping all-around - then you shouldn't have any problems. Just for reference - a 2.25" pipe that is squeeze or crush bent will flow like a 1.6" pipe.

Seems like we want you to stay out of trouble by modifying your exhaust in a way that is not legal,

even if no one ever inspects it. Of course, open pipes will give the most power, but may make it too loud.

The description doesn't sound right - they even mention the Corolla XRS in there as well - that didn't even ome out until the 2005 model year. Probably a goof on the description - might be worth shooting them an email for clarification. You are correct - the 8th gen and 9th gen exhausts are not compatible with one another. You could probably make that work - but a bolt-on cat back setup shouldn't give you that kind of a headache.

The description doesn't sound right - they even mention the Corolla XRS in there as well - that didn't even ome out until the 2005 model year. Probably a goof on the description - might be worth shooting them an email for clarification. You are correct - the 8th gen and 9th gen exhausts are not compatible with one another. You could probably make that work - but a bolt-on cat back setup shouldn't give you that kind of a headache.

So where can I get a decent cat-back system for a 2002?

Most of the guys I know of with cat-back systems on the 8th gen - pieced it together themselves. Borla and Magnaflow have fitments for the 9th gen (2003+) and very early model Corollas. But not for the earlier models like the 7th or 8th gen - just not enough interest to keep that kind of stuff on the shelves. Some have mentioned that Alphawerks cat-backs fit - but I haven't seen Alphawerks advertised much - you can probably find their muffler easier than a whole setup. Our 1ZZFE do not respond very greatly to a catback upgrade. There is actually more gains buy porting the OEM header and running a muffler upgrade. Total gains for a cat-back for some 2003 Corollas with a Magnaflow setup got them about 5HP and 5ft.lbs gain. Porting the OEM header and running a TRD exhaust got them a bit more - some have gotten anywhere from 7HP-10HP, 5ft.lbs-8ft.lbs gain. Seems like the center resonator makes a big difference in overall tone of the exhaust system. Many have noted that removing it or upgrading to a higher flowing variant caused the exhaust to sound flat and blatty.

Most of the guys I know of with cat-back systems on the 8th gen - pieced it together themselves. Borla and Magnaflow have fitments for the 9th gen (2003+) and very early model Corollas. But not for the earlier models like the 7th or 8th gen - just not enough interest to keep that kind of stuff on the shelves. Some have mentioned that Alphawerks cat-backs fit - but I haven't seen Alphawerks advertised much - you can probably find their muffler easier than a whole setup. Our 1ZZFE do not respond very greatly to a catback upgrade. There is actually more gains buy porting the OEM header and running a muffler upgrade. Total gains for a cat-back for some 2003 Corollas with a Magnaflow setup got them about 5HP and 5ft.lbs gain. Porting the OEM header and running a TRD exhaust got them a bit more - some have gotten anywhere from 7HP-10HP, 5ft.lbs-8ft.lbs gain. Seems like the center resonator makes a big difference in overall tone of the exhaust system. Many have noted that removing it or upgrading to a higher flowing variant caused the exhaust to sound flat and blatty.

Any thoughts on this one?

http://www.sportcompactonly.com/Catback-Ex...844.htm#details

Honda/Acura guys love it. I haven't run into any Toyota owners that have that brand of exhaust system - but I know the company does make some pretty decent stuff. At least they used to a couple of years ago - I can only assume they are the same way. One of the least expensive stainless steel exhaust systems w/ a limited lifetime warranty out there about 3 years ago.

I'm not 100% sure - but I don't think they officially support Toyota apps anymore - at least from what I've heard from others. Most of their business is geared toward Honda/Acura and a few other imports and some domestic apps. Might want to ping on the main office directly and see what they say - don't want to pick up a system that no one will support.

Honda/Acura guys love it. I haven't run into any Toyota owners that have that brand of exhaust system - but I know the company does make some pretty decent stuff. At least they used to a couple of years ago - I can only assume they are the same way. One of the least expensive stainless steel exhaust systems w/ a limited lifetime warranty out there about 3 years ago.

I'm not 100% sure - but I don't think they officially support Toyota apps anymore - at least from what I've heard from others. Most of their business is geared toward Honda/Acura and a few other imports and some domestic apps. Might want to ping on the main office directly and see what they say - don't want to pick up a system that no one will support.

Hmmm.... They don't list Toyotas. http://thermalrd.com/product.htm

OK.

Promise not to laugh?

I now have a performance exhaust system on my Rolla.

Guess where I got it?

You promise not to laugh? :unsure:

OK.

I got it at Meineke. (You promised not to laugh) :angry:

They custom built me an exhaust system using a small Magnaflow muffler. It definately made a difference, though the gains were not monumental. Doesn't sound bad though its a little louder than I would have perferred. Whole project, including a nice chrome tip came out under $400. :rolleyes:

OK. You can stop laughing now. <_<

Edited by Cyberbilly