Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
91all-trac

*help*91 Corolla Tranny Swap

i have a 91 corolla all-trac sedan(automatic). i would like to convert the transmission to manual but im not sure if its possible and if it is how i would go about doing it. If it is possible maybe some help on what i should do and how i should do it? i was thinking it would be possible to take a transmission from a manual 1990ish corolla all-trac wagon and use that but i've never had any experience with transmission conversions.

any help is appreciated.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

I don't think that would be an easy job, but it could be done.

I am not too familiar with the all-trac, but I know some of the differences between the automatic and the manual transmissions.

Changing the tranny is fairly easy, but you would also have to change the wiring harness, ECM/ECU, and put it all the different parts for the shift lever and the foot lever for the clutch. There are other considerations and differences. For me, it would be easier to sell it and get one that is already a standard. The conversion would be too complicated for the layman to attempt.

Edited by Bikeman982

yea i've been looking aroung but i find that my car is pretty unique. i like the fact that its AWD and the only ones iv seen for sale are the 5 door wagons which imo are ugly =/. and the car actually belongs to my grandmother and she doesnt drive much so she is giving it to me so im kinda just working with what i have =X. thanks for the advice tho. im only 16 so ill probably just go talk to a local mechanic and have him look at it. hopefully he wont just call me a kid with big dreams :lol:

Nothing wrong with having big dreams.

To be realistic, they have to be physically and also (for you) economically feasible.

Changing from automatic to standard is not too complicated, but AWD makes it a great deal more difficult.

The suspension and power train modifications would have to be very extensive.

Edited by Bikeman982