Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Bikeman982

Cv Joint For 7th Generation Corolla -

Does anyone have a good source for CV joints?

I have been checking online and have not found anything.

Most of the suppliers have them with the axle. Can't they be purchased separately?

I have a bad CV joint on the drive axle on the LH side of my project car.

I want to buy just the CV joint, since the axle and boots are fine.

I can probably get one from the junkyard, but a used CV joint is questionable and new is preferable.

trap

I took out the passenger's side drive axle and the CV joint is also bad.

I will check with a local auto parts store (Kragens) to see if they sell CV joints.

I removed the transmission today and am looking for a replacement.

Kragen Auto Parts did not have or sell the CV joints, but they did have remanufactured drive shafts that included the CV joints with rubber boots already clamped on the shafts. I purchased both sides for $140.00. That was minus the $120.00 core charge, since I gave them my old ones. They look excellent and after I find another transmission to install, I will put them in the car.

Edited by Bikeman982

That would be the way I would get the CV joints - as a whole assembly with the boots and driveshaft ready to go. Cost is just slightly more, but you recoup that money in your time saved in not messing with rebuilding the axles.

That would be the way I would get the CV joints - as a whole assembly with the boots and driveshaft ready to go. Cost is just slightly more, but you recoup that money in your time saved in not messing with rebuilding the axles.

I would have preferred just the CV joints. I don't mind using the old shafts and putting on boots with grease, etc.

I consider it a little challenge. Like you said - the price wasn't much more to get it all already assembled.

Now I just need the transmission so I can install it.

After that will be both driveshafts and the car will be ready to roll.

The power train will be in great shape, with a good tranny and good driveshafts.

I am getting a lot of practice with 7th generation Corollas - engine changes, transmission changes etc.

Something like changing a starter becomes a lot easier when it is one of the components removed for every engine or tranny change.

I put the car in the garage yesterday. I went back to work on it today.

The car is now up on car ramps and jack stands, with the tires off and also no disk brakes, and the brake assemblies hanging by bungee cords.

I had removed the wheel well splash guards and also the engine splash guards.

Today I also took off the crossmember and am waiting for a transmission.

The engine is supported by a 4 X 4 under it. Pictures tomorrow.