Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Owen101

Black Or Silver?

Guest Owen101

Hey guys,

I want to put a 20 valve 4A-GE in my Corolla and i was wondering if anyone could tell which is the better engine to go with, the Silver Top or the Black top, and why? cheers

Welcome to the forum! As to your question - depends on what you plan on doing with the motor once you get it and possible future plans for the engine. This kind of question has been asked ad nauseum - all boils down to what you expect from the motor and your budget for the swap. Don't think too much about hte published numbers for engines - as they also tend to be inflated. Last time I checked, they had the Silvertop at ~160HP vs the Blacktops ~165HP - both are probably atleast 10HP too high. Couple of dyno runs have had a freshly rebuilt "stock" Silvertop w/5-speed put out about 110-120WHP. Blacktops were within a few WHP of those.

You are correct that there are two varieties of the 20V 4A-GE engine - earlier models are "silvertops" and later models were known as "blacktops". Silvertops are AFM sensored and the Blacktop are MAP sensored - depending on application and budget for tuning - need to figure out what works better for you. Silvertops also known to be a bit heavier in the valvetrain and bottom end - good for forced induction projects. Where as the Blacktops are better know for their high revving abilities - and with the right combination of valve springs and tuning, can really rev. You didn't mention the year of the Corolla and what choice of transmission you are looking at (donor vehicles that are sold as a halfcut generally have 6-speed trannys with the Balcktop, 5-speed trannys with the Silvertop).