Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
micmonty

Wanted 1997 Corolla Head Gasket

Hi Guys,

My 1997 Corolla overheated and the mechanic said I needed a new radiator. I got a brand new radiator and thermostat installed for $225. The day after I took it home it overheated again. Now he says that its probably a blown head gasket. He gave me an estimate for 800-900 to install.

The car only cost me $1200 to begin with and if it do this repair it would cost me about $1100 to drive it again :(

I'm wondering if anyone knows the labor cost of replacing a head gasket and if anyone had one for sale. I checked Ebay and they are going for around 30-60 bucks. My guys said the parts will cost around $180!!

Thanks

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Well it depends if you want just the headgasket or headgasket kit. Difference in price is about what you quoted here - about $30-$60 for just the headgasket, about $150-$180 for the kit (OEM prices). - might be able to get a better deal on-line, but you should ballpark about $160 for the gasket kit, so you don't surprise yourself later.

Kit will come with all the gaskets you generally need to replace anyway when you tear down the engine to get to the head gasket, other gaskets, bolts, etc. - might be able to reuse some of the parts - but you will defeintely need to buy more than just a single gasket when you getting ready to replace the cylinder head gasket.

For the radiator and thermostat - seems pretty reasonable, if he got OEM parts. For the head gasket repair - you will probably be looking at anything from $600-$900 - depending on what else need to be replaced, pretty labor intensive process, so most of the cost will be in labor charges.

Changing the head gasket involves removing many components before getting to the gasket area.

The cost is mostly for labor. If you could do it yourself, you could save a lot.

Be prepared to pay a repair shop a lot of money to get it changed.