Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
bluechalice

Anyone Using Mobil Clean 5000?

I am now using the regular Mobil 1 5w30 and was about to get some new ones and saw they were selling these new Mobil Clean 5000.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO...Clean_5000.aspx

It seems like it might be cheaper than the regular Mobil 1 5w30, as I saw a box at Sam's Club for $25.84 that has 12 one quart bottles in it.

Any of you tried this motor oil? Recommend it?

Theres also this other one:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO...eage_5W-30.aspx

Although my Corolla 2000 only has 47000 miles on it right now.

p/s I just checked and at a full refilled tank, my corolla 2000 VE got around 220 miles driving around town/city.

Is this ok or not so ok?

Edited by bluechalice

trap

Mobil Clean 5000 is pretty decent stuff. It is not a synthetic, only a high grade conventional oil. Doesn't mean that it is bad - if you plan on relatively short drain intervals (every 3K-5K miles) then this should be OK. Brother uses it on some older classic cars - no problems at all - they get the 3K mile treatment. The Mobil Clean High Mileage is slotted in between the conventional oil and synthetic blend - as far as performance numbers. Think of it as something closer to a blend with extra "stuff" in the oil to help swell up oil seals as such. As you motor stands - I would just pick the Clean 5000 or 7500 of the High Mileage stuff. Won't help your car - just more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.

As for fuel economy - depends on what you mean by a full fillup, how many gallons are we talking about here. If it was something like 8 gallons or so - then that's not too bad - something like 26-27 MPG. If it is something like 10 gallons or more - then you are looking at 22MPG or worse, I've seen worse, but not good. As a comparison - my Corolla with almost 150K miles, 4-speed auto, K&N panel filter, all synthetic fluids - gets about 28MPG will almost all city driving, to between 32-34MPG on mostly highways. If I go on some extended trips (300+ miles), then I usually see anything from 38-44MPG.

I used it last oil change because when I went to the store, they were out of mobil 1. I change my oil every 5K miles tho. I'm sure a mobil porduct called 5000 would be good for that.

Mobil 7500 is a synthetic blend - I guess I should have made it a little clearer there. Think of the Mobil Clean High Mileage as Mobil 5000 with extra stuff in it. IMO, our engines needs less "stuff" to go into it - just make sure you change it - if you stay on top of the maintenance - extra seal sealers/swellers are not needed. Plus from what I've seen in my local autoparts stores - they sell the Mobil 5000/7500 cheaper than the Mobil Clean High Mileage. Note that this is Mobil Clean High Mileage - not Mobil 1 High Mileage - that has synthetic basestock blended with more "stuff".

Probably summed up the best from Mobil Oil's own webpage:

"What is different about these products -- Mobil Clean 5000, Mobil Clean High Mileage, Mobil Clean 7500, and Mobil 1 Extended Performance -- that enables these oils to perform to their specific mileage parameters?

Mobil Clean 5000 has a boosted level of cleaning performance to help prevent the formation of sludge and harmful deposits and provides outstanding wear protection of critical engine parts during today's longer service intervals.

Mobil Clean High Mileage is designed especially for higher mileage (75,000 miles-plus) vehicles. The product conditions seals to help prevent leaks and provides extra cleaning performance to help prevent the formation of sludge and harmful deposits.

Mobil Clean 7500 is a synthetic blend formulation that includes 18 percent more cleaning agents than our conventional oil to help prevent the formation of sludge and deposits during today's longer service intervals.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance is our premier, fully synthetic formulation with the Advanced SuperSyn System, which provides exceptional oil life. The product's extra performance additives help deliver outstanding engine protection during longer service intervals. "

i run my 7500 on 6 month intervals or when i have a chance to change it, i put on less than 10K a year but i'm driving more now. the zz's may not need those additives, but a 7afe with 125K miles....whats the harm?

Probably not that much. I just cring at anything "extra" added to the oil - probably because of previous bad luck with additional additives.

Seal conditioners were added to the first synthetics motor oils that hit the market - since synthetic base stocks tended to be very good at cleaning the engine. They also had a tendancy to shrink major oil seals and made a perfectly decent engine leak like a sieve. They finally got it right with the correct mix of base stocks and additives. Now you through in a new product that just added a bunch more of stuff "x" - that may or may not be useful to a particular engine.

In the end - it is a judgement call on the owner. I've gotten 180K+ from a 5SFE Camry, about 70K on the 2ZZGE, and almost 150K on a 1ZZFE without using any "extra" stuff or high mileage stuff. The Corolla/Matrix got synthetic put in as soon as the engines broke in. The Camry actually only got conventional dino oil every 5K miles. We also had a Mopar Slant-6 using just about every kind of oil out there and additive to boot - but that engine's valvetrain eventually got sludged solid - but we can't prove it was from additive usage or shoddy oil. Those have a reputation of being bulletproof - we still got lots of miles on it, 250K+ but who knows how much longer it would have run if we kept it simple.

/OT you know slant6's? i'm doing work on a 64 dart convertible this summer with a 225 slant6 in it :) i'll probably be asking you lots of questions. i've been reading and posting at slant6.org and learning as much as i can. the current body on the car is shot but all the panels line up so the frame is in good straight shape, the engine and enginebay looks good. shes got a big set of spares that i'll take a look at friday. i'll probably PM you some pics and more information. iirc she has a spare motor which i'd love to build, and i need someone who knows the A-904 pushbutton 3 speed pretty well since hers has 'a problem'.

I'm not the definitive expoert on Slant-6s, but have always been a big time MOPAR fan. We had a '71 Dodge Dart and '72 Plymouth Valiant, both with the 3-speed auto and 225 engine, '74 Dodge Monaco with TorqueFlite 727 tranny and 440 Wedge, and '64 Plymouth Fury with the 426 Wedge.

Sweet - '64 Dart conv with a 225 Stant-6 - nice car. That should be some power there - and decent gas mileage to boot (I got about 20-25MPG with mine).

Lots of good info on http://www.allpar.com - Dave would be a good contact as well.

Got to watch for rust on the rear floorboards and close to where the leaf springs attach - on all of my cars, they rotted out and eventually there wasn't enough meat to keep keep up the weight. Too bad - the trannys and engines were very good - bodies just rotted out way too fast.

The dealer told me Toyota oil is made by mobil and the closest thing to dealer oil would be mobil 5000 oil. I used some of it one time and had no problems but Ive been using havoline for some time now since its good oil and cheaper than mobil 5000. Im thinking about using havoline DS but it does cost about 15% more than the old formula.

I use Mobil 1 10W-30. More expensive, but it is very good oil for my engine.

I have a 13 gallon tank and can get about 29-30 MPG mostly highway, some around town driving.

That is over 330 miles per tankful.

Edited by Bikeman982

If you want to stay with a synthetic, consider Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W30

I'm not sure if the 10W will be too thick for cold weather. Have to check the owner's manual.

I've been running Castrol GTX. I may switch to Mobil 1 HM to clean up the engine.

On my last two tanks I got 38 then 35 MPG. Mixed driving. A lot more AC use on the last tank.

Turns out the havoline DS is not more expensive than the old formula. I checked several places here in town and walmart had the best deals by far.

Walmart

Pennzoil $2.78qt, $9.97jug 5qts (cheapest price per jug)

Havoline DS $2.50qt, $10.88jug 5qts

Castrol GTX $2.74qt, $10.97jug 5qts

Mobil 5000 $2.22qt, =$11.10 5qts (cheapest price per qt)

[EDIT] BTW all oils listed above are 5w30 energy conserving.

Edited by 01loadedLE

Those "synthetic blends" can have as little as 5% synthetic oil, and 95% conventional oil - with a higher price than regular, dino oil. Walmart has Mobil1 5w30 full synthetic for $19 for 5 quarts.