Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Fleck

Kyb Shock/strut Prices

99% sure the GR-2 are a upgrade, not just a OEM replacement. I put GR-2s on my Mitsubishi that had stock KYBs are they were NOT the GR-2s. I've also looked at our 05 Corolla and they look white like the Gas-A-Just Shock line. Those are also cheaper too.

I'm with gvr4ever - as I've done this upgrade on my own Corolla (upgraded to TRD springs and GR-2 struts). The GR-2 are a step up from OEM - valving is slightly different than the OEM variants. Granted - we are not talking about a performance strut here - the GR-2 are more for slightly better control than stock, but still retaining the stock ride quality. Want a little bit more performance - than you have the AGX to choose or any number of higher performance units out there.

Well first of all KYB only makes two kind of struts... GR-2 and AGX, so this supposed cheaper KYB strut doesn't exist. Gas-a-Just are shocks which aren't used on modern Corollas.

GR-2 may perform a little better than the original ones that came on your toyota but I (and everyone that sells them and everyone else in the tuning community) consider them an OEM replacement level strut. I'm not trying to start a debate or flame anyone but this forum is the first i've seen anyone say otherwise.

I have GR-2 + Pro Kit and I think they're too soft. If there is any upgrade over stock it is minimal. Either way, it doesn't matter what you call it. They're good struts for the money and great for a daily driver. Cheap and strong, no problems with blowouts after 2 seasons of AutoX and hard driving.

Yes, that is a shock, not a strut. You won't find montube shocks on any corolla after 1987. Anyways, it doesn't matter. The original question was regarding KYB strut prices, and I think we've covered that. :rolleyes:

:unsure:

Read back! The thread mutated in to whether GR-2s are a upgrade. I changed out the winter tires on a 05 Corolla today and if KYB supplies Toyota with struts and shocks (99.9% sure that they do), then they are NOT GR-2s. They were black in color and not as beefy looking. Also, I own a pair of GR-2s on another car. They are in fact stiffer then OE shocks.

Have to stick with OEM Springs. Pretty much any aftermarket spring or "performance" spring would automatically lower the ride height. Exception would be to go with an adjustable spring - but that is getting into an expense and work that is not needed.

I want to replace my struts with something a little more sturdy. My Gabriels suck. Should I go with Monroe, Tokico, KYB, or Sachs?

On ebay they claim that struts will fit any year from 93-02. Is that true?

If I want to change my springs, and forget the reasons why, are the ebay coilover adjustable springs any good if I don't adjust them at all?

Lastly, the thin piece of rubber that the spring sits on the strut, if that wears, will that do anything? Why is that there in the first place?

Edited by twinky64

Gabriel has a long history and name - but that is about all I can say about them. Quality is nowhere close to where they should be. Monroe's aren't much better - given previous experience and reviews on other forums.

Tokico and KYB would be the easiest to find and are of great quality. Sachs are supposed to be pretty decent - but I don't remember them making correct fitments to Corollas.

As for most suspension bits - I have noticed that many parts from the 7th gen Corolla (1993-1997) do fit the 8th gen (1998-2002). Not always - best to check with the manufacturer's fitment guide.

Forget the eBay coil-overs - junk and a waste of time. You get better performance with quality springs and struts.

That thin piece of plastic/rubber is an insulation pad - keeps the spring from abrading on the spring mounts on the strut. If that wears out - you could get a very noisy suspension. Pad is just there to help keep noise levels down.

Gabriel has a long history and name - but that is about all I can say about them. Quality is nowhere close to where they should be. Monroe's aren't much better - given previous experience and reviews on other forums.

Tokico and KYB would be the easiest to find and are of great quality. Sachs are supposed to be pretty decent - but I don't remember them making correct fitments to Corollas.

As for most suspension bits - I have noticed that many parts from the 7th gen Corolla (1993-1997) do fit the 8th gen (1998-2002). Not always - best to check with the manufacturer's fitment guide.

Forget the eBay coil-overs - junk and a waste of time. You get better performance with quality springs and struts.

That thin piece of plastic/rubber is an insulation pad - keeps the spring from abrading on the spring mounts on the strut. If that wears out - you could get a very noisy suspension. Pad is just there to help keep noise levels down.

Do you know where I can find insulating pads? Also, my springs have seen 210k miles. I bottom out at the rear more so than the front. Would struts be suffice?

Also, my rims...16x6.5 MINI rims with a 50mm offset. They rub on the inside of my rear fenders. I looked underneath and the tires are pretty close to the strut as well; like 1mm away. Fish, how was your experience when you had your 16x17's?

Edited by twinky64

I know they sell the insulator pads separately - but its been a while, I don't have a link on them off the top of my head. I also bottomed the rears before I bottom the front - think that is how most act anyways on the Corollas. Toyota's have always been on the soft side - 210K on the car - might be time for new springs - have to measure ride height and see how far it dropped down from OEM.

When I had my 16x7 (38mm offset) - they rubbed the rear fenders and was a centimeter away from the strut/spring. I ended up running a different tire (not all tires are the same width - even if they are marked the same size). Fixed the rubbing on all but big bumps - eventually rolled the rear fender lip to get more clearance.

I know they sell the insulator pads separately - but its been a while, I don't have a link on them off the top of my head. I also bottomed the rears before I bottom the front - think that is how most act anyways on the Corollas. Toyota's have always been on the soft side - 210K on the car - might be time for new springs - have to measure ride height and see how far it dropped down from OEM.

When I had my 16x7 (38mm offset) - they rubbed the rear fenders and was a centimeter away from the strut/spring. I ended up running a different tire (not all tires are the same width - even if they are marked the same size). Fixed the rubbing on all but big bumps - eventually rolled the rear fender lip to get more clearance.

I see. Thanks fish

I'd ask you how to roll fenders but I'll start a new post. Look forward to your answer though

Pretty decent brand - big OE supplier for european vehicles. Lifetime warranty. There was a report of high failure rates on VWs (50%+ failures with 10K miles or less) - but that was most likely a mismatched spring to strut issue. Still - other manufacturers have more "forgiving" struts than Sachs. Still - a very good price, if it was me - I'd bookmark that and keep looking. You should be able to find some KYB GR2/AGX or Tokico HP for about that online.