Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest jackie

Crunchy, Sqealing At Left-rear Tire

Guest jackie

My left rear tire made a popping noise like something was bouncing around in the tire well Last Saturday. After a couple minutes driving the noise stopped, so I assumed that it was a rock that had flung up into the well. Now there's a crunching and popping noise in the same wheel when I drive. It isn't a constant noise, it usually happens around right turns and on speed bumps/rumble strips? My breaks are also in need of repair (and will be replaced when the weather heats up). Since the noise happens around curves and speed bumps, I am also using my breaks. What do you guys think this could be?

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Could just be really worn brakes and/or brake hardware making contact with the rear drums. Could also be a suspension related issue - I personally had the rear axle carrier bolts come off from the assembly and it made some awful noise and caused erratic behavior when driving.

Check that no foreign matter is jammed up in the wheel well - ie. road hazards. Double check the condition of the tire - note anything out of the ordinary (check both sides of the tire, not just the side facing you).

Do a visual check to look for something obvious. Remove the rear wheel and check in the wheel well.

You could take off the rear drum and inspect the brake, as well.

Look for anything broken, worn, ripped, torn, leaking, etc.

Edited by Bikeman982