Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
AliasJerk1

Headlamp Assembly Removal

I searched the forums to find nothing I really needed. I was wondering exactly how the hell I remove the headlamp assemblies. I know this sounds like a stupid question... but I tried taking it apart myself, I found the two bolts on the top of the headlight, those were obvious, then I found the one below the turn signal... Is there any ones I am missing?

Help to know model year as well. I know when I did mine (8th gen Corolla) you also have to mess with the front bumper cover - as one of the headlamp brackets extendes under the grille/bumper cover.

I have a 1998 and I could not get the headlamp out. How do you do it?

That would be an 8th generation Corolla question.

I can tell you about the 7th generation, but they may be different.

Maybe these will help. These for a 2002 Corolla (last year of the 8th gen Corollas) - but should be similar to all 8th gen units.

Headlamp and Bumper cover detail

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/fis...ndheadlamps.jpg

Bumper cover detail

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/fis...bumpercover.jpg

Headlamp bolt/nut locations

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/fis...s/headlamps.jpg

It sounds like he has removed all the mounting bolts.

Maybe all that is needed is for it to be pulled out (maybe with a little force, if there are some pressed in clips)?

Edited by Bikeman982

Maybe all that is need is for it to be pulled out (maybe with a little force, if there are some pressed in clips)?

its a 98, and those diagrams helped.

Maybe all that is need is for it to be pulled out (maybe with a little force, if there are some pressed in clips)?

its a 98, and those diagrams helped.

Does that mean you successfully removed the headlamp assembly?

On the ae92 (6th gen), removing the headlight assembly is very easy--only a couple of screws and no need to remove the bumper. I'm surprise you guys with the "improved" Corolla has to go thru all that trouble just to remove the light.

On the ae92 (6th gen), removing the headlight assembly is very easy--only a couple of screws and no need to remove the bumper. I'm surprise you guys with the "improved" Corolla has to go thru all that trouble just to remove the light.

The newer Corollas have a more integrated bumper, grille, headlight setup which makes it more difficult to remove.

Well, both of my headlights need new screws and bolts, does anyone knows where I can get these?

Thanks.

I always get mine from a used car in a local junkyard.

You can also get some from an automotive store.

You may also purchase them from a hardware store.

I believe they would all be metric.

Well, I have a 1999 Corolla VE, I need to replace both of the headlight housing, how do I do this?

From the third pic, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/fis...s/headlamps.jpg, it looks like no need to remove the bumper cover. The top 2 screws are from the top, and the third screw is from the side but you need to remove the side marker light.

Now I really need on how to adjust the headlights pics.

Thanks.

Edited by Bad_dude

That one bolt might be behind the bumper cover. As for really needing to remove the cover - up to you. I've seen it done both ways. Taking the bumper cover off is not a big deal - just pull the clips of the bottom and the few screws on the side - the whole thing slides out. If you don't want to pull the bumper cover - you need to press down on the bumper enough to get at the screw and to make sure the tab clears the bumper.

You are correct - you need to remove the side marker lamp to get at the last screw to take the housing off. As for adjustment - I'm not 100% sure on the early 8th gen (1998-2000), as they have a different lamp assembly than the 2001-2002 Corolla - on mine, there is only provision to adjust the vertical axis of the lamp - horizontal pattern is fixed. You can tell but looking at the assembly and find the toothed screw (be real obvious - looks like a large toothed flat washer fixed to a bolt head).