Sign in to follow this  
tomservo

P1643+p1649

there had better not be a problem with the valves/seats!! I just replaced every single valve and had the head rebuilt.. Interestingly, the valves don't ping now that the VVT is fully functional. Hopefully the auto-rx will fix up the compression - if not, it wouldn't be the end of my world, the CEL is off now, the car runs good and it burns no oil

got an update - mileage is a tiny bit better, last night when i started it (it was like -30F, engine was still 44F) i got my first P0420 - i cleared the code and it hasn't popped back up. I've done some experimenting with speeds vs mileage - and best i can tell is it feels like the cat may be clogged up from burning oil for so long. ie 12mph difference (68 vs 80) means 5MPG difference (30 vs 25). It improved a tiny bit on the way back (about .8 mpg but at both speeds). It gets about 39 mpg @ 36mph and 34mpg @ 55mph..

But I don't wanna buy more parts!!!

got an update - mileage is a tiny bit better, last night when i started it (it was like -30F, engine was still 44F) i got my first P0420 - i cleared the code and it hasn't popped back up. I've done some experimenting with speeds vs mileage - and best i can tell is it feels like the cat may be clogged up from burning oil for so long. ie 12mph difference (68 vs 80) means 5MPG difference (30 vs 25). It improved a tiny bit on the way back (about .8 mpg but at both speeds). It gets about 39 mpg @ 36mph and 34mpg @ 55mph..

But I don't wanna buy more parts!!!

That sounds like good mileage (MPG), but the compression readings were too low.

Is it possible the compression tester didn't read correctly?

possible, and I don't have a good way to test it.. I'm going to check again after my auto-rx treatment and see where the numbers are. I've got another 1000 miles or so, so about 2 weeks from now I'll be changing the oil and testing compression again. I'm gonna change my tranny fluid at the same time - and if the weather isn't godawful cold, I'll flush out the old fluid too. Not something I'm even remotely willing to do when it's -30F. If it's still cold, I'll just change the fluid, and do it again in another 5 or 10k miles. Not worth losing fingers over..

If the compression numbers haven't budged by then, I'll go get another tester at walmart and double check it. It's still not burning any oil, thank god. I got another P1346 this morning, cleared it, and it didn't come on after a prolonged series of shopping trips today - I'll change the VVT unit and the camshaft sensor when I get a chance. (the CPS is easy, the vvt unit is a bit of trouble).

Hopefully I'll see 30-40psi difference on the cylinders, and a bit more after the auto-rx rinse.

Bikeman: the numbers sound better than what i have been getting, but in colorado i got used to getting a solid 38-39 doing 65-70 through mountains. But that was at 9000+ elevation. My city mileage ends up being about 18mpg - acceleration just kills it, far more than it should.