Sign in to follow this  
tomservo

P1643+p1649

Some of you may remember me... About a year ago, I put new rings in me 01 Prizm - thankfully, it still doesn't use oil (about 12k later). It's been using a lot more valves lately, though - I just spent $1k replacing all 16. That was just the head shop's bill :/ (granted it was in canadian $) It seems to be running okay now, there was no interference (the carbon on the pistons wasn't even scuffed). All my ECU codes have cleared up now, except I still have P1346/P1349. I'm looking for thoughts on whether I should go ahead and chuck $70 on a camshaft position sensor, or if I'm better off doing the VVT oil control valve. The thing is, I damaged the valve (cracked it a little). Apparently there's a TSB on this issue - but I don't have a clue where to find the TSBs (without paying for them).

The second thing I'm wondering is, does anyone have a parts motor I could buy these pieces off of?

Those of you who are curious: all 16 valves were bent to varying degrees, one had a fair sized chunk out of it (intake valve). The seats and guides were fine, the shop replaced the valves and seals. If anyone wants to see the valves, I could snap some pictures. Maybe sell some souveniours? lol.

Edited by tomservo

Those of you who are curious: all 16 valves were bent to varying degrees, one had a fair sized chunk out of it (intake valve). The seats and guides were fine, the shop replaced the valves and seals. If anyone wants to see the valves, I could snap some pictures. Maybe sell some souveniours? lol.

How did you destroy the valves?

How did you destroy the valves?

I'd like to know that myself. There was no evidence of interference on the pistons - not even scuffs in the carbon. The timing chain is fine, the timing was perfect. The guy at the head shop said it could have been from an exhaust leak at the manifold, but how would that bend the intake valves?

I never even drove the car hard once it started burning oil - which was a very long time ago. after putting in new rings i just wanted it to run so I never have driven it hard since then.

Edited by tomservo

Some of you may remember me... About a year ago, I put new rings in me 01 Prizm - thankfully, it still doesn't use oil (about 12k later). It's been using a lot more valves lately, though - I just spent $1k replacing all 16. That was just the head shop's bill :/ (granted it was in canadian $) It seems to be running okay now, there was no interference (the carbon on the pistons wasn't even scuffed). All my ECU codes have cleared up now, except I still have P1346/P1349. I'm looking for thoughts on whether I should go ahead and chuck $70 on a camshaft position sensor, or if I'm better off doing the VVT oil control valve. The thing is, I damaged the valve (cracked it a little). Apparently there's a TSB on this issue - but I don't have a clue where to find the TSBs (without paying for them).

The second thing I'm wondering is, does anyone have a parts motor I could buy these pieces off of?

What engine do you have?

I have lots of parts in my yard.

Edited by Bikeman982

What parts on the 1zzfe are the same as on the 4A-FE or the 7A-FE, if any??

probably none - the CPS and OCV are parts of the VVT system :/ last time i checked at my dealer they couldn't even find a part number for the OCV.. i can get a new CPS for $80 but i'm trying to find used first...

1zzfe since its a 2001.

What parts on the 1zzfe are the same as on the 4A-FE or the 7A-FE, if any??

maybe some nuts and a couple bolts.

I found some used stuff - I'm going to replace the whole vvt system - OCV, CPS and the VVT unit on the camshaft (bet that's going to be a bitch to unbolt). I'll let you guys know how it runs after all's said and done, and if those damn codes go away.

Good news, guys - I replaced the oil control valve, and used my new scangauge 2 to turn off the CEL - drove it about 30 minutes and it didn't come back on - still fairly inconclusive, as I understand the test cycle is every 2 startups for these codes.

On a side note, the scangauge ii is awesome! I googled up group buys for it (found one at a hummer site) and paid $149 for mine - I missed out on a GB for $130 earlier this month. I have to say, this thing is well worth it.

I checked my compression today - 138 135 132 138 ... the numbers are ######, but at least they're all close to each other.. maybe my compression tester isn't working right (i can only hope)... before i had the head rebuilt, number 2 (135) was getting 185 while all the others had 0... go figure.. I'm trying some auto-rx so that's why i was doing the compression check... i'll let everyone know how the auto-rx does

Edited by tomservo

Good news, guys - I replaced the oil control valve, and used my new scangauge 2 to turn off the CEL - drove it about 30 minutes and it didn't come back on - still fairly inconclusive, as I understand the test cycle is every 2 startups for these codes.

On a side note, the scangauge ii is awesome! I googled up group buys for it (found one at a hummer site) and paid $149 for mine - I missed out on a GB for $130 earlier this month. I have to say, this thing is well worth it.

I checked my compression today - 138 135 132 138 ... the numbers are ######, but at least they're all close to each other.. maybe my compression tester isn't working right (i can only hope)... before i had the head rebuilt, number 2 (135) was getting 185 while all the others had 0... go figure.. I'm trying some auto-rx so that's why i was doing the compression check... i'll let everyone know how the auto-rx does

It will be interesting to see if the codes stay away and if your compression improves.

Keep us posted.

Yeah, numbers are too low - could be a wonky compression tester. Another possibility is the valve seats are not sealing well against the valve or the valves are sticking. Maybe the numbers will improve after you get some miles on that repaired VVT-i system. Keep up with the updates - very interested to see where this goes.