Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
crypticlineage

Engine Replacement / Emission Repairs : Advice Sought

Something unbelievable just happened. My car PASSED emission test. I don't know if I should be happy because it passed or be sad that the testing equipment in a metro city is so retarded that it cannot catch codes.

Yesterday after I had checked the codes with the scanner, I had erased them, and the car has barely been driven 20 miles ever since. When I pulled into the emission testing center today, I was expecting an automatic failure because the system isn't ready, but instead the car passed with flying colors. No problems whatsoever.

Anyone have an explanation? You can read the codes it has two posts above.

Anyway, I am relieved that it passed because I only have tomorrow's day before the registration expires, now the emission repairs can wait a bit, until the engine is replaced first.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Something unbelievable just happened. My car PASSED emission test. I don't know if I should be happy because it passed or be sad that the testing equipment in a metro city is so retarded that it cannot catch codes.

Yesterday after I had checked the codes with the scanner, I had erased them, and the car has barely been driven 20 miles ever since. When I pulled into the emission testing center today, I was expecting an automatic failure because the system isn't ready, but instead the car passed with flying colors. No problems whatsoever.

Anyone have an explanation? You can read the codes it has two posts above.

Anyway, I am relieved that it passed because I only have tomorrow's day before the registration expires, now the emission repairs can wait a bit, until the engine is replaced first.

Emissions repair/evap check your fuel cap if ther is a black dusting on the white part around the gasket and thats the issue.

Also when you gas up do you stop it when it kicks off or do you keep going?? if anyone keeps going QUIT the fuel causes the charcoal to plug the vent hoses.

Was it the same testing center that you brought the car previously before or a different one? My car was the same way - mechanically sound, just kept flagging the EVAP code early on in its life - testing center got tired of seeing my car over and over - and after awhile, just passed me. Second time around - same problem, but this time the car was CEL free for the time it was being tested (had three days left to register the car on the vehicle and already used the extension period - went out, bought a new car and suddenly my Corolla's EVAP system straightened out - no CELs, no issues at all.

Was it the same testing center that you brought the car previously before or a different one? My car was the same way - mechanically sound, just kept flagging the EVAP code early on in its life - testing center got tired of seeing my car over and over - and after awhile, just passed me. Second time around - same problem, but this time the car was CEL free for the time it was being tested (had three days left to register the car on the vehicle and already used the extension period - went out, bought a new car and suddenly my Corolla's EVAP system straightened out - no CELs, no issues at all.

It was a different testing station. It makes me wonder if their system has threshold set pretty high, so some emission problems are ignored. My CEL came back on within 5 miles of driving off the testing station just like I expected. That implies there must have been pending codes onboard which the testing center failed to detect.

I am going ahead with engine swap on Monday and will post more info once that is done.

V

Finally the engine arrived at the shop yesterday and this morning I dropped off my corolla there for the swap.

What should I do with the old engine? For all I know, it may have piston rings shot in one or two cylinders and that could be a summer project. But I do not have a place to keep at my house. Would it be reasonable to ask my mechanic (not the one doing the swap) if he'll keep it for me? How heavy are these things? Could I just carry it in my trunk when I pick up the car?

oh im sure he'll keep it for you if you offer :P its free money for him when he sells it to the junkyard for $100-$200. the 1zzfe weighs less than 300lbs.

I pulled an engine from a junkyard from a 1995 Corolla and put it in my daughter's Tercel trunk.

It was heavy and another guy helped me put it in. It stuck out a little, so I tied the trunk lid down.

It can be done.

I have three engines in my yard right now. Anyone need one?

Edited by Bikeman982

Kind of unusal for a salvage yard to charge a core on an engine, but not outside of the realm of possibilities. CORE is actually an acronym for "Cash On Return" - usually only applies to good, rebuildable parts. Though it would be nice to know what exactly went wrong with the original engine - probably not high on your list - as you're probably more anxious about getting the replacement engine working for you.

Just called the engine swap mechanic. He says the old engine will go back in core (don't know what that means), so I can't have it. Didn't know junkyards have a core return system too.

That means the engine will get rebuilt and then re-sold.

I for one am glad to hear you bought a different engine - be sure to pay careful attention to any problems at all in the first 30 days - go on a road trip or drive it a ton. You want to burn a good 1 or 2 k while it's under warranty to see if it burns oil, etc. With all I've spent on fixing my engine myself, I could have bought a low mileage engine from toysport ( 1ZZFE COROLLA VVTi 10K MILES $1,700.00). And w hile I'm nearly at that level now - new rings, new valves - I still have an oil pump, timing chain etc with 126k miles.

Edited by tomservo