Sign in to follow this  
Asfand

Vibration At Low Rpm Corolla 1997

ha ya if even 30 bucks, when i did my tranny swap i pulled the whole engine and did it that way and put it all back in started it up, ran like a v8 i was pissed, then i say the map sensor wasnt hooked up, those things can get ya, never heard of one going bad on a corolla, but ive owned man of rotary and thats like the first thing you check on those, sucks you spent that much money prolly was like 10 bucks for the part and like 640 bucks for the hours they prolly spent looking for the problem, least it is fixed now

bitter news indeed... :)

it hurts hearing that :(....

a big price for ignorance....

The mechanic said he did Fuel injection service, cleaned up idle control motor and cleaned up EGR valve too. Charge for labour is $180. Parts is $480. Does it sound reasonable ?

I am thinking of replacing the following parts too.. ( yes, myself )

1) Timing & drive belts

2) EGR valve

3) windshield washer liquid pump.. ( is it the same as water pump ? )

Are the above 3 doable ? I have never done anything on car except changing bulbs.

I probably must buy the chilton manual..

Labor charge seems about right. As for the MAP sensor - varies wildly, anywhere from $40 to $290 for a brand new one, depending on vendor. Depending on how much they charged for the other services - seems a bit steep side to me (part cost-wise).

If you are thinking about tackling the timing belt and EGR valve - might want to pickup atleast some repair manual (especially if you have not done anything like this before). One it will give you an idea of the amount of labor involved and secondly what tools you might need. All of these are within the realm of a DIY job - just won't be very easy.

In the past - I would have farmed this out to a dealership, since it was so time consuming - timing belt goes for about $200 parts and labor, waterpump is about $150 - replaced at the same time for basically no additional labor, have all v-belts replaced - since they have to come off anyway to get to the timing belt. Well worth the cost - labor-wise in my opinion. The EGR can be tricky to get off - not much clearance. Pricey part too - runs around $200 for just the valve.

Windshield washer pump is not the same as the water pump - water pump (coolant pump) can be changed when you do the timing belt - since you have everything off there. Windshield washer pump is pretty easy to change in comparison.

good advice tally for fish is up to 10998, not a bad idea to get a book so you know all the facts, also if you are up to it do what i did when i was younger, find older people or even people at shops sometimes let you watch them and explain how they do things, i never took an autoclass in my life but ive sat many of hour at shops or friends house learn how to do those types of things, reading the manual front to back is also a good idea time consuming yes learn alot about the average automobile you will, save lots of money is also a plus from not having people charge you for labor, but never tackle a job unless you are 100percent confident you know how to it, or make sure you have a back up car just incase your car is down for a day or two, seen too many people start projects and not be able to finish them in time and have to bum rides, my wishes go out to you and your car