Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
corranhorn

Hotter In Engine Bay Than Before

I got mine from jcwhitney.com Directions said something like "wet the wrap, but don't submerge it in water", just to get it wet but not soaked I guess. That was tons of fun with gloves on.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Wraps and headers really depends on the material of the header itself and how it was wrapped. Some headers have a bad rep for cracking when wrapped (most mild steel ones, medium to thin metal). Some of the heavier ones and stainless steel variants (cromed ones as well) can take the extra heat - will eventually crack, but by that time, most would have moved onto other designs - biggest problem there is in hydrogen embrittlement (not permanent, given enough time and heat - can rediffuse the hydrogen out of the metal).

I've wrapped the ones that I expect to last only a year or less - or ones that I will be constantly taking off the car. The others are Jet-Hot coated or similar coatings - not quite as effective as a good wrap (Jet-Hot around 60% reduction of heat compared to plain header - wraps are around 70% or so for the same), but doesn't suffer the same cracking issues. Key here is that the coating has to be applied to BOTH sides, not just the exterior. I had one header on a SB Chevy that got holed - upon inspection - the header was almost completely rotted out on the inside, coating was keeping it together.

weird, what brand? my DEI said nothing of wetting it. i just wrapped it on, tied it down, and put it on the car. it smoked for about 15 minutes of driving and smelled like burning pancakes. after that the smell persisted when they got hot for a day or 2 and then it was fine.

people stared like crazy when i stopped at a light and the smoke was pouring from underhood, i dont blame them! it looked bad, but by the time i got home from my little late night trip, the smoke was all gone. it was about 7 miles round trip, with a topspeed of about 50mph.

The 8th generation corolla has the exhaust headers at the rear. My exhaust headers have a shield over them. So................How about wraping the (what I believe to be aluminum) shield to help insulate as oppose to wrapping the headers directly to help alleviate the corrosion of the headers? Or do I just sound like a retard?

Edited by twinky64

no point in wrapping over the heat sheild, the wrap has to be in contact to work. you could add some thermal padding to the heat sheild, but why? is it making something too warm?

weird, what brand? my DEI said nothing of wetting it. i just wrapped it on, tied it down, and put it on the car. it smoked for about 15 minutes of driving and smelled like burning pancakes. after that the smell persisted when they got hot for a day or 2 and then it was fine.

people stared like crazy when i stopped at a light and the smoke was pouring from underhood, i dont blame them! it looked bad, but by the time i got home from my little late night trip, the smoke was all gone. it was about 7 miles round trip, with a topspeed of about 50mph.

Here it is:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...tt=exhaust+wrap

[i wish I would have saved the directions now] It said wet the wrap, wrap it on tight overlapping 1/2in, and let it dry by leaving it in the sun for the day. (I remember that part because it sounded really weird. I just baked it in the oven at 175 for 45 minutes and installed it the next day.)

Mine didn't smoke too bad - but I had the hood open and just let it idle for 20 minutes, giving it a strong rev every 5 or so.

I had also considered buying the following but ended up deciding against it...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...tt=exhaust+wrap

My oem exhaust manifold had a crack in it so I replaced everything from that manifold back, and decided to opt for a stainless steel racing header (4-2-1), hi flow cat, and catback exhaust/muffler.

However, since replacing the exhaust it seems hotter under the hood that it did oem. In fact the strut bar and intake pipe are pretty darn hot when I check them immediately after driving at normal temp. I could have sworn I followed the directions on the exhaust wrap to a "T" when I wrapped the header and the downpipe. I've always read/heard that exhaust wrap was supposed to keep your engine bay cooler....I had assumed they had meant "...than stock". Is it supposed to be hotter now, with a wrapped header, than it was with stock exhaust?

Here's pics of it... Looks the same as every other pic I've seen:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i38/corr...derWrapped1.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i38/corr...derWrapped2.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i38/corr.../EngineBay1.jpg

Either way my intake pipe gets hot, which helps to negate the idea of an aftermarket intake if it's just sucking in hot air. What can I wrap the intake pipe with to help keep the intake temp down? I was thinking about just using the exhaust wrap, but the last thing I need is fiberglass up in the filter. Thanks for your suggestions!

Looks like my engines (except I don't have headers).

Maybe you could put some additional wrapping around the pipes??

Wow, didn't know there was "name brand" exhaust wrap! I'll probably end up doing that - just rewrap with good stuff. I like the hood scoop idea - I think it would work perfectly but the idea of tearing up my hood isn't very appealing to me right now. Too much going on already with this car. :angry: Uninstall, rewrap, reinstall shouldn't be more than an hour or so. I swear this car is becoming my second full time job. lol Thankfully it's fun!

Yep, DEI is THE name brand in thermal wraps. theyre not outrageously priced either. im not sure where you could get steel bailing wire, but any steel or preferably stainless steel wire would work just fine. stay away from aluminum wire, it wont hold tension under heat as well.

i just guessed how much a runner would take sort of. they include a peice of paper with a formula which is runner diameter times lenght times some number gives you how many inches to cut. i took that number and added some onto that number. i think it ended up being about 100 inches per runner and had a little left over from each runner. better to cut too much than not enough.

The e-Bay DEI wrap looks pretty good.

Would it be worth getting to put on a regular exhaust??

no, dont put it on cast iron. it will greatly weaken the cast iron, the stock manifold is already prone to develope a crack. cast iron is thick enough and low enough density that it insulates on its own pretty well, and coupled with the stock heatsheilds is plenty well enough insulated.

The e-Bay DEI wrap looks pretty good.

Would it be worth getting to put on a regular exhaust??

no, dont put it on cast iron. it will greatly weaken the cast iron, the stock manifold is already prone to develope a crack. cast iron is thick enough and low enough density that it insulates on its own pretty well, and coupled with the stock heatsheilds is plenty well enough insulated.

By putting it on the cast iron stock pipes it could cause the exhaust manifold to crack??