Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Braddale

Throttle Body Cleaning

I have a 2000 with almost 125,000 kms on it, I have never had the throttle body cleaned, just wanted some opinions if it is a good preventative measure to have it cleaned.

Car runs great, although I started to notice last winter that when it was really cold (Canada) and it had been sitting a long time the idle would be a little lumpy for a second or so, then settle down.

Any advice appreciated.

Should be part of a good maintenance program - any deposits in the TB will make for uneven idle, poor acceleration or engine hesitation. Same goes for the MAF and IAT sensor in your intake (in hte top cover of the air box).

At the very least - it will should you how well the engine is operating for you. I've seen some TB that were very clean, even after 50K+ miles, some TB get very dirty quickly - varys from car to car, even within the same model line or generation.

This is a very simple DIY project - just need soem extra time to do it.

I used a Valvoline TB cleaner spray on my car. It came very clean, not to mention better throttle response & airflow. So, yes it be a good thing to clean it out as carbon deposits and other things can block airflow. More air = better throttle response and less gas usage.

The best way to clean the TB is to pull it from the vehicle. Most sprays wont clean the underside of the butterfly valve.

BTW, another good reason to clean the TB often is to keep the butterfly valve from sticking. I have seen this on two vehicles. It stuck in the "open" position, which was an eye opener/heart stopper for the driver.

The best way to clean the TB is to pull it from the vehicle. Most sprays wont clean the underside of the butterfly valve.

BTW, another good reason to clean the TB often is to keep the butterfly valve from sticking. I have seen this on two vehicles. It stuck in the "open" position, which was an eye opener/heart stopper for the driver.

Do you also lubricate the butterfly valve after you clean it?

Nope. Nothing on the TB needs lubrication. The reason it sticks (and I guess I should have stated this earlier) is because a ring of carbon buildup will form near the lip of the butterfly valve around the inside of the TB and the valve will not open and close properly. Just clean everything well (I use brake parts cleaner if I pull it and TB cleaner if I leave it on the vehicle) and it should be fine. BTW, you will notice a throttle response difference!

Throttle body cleaning is a must do task to maintain decent performance. Carbuerator cleaner cost less in most cases with the same effective ingrediants in the can of throttle body cleaner. Brake parts cleaner is the ultimate solvent.

Throttle body cleaning is a must do task to maintain decent performance. Carbuerator cleaner cost less in most cases with the same effective ingrediants in the can of throttle body cleaner. Brake parts cleaner is the ultimate solvent.

Guys do yourselves a favor and clean it on the car.

get a throttle body cleaner and an old toothbrush open the valve and spray and scrub.that vent in the bottom make sure you get some in there and let it sit in there,thats your idle air control.also spray the shaft and springs on the outside also.

Brake clean is really a no no it doesnt leave any lube residue like the throttle body cleaner.The brake clean removes all lube.And there must be some left thats why you use it on BRAKES.

I clean mine between 15-30k,sometimes I forget.OOOOPPPSSSS

There is a 3 part kit sold and used by SET dealers.it cleans throttle,decarbons the top of engine and is an injector cleaner added to tank.works great.

Carb clean will and can cause your plugs to fuse together,then no vroooomm vvvrrrroooommmm.

Why? Removing the TB is easy and the best way to ensure that everything is cleaned well while not spraying all of that gunk down into the manifold.

Why? Removing the TB is easy and the best way to ensure that everything is cleaned well while not spraying all of that gunk down into the manifold.

I have never removed the throttle body (I have taken out an engine and removed the complete intake manifold with the TB attached).

Is there a gasket that needs to be replaced when it is removed?

Besides the bolts that attach it to the intake manifold, and the tube from the air inlet, what else needs to be disconnected to remove it - (I will have to take a closer look when I get the chance)?

I have never removed the throttle body (I have taken out an engine and removed the complete intake manifold with the TB attached).

Besides the bolts that attach it to the intake manifold, and the tube from the air inlet, what else needs to be disconnected to remove it - (I will have to take a closer look when I get the chance)?

There is likely a paper gasket. (Sidenote: do not use RTV in place of this gasket)

Most TBs have other sensors mounted to them (like the IAC, etc.) that will need to be unplugged before it is removed.

There is likely a paper gasket. (Sidenote: do not use RTV in place of this gasket)

Most TBs have other sensors mounted to them (like the IAC, etc.) that will need to be unplugged before it is removed.

Isn't it also connected to the throttle cable and that has to be removed as well?

Here's a related question if I may ask.....I'm not sure about the thickness of the TB's....is it possible to bore them out to be a little larger, say, maybe with a cylinder hone or something? And would it do anything for performance, depending on how much you were able to bore it out? I figure I might try something like that if the TB needed a deep cleaning....

Here's a related question if I may ask.....I'm not sure about the thickness of the TB's....is it possible to bore them out to be a little larger, say, maybe with a cylinder hone or something? And would it do anything for performance, depending on how much you were able to bore it out? I figure I might try something like that if the TB needed a deep cleaning....

They make bigger bore throttle bodies out there.

because if you bore it you have to have a butterfly to match and shaft also.