Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
twinky64

8th Gen Gauges

On my 98 corolla, there is no tachometer. The speedometer gauge has an LCD screen which displays the odometer and tripmeter. The fuel/temp gauge doesn't have an LCD.

My question is: on an 8th gen. gauge WITH TACH, what does the LCD under the tach display?

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

It displays the outside temperature. NOTE: if you want to swap in a cluster with a tach, it will work - just plug and play - but your mileage readout will be different and the temp will display -E-.

It displays the outside temperature. NOTE: if you want to swap in a cluster with a tach, it will work - just plug and play - but your mileage readout will be different and the temp will display -E-.

So, the mileage is not recorded and stored in the ECU? Its stored in the cluster itself? Also, why would the temp display E? Do I not have that wire that reads outside temp?

So, the mileage is not recorded and stored in the ECU? Its stored in the cluster itself? Also, why would the temp display E? Do I not have that wire that reads outside temp?

Nope - mileage is on the cluster itself - not a deal breaker as you could simply transfer the speedo from one to the other. Correct on the temp - models without the tach as OEM are missing the thermistor that measures temperature.

Correct on the temp - models without the tach as OEM are missing the thermistor that measures temperature.

Is there not a way to install the missing thermistor? I'm guessing that the wiring harness would still have the wire needed for the thermistor. Where is the thermistor usually located?

I've been lamenting the lack of a tach in my 98 Corolla and was very pleased to find this thread. Much better solution that an aftermarket tach.

Thanks,

jim

Thermistor is located by the front grille - may luck out and have the wiring already there, just have to add the sensor. Easiest way to get one if from a salvage yard - dealership would probably not stock that thermistor - have to order it for you.

Is the attached pic the right connector? Sorry for the poor quality, it was taken with a cell phone. This is behind the bumper, directly under the hood latch, about 8 to 12 inches down I'd guess.

post-10433-1170275578_thumb.jpg

Is the attached pic the right connector? Sorry for the poor quality, it was taken with a cell phone. This is behind the bumper, directly under the hood latch, about 8 to 12 inches down I'd guess.

post-10433-1170275578_thumb.jpg

That could be it; since it is not connected to anything.

That could be it; since it is not connected to anything.

My concern is that it might be for fog lights or something else I haven't even thought of. However, it does appear to be in the correct location for the thermister fish mentioned.

I do wish the car had fog lights. Maybe someday I'll get a factory service manual and figure out how to get more of the features I want into this plain little CE.

Yup - that is the thermistor. You can double check by probing pins #8 and #16 on the wiring harness "A" - the 16 pin wire bundle that goes to the back of the cluster (it is the largest of the 4 bundles back there).

Thanks again to everyone in this forum for all the wondefully helpful information.

I acquired via ebay a used instrument cluster with tach, and swapped my speedo (including odometer) into it, and now I have a functional tach!

I do have the -E- on the LCD display instead of a temperature, but that's because I don't have the thermister as fish has said. I'll hopefully find one that'll plug into that empty connector in my car and have that feature working too. However, even without that feature, having a tach is awesome!

fish, if you ever find yourself on the eastern side of the bay, give me a shout. I'll treat you to a beverage of your choosing. :)

thanks again,

jim

That's great news that you now have a working tachometer.

What are you doing with your old instrument cluster?

Well, years ago I had a ford probe, and I went nuts with "upgrade" and "tweaks". Granted, the mazda 2.2L Turbo engine was fun, but I reached a point where I had more projects going on than I could keep straight, and the car was in a bazillion pieces, and I never did get it back together. At one point I had 3 of them (a parts donor car, an engine donor car, and the one I was trying to get back in shape). Then the county came along and said I was in violation of the junk vehicle laws, and off to the scrapyard they went.

I've decided I'm not going to go nuts with this vehicle. I want to keep as close to stock as possible in most cases. So when I need to make a hole in a plastic panel, I first buy a replacement panel and put the original in a safe storage place, so I can put it back if I ever need to.

My plan is to hang on to the original instrument cluster for this reason. However, I might get rid of it on ebay after several month. I'm just not sure yet...

I did end up re-using the speedo from the original panel, and I transferred all the lights rather than painstakingly testing the lights in the new panel. Also, the new panel has a problem with the left turn signal indicator not lighting. If the highbeams happen to be on, the left blinkers cause the highbeam indicator to blink. I don't know if the original panel had that problem. I'll track it down eventually. Hopefully something super simple.

Would an 8th gen instrument cluster work in your 7th gen cars?

Oh yeah, this was also the first instrument panel swap I ever did on a vehicle with no speedometer cable. :blink:

That's great news that you now have a working tachometer.

What are you doing with your old instrument cluster?

Well, years ago I had a ford probe, and I went nuts with "upgrade" and "tweaks". Granted, the mazda 2.2L Turbo engine was fun, but I reached a point where I had more projects going on than I could keep straight, and the car was in a bazillion pieces, and I never did get it back together. At one point I had 3 of them (a parts donor car, an engine donor car, and the one I was trying to get back in shape). Then the county came along and said I was in violation of the junk vehicle laws, and off to the scrapyard they went.

I've decided I'm not going to go nuts with this vehicle. I want to keep as close to stock as possible in most cases. So when I need to make a hole in a plastic panel, I first buy a replacement panel and put the original in a safe storage place, so I can put it back if I ever need to.

My plan is to hang on to the original instrument cluster for this reason. However, I might get rid of it on ebay after several month. I'm just not sure yet...

I did end up re-using the speedo from the original panel, and I transferred all the lights rather than painstakingly testing the lights in the new panel. Also, the new panel has a problem with the left turn signal indicator not lighting. If the highbeams happen to be on, the left blinkers cause the highbeam indicator to blink. I don't know if the original panel had that problem. I'll track it down eventually. Hopefully something super simple.

Would an 8th gen instrument cluster work in your 7th gen cars?

Oh yeah, this was also the first instrument panel swap I ever did on a vehicle with no speedometer cable. :blink:

The instrument panel will probably not work for me, I was just curious as to what you would do with it.

I have a lot of left-over parts in my garage and was wondering what I should do with them.

I had another engine and now I have bought a car to put it in from e-Bay.

That means the bad engine I take out will end up in my pile of parts.

Looks like I've hijacked this topic. :unsure:

In any case, I figured I'd update the information about my instrument cluster swap in case anyone was interested.

I noticed first that the left turn signal caused the high beam indicator to flash if the high beams were on. But not if they were off. And the left turn signal indicator remained dark. Yesterday I noticed that turning on the rear defrost caused the left turn signal indicator to light.

After some deliberation, I decided to put things back to the original configuration.

First though, I decided to scan the circuits into a computer so I could figure out everything that is different about them. The instrument cluster is longer than the scanner, so I had to scan from each end then attempt to stitch them back together afterwards.

Here's my original cluster:

post-10433-1170554741_thumb.jpg

and here's the one I bought:

post-10433-1170554795_thumb.jpg

I circled the area that is different for the turn signals in blue. I also made some notes about all over the place.

In any case, perhaps someone else will find these useful. I'm still working on identifying all the differences.

jim

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

(Only shown to guests, not registered members.)