Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
twinky64

Eerie Braking Sound

What are the symptoms I would experience while driving if my rotors start to crack? What is the possiblilty that as soon as the crack occurs, it will instantaneously just sunder apart?

Just talked about in your other thread on drum brakes:

https://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?...9477&st=15#

For the record - I have never personally gotton a rotor to blow up even under the most stress. The pulsing of the pedal and basically zero brakes will make you stop before you ever get to that point. But there was a televised one on a Corvette C5R some years ago that had its rotor blow apart at the end of a straight on the SpeedChannel network. Was not a pretty sight.

Yea, i know it was on two different threads. It just happened that both topics were covering the same topic. If that makes sense. One topic was mainly you replying and the other was mainly bitter. I wanted to get both of your opinions

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

What are the symptoms I would experience while driving if my rotors start to crack? What is the possiblilty that as soon as the crack occurs, it will instantaneously just sunder apart?

Just talked about in your other thread on drum brakes:

https://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?...9477&st=15#

For the record - I have never personally gotton a rotor to blow up even under the most stress. The pulsing of the pedal and basically zero brakes will make you stop before you ever get to that point. But there was a televised one on a Corvette C5R some years ago that had its rotor blow apart at the end of a straight on the SpeedChannel network. Was not a pretty sight.

Yea, i know it was on two different threads. It just happened that both topics were covering the same topic. If that makes sense. One topic was mainly you replying and the other was mainly bitter. I wanted to get both of your opinions

Both threads illustrate that drilled rotors will crack and produce bad results.

quick run down, rotors wont make your car stop soon or make a stock pad bite hard, they only help by cooling better and help fight lose of break feel after reptiveted use, way to help your rotors from cracking, after using them alot, drive around slowly use breaks when needed, let them cool naturaly instead of a quick cool down, quick cool downs mean they will crack sooner

acutally slotted rotors can increase the bite of the pad, each slot wipes the pad surface clean so that the pads have less glaze on them. if you look at used pads from a car with slotted brakes you'll see that the pad surface is duller than those from a car with plain rotors.

yes, compound has alot to do with it, but the slots do help keep the pad surface cleaner and able to always bite with full force not to mention the advantage in the rain! if you get water between the pad (or on the pad itself) and rotor the slots help the steam to escape without floating the brake pad.

sometimes a BBK isnt always available. imho the best thing i did was get hawk HPS pads. btw, dual piston calipers from an ST185 celica DO fit the 7th gen corolla/2nd gen prizm. the caliper brackets bolt right on, i have a pair that i'll rebuild and paint over the winter and install in the spring for summertime.

heck ya good info on the st185, ehh big break kit is always avaible, buy bigger rotors with the match caliper and make your own braket for the caliper

making a caliper bracket is alot harder then just saying make one. the bracket has to stand up to some intense stresses, and do you know how much it costs to have one off pieces designed and produced?!? when it comes to brakes dont play around, do whats known to work or leave it alone.

well i have had to make alot of stuff, brackets, block off plates, mounts, for my old rx7, i used to work engineering go karts and atvs, i learn alot about different metals and such, i made a bbk for a 93 rx7 and they are still working 3 years later, it can be a pain and not safe if you dont know what you are doing, for all newbies out there bitter makes a good point when it comes to brakes dont mess around, its your life, consult someone before doing this like that, learn from people who have done it before, thats how i learned and i shall pass it on someday, thats how it works