Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
azsunlover

Best Cold Air Intake? Mixed Info....

Just kiss and make up. Not everyone has the same opinion.

Personally, I don't think they are a rip-off, just too expensive for me to afford.

I PM'd Wyle and we mutally agreed to drop the issue with the XRS and S. The way I see it, it is just a difference of opinion and it isn't important or relevant to the original post.

Happy now Bikeman?

Good job,

I am happy, if you two are happy.

Ok, so here's the bad news and some good news for all of you '06 Corolla owners. The ONLY difference in the intake that I am told is an added little vacuum hose or emissions hose of sorts.....I haven't gotten a chance to compare the '05 model yet....but 2 guys from the dealership told me neither the AEM or the TRD intakes will work on the '06 models. The guy actually says that TRD may not even make one because of lack of accessory sales on the Corollas......So I decided to take matters into my own hands. I removed the plumbing off the airbox, which was very restrictive. I tried it with the open airbox, noticed an increase in power and a huge increase in sound between 3500 and 5000 rpm, which was cool outside, but a bit annoying inside the cabin. I then decided to go to Ace hardware and buy a 3 foot length of thick plastic spa hose, 2" inside diameter and a 90 degree elbow made of ABS plastic that happen to fit very snug right over the flex hose. The rest was very simple. I unclipped the airbox, removed the filter to expose the hole, removed the battery, then me and my friend shoved the flexible hose length from the inside of the box outward, routed down below the headlight (hose not flexible enough to go through small hole where you would have like to put it), and ended up hanging down about an inch below the bottom front molding. I then used the 90 degree piece to attach to the end of the hose, drilled a small hole in it, then zip-tied it to the tow loop, therefore making it sort of a very clean looking ram air intake that you can hardly tell is even there unless you look closely. The wooshing sound is just about gone completely, however can definately feel increased torque and a little hp on the top end, especially at highway speed, due to the cooler air coming in. This cost me a whopping $13 for the parts. Worth every penny.

plastic tubing is a big NO NO, theres the potential for melting and sucking into the engine, also who knows what sorts of acids the Polyvinylchloride is releasing when it gets hot, i know when it burns it releases some REALLY nasty hydrochloric acid and other very harmful chemicals.

however where you have located it sounds acceptable, it really sounds like you caught onto what i did to my stock airbox. that little tiny snorkel tube was a huge impediment to airflow, going down to less than 2" in diameter at one place. im glad that your project turned out well. i'd suggest finding a way to remove the large plastic resonator from the wheel well and put a pipe to down there to suck in air, you could add a small cone foam air filter for even better air filtration without any loss of power.

The o5 and 06s both have the smog pump. Injen CAI has a spot to hook up the pump. On second thought, that's for the 2ZZ. Nevermind. But the point is, some intakes have a place to attach a hose, which can be capped or directed to the smog pump. Check out Cosmo.

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp...26&pid=1312

I've purchased a TRD intake tube from the supercharger kit and plan to modify it to do exactly what you have done. I'll probably have to pay to get some tube fabricated though, so it will be a while.

Edited by jupiterboy

Bitter, the plastic tubing is spa-flex hose. It is thick walled plastic with metal spirals inside it. I checked with the store guys and they told me that it's high temp stuff, designed specifically for outdoor use in the Arizona sunshine. The tube is only running from the airbox along the wheelwell, and into the front air dam, so at worst, temperatures wouldn't rise above 150 degrees in that area. I'm also going to get some heat shielding tape as well to help keep the air cool.

Jupiter, thanks for the recommendation. They have a full cold air system as well as the short ram that supposedly works with the 05-06 models CE & S. Cold air system is $116 plus shipping. Not bad.