Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
jupiterboy

Transmission Chatter Update

Here you can see the fork on the diagram.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/jupiterboy/Trans.gif

The flywheel is new. So if the problem exists before the clutch/flywheel and after I suspect that is not it.

I'm finding out I'm not the only one with this issue. I'm off to the dealership.

Let us know how it turns out.

trap

As I might have predicted, the dealership is out of ideas so now they can't hear the sound anymore.

I'll go drive the car this morning, get it hot, and bring it back and get a manager of some sort to ride with me. I'm really getting weary of listening to these people cry about mean ole' Toyota and how they only get paid to replace parts not diagnose problems.

how they only get paid to replace parts not diagnose problems.

thats the biggest load of 'bullspit' i've ever heard! i suggest you goto another dealer.

how they only get paid to replace parts not diagnose problems.

thats the biggest load of 'bullspit' i've ever heard! i suggest you goto another dealer.

I may. The guy with the bad ears is only a service advisor. He's just a smiling Jack. I don't think he has told me anything true in all my dealings with him. You would think he might slip up one time at least. lol

Anyway, I got the service manager to drive. Unfortunately the car had cooled and he has a bad leg and the the whole driving the manual didn't go to well for him.

He's leaving the issue and the job open, and has placed a call to the regional Toyota office. Someone may drive up for a ride soon and have an official ruling.

I'm not really sure what another dealer would do at this point. Another XRS owner with similar problem is having the transaxle replaced. I'll follow that and see how it goes.

as a service tech at a dealership an integral part of your job is diagnosis. honestly, if they dont think thats their job then who's job is it? its not the service writer or partsdesk, salesman, book keeper, manager or your job at all. the service writer gets the symptoms and from there its upto the technician to confirm the issue, diagnose the issue, repair the issue, and confirm that the repair was a sucess. theyre telling you this load of crap because its not PROFITABLE for them to spend the time on it. they get paid book time on things, meaning if the do a 30 minute oil change in 10 minutes they just earned an extra 20 minutes of pay. if they spend 6 hours to diagnose your noise, thats 6 hours theyre not getting paid for unless the service writer is really nice to them.

Well we are at a clear crossroads.

They don't want to replace the transmission. I'm not sure that would fix the problem either.

I think it is fine to escalate the situation and have Toyota comment through the regional office.

It is really a non-issue to me whether they have written me off or not. What I'm most worried about is a situation where there is a design flaw that doesn't have a fix yet. I have many paths of recourse, which I will certainly persue but in logical order.

Well we are at a clear crossroads.

They don't want to replace the transmission. I'm not sure that would fix the problem either.

I think it is fine to escalate the situation and have Toyota comment through the regional office.

It is really a non-issue to me whether they have written me off or not. What I'm most worried about is a situation where there is a design flaw that doesn't have a fix yet. I have many paths of recourse, which I will certainly persue but in logical order.

You have to find many people with the same problem and organize. That's how you will get some attention.

I have five people right now. If I can get a high quality recording of the noise, then the five can confirm that it is the same issue. Then we can blow it up and take it up the chain. Small steps toward a larger result. My end goal is not to get in a pissing match with some local manager but to end up with a car that I'm happy with.

I have five people right now. If I can get a high quality recording of the noise, then the five can confirm that it is the same issue. Then we can blow it up and take it up the chain. Small steps toward a larger result. My end goal is not to get in a pissing match with some local manager but to end up with a car that I'm happy with.

Bump. New small development. I've had two people mention the same possible fix, which is to grease the face of the throwout bearing and clutch plate finger. One guy at a race shop said that they must have put the throwout bearing in dry. Now another guy on another forum makes the same statement.

Why would they not grease the bearing?

Bump. New small development. I've had two people mention the same possible fix, which is to grease the face of the throwout bearing and clutch plate finger. One guy at a race shop said that they must have put the throwout bearing in dry. Now another guy on another forum makes the same statement.

Because as I said earlier, your dealer isn't a transmission expert and they shouldn't have pretended to be. Taking apart your transmission wasn't acceptable, neither was giving the car back without fixing the problem, and neither was the crap they shoved at you about how they aren't paid to diagnose, etc. They should have just given you a new transmission, clutch, whatever to fix the problem and make you happy, end of story. I'd report that dealer's sorry butt to Toyota Regional, and then lodge a complaint with corporate. Encourage your friends that have used that dealer and had similar experiences with their cars to do the same.

They sound like a bad dealer and Toyota should allow you to and ask you to try another dealer and let them attempt to fix the problem under warranty.

Grease the throw-out bearing and clutch plate finger - sounds like that should have been done when the transmission was out.

Edited by Bikeman982

They are supposed to - says so right in the service manual. Technician might have just half-assed the job, or just forgot to put on the grease. Supposed to be a moly-based lithium grease. I know a few Chevy guys that sometimes grease them - their response, they are pre-greased when they get them. Problem is, they might have been pre-greased until they switched vendors.

Worth a shot - dealership has done more than most dealerships I've known in this instance.