Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
jupiterboy

Transmission Chatter Update

It is much improved, although I may have someone look at the drive axle. There is some noise still, and now it is hard to remeber what it was exactly like before. I still hear the noise stop when I depress the clutch pedal, and it is most evident while slowing in the lower two gears.

I have a local friend that is a Toyota dealership mechanic. I'll give him a ride soon and get another opinion.

trap
It is much improved, although I may have someone look at the drive axle. There is some noise still, and now it is hard to remeber what it was exactly like before. I still hear the noise stop when I depress the clutch pedal, and it is most evident while slowing in the lower two gears.

I have a local friend that is a Toyota dealership mechanic. I'll give him a ride soon and get another opinion.

It is possible that the transmission was not the source of the noise and it may be coming from your CV joints or the wheel bearings. Could also be a brake component. Let us know what the mechanic thinks after he has his ride.

It is possible that the transmission was not the source of the noise and it may be coming from your CV joints or the wheel bearings. Could also be a brake component. Let us know what the mechanic thinks after he has his ride.

Given the scenario please elaborate a bit. Which brake components? Could a poorly turned rotor cause a noise only when the transmission was engaged?

FWIW, here's the list of parts replaced so far with tech notes.

First Attempt

1 90365-33006 Bearing Cylindrical

1 90364-32014 Bearing, Needle Roll

1 90364-38007 Bearing, Needle Roll

1 33348-12010 Washer, 1st Gear THR

1 90363-21001 Bearing, Radial Ball

1 90903-63010 Bearing, Radial Ball

1 90363-25074 Bearing, Radial Ball

1 90364-31002 Bearing, Needle Roll

1 90364-29002 Bearing, Needle Roll

1 90560-29001 Spacer

1 90364-24010 Bearing, Needle Roll

1 33393-12050 Hub, Transmission CL

1 33394-12020 Key, Synchromesh SHI

1 90363-18013 Bearing, Radial Ball

1 33037-20010 Gear Sub-Assy, 6th

1 90365-25021 Bearing, Cylindrical

1 90364-22008 Bearing, Needle Roll

1 31230-12191 Bearing Assy, Clutch

1 33429-12010 Gear, 6th Driven

Tech Note: Excessive Bearing Noise. Bearing Dammage 334012 N. N Dissassembled transaxle, removed all bearings and inspected. Found needle bearings on output shaft on 1st and 2nd gear damaged. Causing fluid contamination and bearing noise. Replaced all bearings on output shaft. Dissassembled input shaft, found needle bearings not operating smoothly. Replaced all needle bearings on input shaft. Also replaced case bearings for input and output shaft on both ends of case. Cleaned case, and all gears and synchros, reassemble. Reinstalled in vehicle found normal operation.

Second Attempt

1 PTR15-20000-25 Clutch Assy

1 127799 Locktite

1 31210-12251 Cover Assy, Clutch

1 31230-12191 Bearing Assy, Clutch

1 31250-12361 Disc Assy, Clutch

Tech Note: Clutch disc out of balance and vibrating 311021 T. Y R*R Transaxle assembly, replaced clutch disc, flywheel, pressure plate and fork bearing, reinstalled. Test drove. Found normal noises at this time.

Edited by jupiterboy

I would say the noise is unchanged. I think that they always finish the tech notes and say it was fixed. They wouldn't say the problem still exists and give it back to you.

I've located owners in NY, Ontario and Chicago area that are reporting the same problem. It does sound like normal transmission noise but it gets louder as the car gets hot. It really can get to you because it is a metalic scrape sound.

I think they have missed the problem so far, but they have sunk money and time into solving it, and I've put in money to install more robust parts.

Guy in Ontatio went to a lot and test drove a few new XRSs and he said he did not hear the noise.

I'm taking ours to a different Toyota Technician this afternoon to let him listen.

I'm just trying to think of those secondary and tertiary problems that might be causing the issue. By crossing with the other owners I can annecdotally eliminate motor mount inserts and synthetic gear oil.

1.) What if a wheel bearing failure put an extra load on the axle and made the differential whine?

2.) What if a body weld was weak and the frame geometry had shifted changine the angle on the shaft?

I would say the noise is unchanged. I think that they always finish the tech notes and say it was fixed. They wouldn't say the problem still exists and give it back to you.

I've located owners in NY, Ontario and Chicago area that are reporting the same problem. It does sound like normal transmission noise but it gets louder as the car gets hot. It really can get to you because it is a metalic scrape sound.

I think they have missed the problem so far, but they have sunk money and time into solving it, and I've put in money to install more robust parts.

Guy in Ontatio went to a lot and test drove a few new XRSs and he said he did not hear the noise.

I'm taking ours to a different Toyota Technician this afternoon to let him listen.

I'm just trying to think of those secondary and tertiary problems that might be causing the issue. By crossing with the other owners I can annecdotally eliminate motor mount inserts and synthetic gear oil.

1.) What if a wheel bearing failure put an extra load on the axle and made the differential whine?

2.) What if a body weld was weak and the frame geometry had shifted changine the angle on the shaft?

What if the rotating axle reached the fundamental harmonic with the surrounding air??

So I've got a guitar string for an axle. lol

Anyone know of any JDM tuning pegs so I can at least dial it in to a natural C.

The way to counteract it would be to install some offsetting weight to the axle. It may not rotate quite the same way and the noise would be eliminated or at least changed to a different frequency.

I'm not sure if the Corolla XRS has a vibration damper on one of its axles or not - but I know that some Matrix XRS and Celica GT-S have them. I'll have to check on mine to see if there is one - pretty sure there is.

I'm not sure if the Corolla XRS has a vibration damper on one of its axles or not - but I know that some Matrix XRS and Celica GT-S have them. I'll have to check on mine to see if there is one - pretty sure there is.

My cars have a large rubber piece on the large half-shaft that is probably there to prevent vibration. There is nothing on the shorter half-shaft.

Back from the other side of town with a different Toyota tech. We test drove it and he had no problem hearing the noise. Put it on the rack and he said it was clearly coming from the transmission case.

That's two mechanics, one a Toyota certified and working at a dealership.

She's going back in next week. Whish me luck. I've really got this car running nicely. I would love to get it fixed.

Back from the other side of town with a different Toyota tech. We test drove it and he had no problem hearing the noise. Put it on the rack and he said it was clearly coming from the transmission case.

That's two mechanics, one a Toyota certified and working at a dealership.

She's going back in next week. Whish me luck. I've really got this car running nicely. I would love to get it fixed.

If it is coming from inside the transmission, then it looks like another tranny rebuild.

We have come up with four other people that are experiencing a very similar issue.

The Toyota tech mentioned the fork as a possible issue. Could be heating up, expanding and vibrating, or it could be bent.

I really hope it is not some terrible design flaw with not fix. :unsure:

Also noticed on inspecting the old flywheel that there is an area toward the outside of the pressure surface that is roughly worn. The old throwout bearing seems fine.

Edited by jupiterboy

We have come up with four other people that are experiencing a very similar issue.

The Toyota tech mentioned the fork as a possible issue. Could be heating up, expanding and vibrating, or it could be bent.

I really hope it is not some terrible design flaw with not fix. :unsure:

Also noticed on inspecting the old flywheel that there is an area toward the outside of the pressure surface that is roughly worn. The old throwout bearing seems fine.

What is the fork?

Could it be the worn flywheel??