Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
jupiterboy

Transmission Chatter Update

OK. Now it is in for a clutch. I'm looking at covering the difference and going with a stronger clutch, and possibly a lighter flywheel.

So far I'm leaning toward the TRD clutch and the MWR chromolly flywheel at 10.5 lbs. Tell me why I'm crazy.

I would go with the best available - if you plan on keeping the car for a while. Hopefully it will solve your problem.

trap

Best is relative I imagine.

I'll never go FI or even get an intake. I want a steel wheel rather than aluminum, and a street-friendly slippable clutch.

ACT HD, Exeddy Stage 1, TRD all seem about right. TRD has the bearing for sure and would keep the warranty in place.

The MWR flywheel seems good, good price. Anyone have any experience with brands?

OK. Now it is in for a clutch. I'm looking at covering the difference and going with a stronger clutch, and possibly a lighter flywheel.

So far I'm leaning toward the TRD clutch and the MWR chromolly flywheel at 10.5 lbs. Tell me why I'm crazy.

That should be an awesome combo - I also personally like steel over the aluminum flywheels. The friction surface is just too much of a pain to deal with and the extreme lightness will make it tough to drive smoothly.

Brands that I've used before are ACT and Centerforce. Might also upgrade the Matrix XRS - expecially when loaded down pretty good with passengers and luggage - steep hills really make short work of the clutch (also possible design issue as well - can't expect to take one setup and drop it into a body that is almost 200-300lbs heavier and expect it to behave the same way).

Might also contemplate a weird swap - U240E 4-speed auto from Celica swapped into the Matrix and swap the Matrix's 6-speed into the Corolla. Will have to wait and see (need to get a 3rd car to get around in - if this happens).

That should be an awesome combo - I also personally like steel over the aluminum flywheels. The friction surface is just too much of a pain to deal with and the extreme lightness will make it tough to drive smoothly.

Brands that I've used before are ACT and Centerforce. Might also upgrade the Matrix XRS - expecially when loaded down pretty good with passengers and luggage - steep hills really make short work of the clutch (also possible design issue as well - can't expect to take one setup and drop it into a body that is almost 200-300lbs heavier and expect it to behave the same way).

Might also contemplate a weird swap - U240E 4-speed auto from Celica swapped into the Matrix and swap the Matrix's 6-speed into the Corolla. Will have to wait and see (need to get a 3rd car to get around in - if this happens).

You might be taking on too many projects at a time and find yourself without an operating vehicle. Best to stick to one car with a good commuter for daily use.

Thanks guys. Flywheel and clutch ordered. I really didn't think I would get this mod done, but I've always thought it would help the XRS out.

I also picked up an intake extension from the TRD supercharger kit. It fits on the stock airbox in place of that grey cloth tube. Maybe that will give a little pep to the situation.

I really gettin goofy about this car.

Thanks guys. Flywheel and clutch ordered. I really didn't think I would get this mod done, but I've always thought it would help the XRS out.

I also picked up an intake extension from the TRD supercharger kit. It fits on the stock airbox in place of that grey cloth tube. Maybe that will give a little pep to the situation.

I really gettin goofy about this car.

If you are keeping the car it should make for interesting performance changes. Keep us informed.

I love to keep cars. I learned with my GTI, however, that it is not always up to you. More specifically, any ###### in a hurry to get to work can wipe you out with one dumb decision. That said, I'm back on the horse.

Got to see an 82 Celica Supra at the dealership today. So super clean and hot. Hope the XRS is in that position some day.

I love to keep cars. I learned with my GTI, however, that it is not always up to you. More specifically, any ###### in a hurry to get to work can wipe you out with one dumb decision. That said, I'm back on the horse.

Got to see an 82 Celica Supra at the dealership today. So super clean and hot. Hope the XRS is in that position some day.

True. You never know when that "Other guy" will come out of nowhere.

Yep, you never know when the guy behind yo will decide he has to light his cigarette before coming to a stop. When he puts his head down to light the thing up, he isn't looking foward and I don't know anyone who can see things infront of them with their perpherial vision. Then he hits you because he didn't see you. Great reason to hit someone isn't it. I hate when I see people multi-tasking and driving poorly. I mean come on, how hard is it to light a cigarette or talk on the phone. I've talked on the phone while driving, I've lit a cigarette with a Zippo while talking on the phone and walking down the street, multi-tasking doesn't make me do either task poorly. IDK maybe I'm lucky. If you can't multi-task and drive then you need to drive and put everything else away. I can't tell you how many of my things have been damaged and or destroyed by other people who weren't paying attention to the task at hand but to something else. The really frustrating thing for me is that the something else they are usually paying attention to doesn't amount to anything in the big picture that is life.

BTW, there is one instance in which I cannot multi-task. I can not carry on a conversation with a person on the phone and type an original thought simletaneously.

Edited by the99contour

While I'm waiting for my car, thought I'd toss this out.

I picked up an intake tube from the 1ZZ SC install kit thinking I could swap it out for that odd fabric/plastic tube that attaches to the airbox. Now I'm realizing that this is where the smog pump hooks up.

So:

1.) does this smog pump pull in unfiltered air from outside or just air from the engine?

2.) does the attach point in any way obstruct airflow into the stock air box.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/jupiterboy/wheel.jpg

Edited by jupiterboy

Yep, you never know when the guy behind yo will decide he has to light his cigarette before coming to a stop. When he puts his head down to light the thing up, he isn't looking foward and I don't know anyone who can see things infront of them with their perpherial vision. Then he hits you because he didn't see you. Great reason to hit someone isn't it. I hate when I see people multi-tasking and driving poorly. I mean come on, how hard is it to light a cigarette or talk on the phone. I've talked on the phone while driving, I've lit a cigarette with a Zippo while talking on the phone and walking down the street, multi-tasking doesn't make me do either task poorly. IDK maybe I'm lucky. If you can't multi-task and drive then you need to drive and put everything else away. I can't tell you how many of my things have been damaged and or destroyed by other people who weren't paying attention to the task at hand but to something else. The really frustrating thing for me is that the something else they are usually paying attention to doesn't amount to anything in the big picture that is life.

BTW, there is one instance in which I cannot multi-task. I can not carry on a conversation with a person on the phone and type an original thought simletaneously.

Sometimes I get the idea to make up a sign and flash it at people - "Hang up the phone and drive"!!

Clearly an LED Motion Banner sign would be the ticket. You could key messages to function keys and communicate with the driving public. lol

TRD clutch and MWR racing 10.5 lb flywheel installed.

The clutch pedal is softer, and the engagement and disengagement is much more precise. Gotta baby it for 500 miles or so, but the initial impression is good. Not exteme at all.

I'm going to need to modify that air intake to make it work.

Clearly an LED Motion Banner sign would be the ticket. You could key messages to function keys and communicate with the driving public. lol

TRD clutch and MWR racing 10.5 lb flywheel installed.

The clutch pedal is softer, and the engagement and disengagement is much more precise. Gotta baby it for 500 miles or so, but the initial impression is good. Not exteme at all.

I'm going to need to modify that air intake to make it work.

Can I call them "Idiots" or "Accidents waiting to happen"??

Sounds like good improvements on the tranny.

How much of an improvement is air intake changes going to make??

With 100 miles logged on the clutch/flywheel I can say that was a good move.

On the intake looks like I'm going to need to mod the intake tube. I think I can cut it and get a section fabricated that will extend the intake end beyond the smog pump under the light. If I can also make that same extension section hook up to the smog pump I think I'll be in business. I might even get the curved section that hooks the filter box up to the throttle body fabricated in aluminum etc. I would keep the stock filter box and just replace all the piping. I need to slow down now though and make some more money first. lol. I wasn't expecting to upgrade the clutch and flywheel.

With 100 miles logged on the clutch/flywheel I can say that was a good move.

On the intake looks like I'm going to need to mod the intake tube. I think I can cut it and get a section fabricated that will extend the intake end beyond the smog pump under the light. If I can also make that same extension section hook up to the smog pump I think I'll be in business. I might even get the curved section that hooks the filter box up to the throttle body fabricated in aluminum etc. I would keep the stock filter box and just replace all the piping. I need to slow down now though and make some more money first. lol. I wasn't expecting to upgrade the clutch and flywheel.

No more chatter on the transmission?