Sign in to follow this  
jupiterboy

Transmission Chatter Update

Might be of interest. The dealer is replacing all the bearings in my transmission. I'm at 15,000 miles.

I had posted up recently trying to figure out what might be the problem. No idea as to what would have caused it. The old timer that drives the van told me they had another car in with the same type problem. The customer service person says they have never seen it before.

They said all of the bearings. That's the service advisor talking though, who would need a map and a mirror to find his own ###### I suspect.

Talking with the tech, and looking at the trans. in parts, there are two central shafts coming out of the transmission. I believe it was the lower one that showed some black residue and was flagged by the tech.

I wish I knew more, and knew what might cause this. I think these are called input and output shaft bearings.

Edited by jupiterboy

Sounds more like they are changing the drive shaft bearings, rather than the transmission bearings.

To change the transmission bearings they would need to remove it from the car.

To change the driveshaft bearings is a simple matter of removing the rubber boots and pulling the shaft out of the housing to get at the bearings.

They can be replaced, re-lubed and then re-installed fairly easily - without removing the transmission.

The mechanic didn't look like David Blaine, so I assume the transmission sitting on the table was mine. There appeared to be a major vacancy in my car.

I'm not sure who David Blaine is, but if their is a transmission on the table and your car has a big space in it, more than likely he is changing internal parts to it. Good luck!!

Well, the tech missed it. They replaced a list of transmission gears and bearings. The noise is unchanged.

I was wondering about speedo cable noise? But then I don't think there is a speedo cable.

Detonation? What else gets confused for transmission/clutch noise?

Edited by jupiterboy

Well, the tech missed it. They replaced a list of transmission gears and bearings. The noise is unchanged.

This is unbelievable. They toyota dealer 'fixed' it, but the noise is still there?!

BTW, David Blaine is that self proclaimed 'street magician' who had some celebrity a few years back with his TV specials.

http://www.davidblaine.com/launch.html

I was wondering about speedo cable noise? But then I don't think there is a speedo cable.

Your car donsn't have a speedo cable. It uses the VSS and a computer program to figure out how many miles you're putting on your car. As for noises that sound like transaxle or clutch noises, there aren't any. IMHO the Toyota dealer did something stupid by taking apart your transaxle and replacing internal components on it. There was little to no chance that they would be able to fix the problem by doing this. Ford never did that kind of stuff, you take the car in complaining about a transaxle noise or shifting problem, they verified it and they gave you a new transmission or one that was remanufactured by the manufacturer. Dealers aren't transmission experts and shouldn't be pretending to be. My advice: Take the car back and keep complaining, complain to Toyota Corporate. If the transaxle is truly making noises then you deserve a new one.

Your car donsn't have a speedo cable. It uses the VSS and a computer program to figure out how many miles you're putting on your car. As for noises that sound like transaxle or clutch noises, there aren't any. IMHO the Toyota dealer did something stupid by taking apart your transaxle and replacing internal components on it. There was little to no chance that they would be able to fix the problem by doing this. Ford never did that kind of stuff, you take the car in complaining about a transaxle noise or shifting problem, they verified it and they gave you a new transmission or one that was remanufactured by the manufacturer. Dealers aren't transmission experts and shouldn't be pretending to be. My advice: Take the car back and keep complaining, complain to Toyota Corporate. If the transaxle is truly making noises then you deserve a new one.

Don't they check it out after they are done to insure the customers problem is fixed?

Don't they check it out after they are done to insure the customers problem is fixed?

Maybe the dealer was 'hoping' that the customer wouldn't notice it wasn't fixed. :angry:

This dealer sounds like a nutjob. Take it to a good independent mechanic and have them write up an estimate for you to get reimbursed by Toyota corporate.

Actually this dealer doesn't sound too bad - they are actually trying to do work, instead of the usual "normal operating noise B.S." rant.

I would interested to see what the dealer does next - if they will replace the transaxle or not. I'm not 100% sure if there much differentes between the 6-speeds from teh Celica GT-S, Matrix XRS, or Corolla XRS - but it is not a very smooth box to row, compared to the 6-speed boxes in Hondas, Acuras, Nissans, etc. Just curious to see if they popped in beefier bearings or better syncros like they did for the old C50/C52 transaxles.

With this particular situation, the car has to be really hot. I had to take it out to an industrial area and rip around in lift for a while to get it to present. My wife can drive the car to work—back and forth—without a problem. On a long trip though it really gets on my nerves. I'll take it in next week and get the same guy to ride with me.

I suspect the bearings and such were whatever Toyota sent them. They may not even know if the parts have been re-engineered or not.

I'm just brainstorming about what it could be. At the moment I'm wondering about the front axle inboard joint sub assembly, and whether banging on the rusted on rotor for the brake job might have messed something up.

Also wondering if the shop forgot to bleed the clutch and did the brakes. Could that cause the clutch to drag and make noise?

If there was anything amiss with the clutch or flywheel - the dealership should have picked that up right away. I know that on the axles on the XRS - there is a vibration damper on at least one of the sides. I'd double check that the damper is not missing or riding up and down the shaft. A shot in the dark - but anything is possible.

OK. Now it is in for a clutch. I'm looking at covering the difference and going with a stronger clutch, and possibly a lighter flywheel.

So far I'm leaning toward the TRD clutch and the MWR chromolly flywheel at 10.5 lbs. Tell me why I'm crazy.