Sign in to follow this  
twinky64

Royal Purple Among Other Oils

For a 2ZZ-GE swap - I think they mentioned about it going for around what a custom turbo setup will cost + donor car. Something around $3500 to $6000 + donor for 2ZZGE swap into a 8th gen Corolla, auto to 6-speed conversion, rear disk brake conversion, and 5-lug hub conversion all the way around.

Pretty spendy - probably would have broke even by trading it in for a 2005 Corolla XRS. But it was a good project - basically a Corolla XRS in the previous model body.

As for oil - depends on what your engine is doing. If the car is starting to burn some oil - switching from a 5w-30 to 10w-30 would still be OK. Running anything thicker - and you have a problem that has to be fixed first. Thicker motor oil helps with some engine noise and when the engine gets more miles on it - but you have to very careful not to go too far off spec - especially with the 1ZZ-FE. I know some guys that run 20w-50 racing oil in their cars (Texas, Florida) - both fragged their oil pumps after about 10K miles and blamed poor design being the cause. The cause was running an oil too thick.

Synthetic oil works if need an oil that fits synthetic's characteristics (high temp stability and oxidation resistance, good low temp mobility, superior solvency, ability to extend oil change intervals).

Doesn't mean that convention oil is of poor quality. Indeed - todays specs for conventional oil probably equals that of previous specs for some early generation of synthetic motor oil. If you stick to a shorter oil change interval and live in a climate that doesn't experience too severe temperature ranges - would be more cost effective to stick with a good qualityu conventional oil. If money doesn't really matter or you like piece of mind - then by all means, go with the synthetic.

I personally run Mobil 1 synthetic, OEM "long" filter, and run 7500-10000 mile oil change intervals. 130K miles and some change and no oil burning or performance problems.

trap
If you really want to go Frankenstien, put a 2ZZ in a Spider. Then you will have done something.

That is what I feel they should have done from the beginning. But maybe the 2ZZ-GE ON/OFF behavior with lift would have been too much for the car, balance-wise.

If you really want to go Frankenstien, put a 2ZZ in a Spider. Then you will have done something.

That is what I feel they should have done from the beginning. But maybe the 2ZZ-GE ON/OFF behavior with lift would have been too much for the car, balance-wise.

Well, the Australian 2ZZ his a much lower lift engagement point, and a stock blower. Put that all in a mid-engine package. I would have liked to give it a try. :D