Sign in to follow this  
twinky64

Royal Purple Among Other Oils

I heard from a friend that royal purple would actually help increase hp in your car for reasons unknown. Does anybody have any experience with that? Are there any oils that help with hp increase on a car? I wouldn't think so but I've always been suprised at how things work for automobiles.

Edited by twinky64

No oil of any kind will make or increase HP of the engine - if the oil makes that claim = B.S. It is a marketing gimmick, a play on words.

But you can get a very high quality motor oil that has the properties to protect your engine and help reduce internal friction - doesn't "make" more power from thin air. Think of it this way, you could have a less power robbing, motor oil.

Royal Purple is pretty good stuff - high quality synthetic motor oil that is really well known in the motorcycle camps. Funky blue/purple colored oil as well.

You would get similar results running a quality synthetic like Mobil 1, Amsoil, and others out there. Nothing really "special" about Royal Purple other than its history.

I concur with fishexpo101. A better oil only provides better lubrication. It cannot increase horsepower of the car. It would make it run smoother, quieter and less noisy, that's a good thing.

Edited by Bikeman982

x3

Oil is for protection of the engine, and I'm sure you can go overboard. It is a gamble—more investment in better oil vs. the possibility that someone will smash the crap out of your car before you get the benefits.

x3

Oil is for protection of the engine, and I'm sure you can go overboard. It is a gamble—more investment in better oil vs. the possibility that someone will smash the crap out of your car before you get the benefits.

That's why we have auto insurance!

x3

ah yes, my current fear right there. taken good care of my car. 165k miles. 96 prizm.

Well said. When I bought my first brand new car a few years ago, I babied it, agonized over oil choices, and spent $$$ for oil analysis and specialty oils. Yet it was totalled before the age of 60,000 miles (fortunately, not my fault). In retrospect, waste of time and money on the expensive synthetic oils and oil analyses. At least I learned something in the process (? matured).

I don't know. I think I just like to take care of things and I'm anti disposable culture at my core. I lost a GTI VR6 to an idiot driver, and I kept it like a baby. I'm doing the same thing with the XRS. I don't intend to let other peoples stupidity sway my aesthetic. It is about how I choose to deal and that it feels good to maintain something.

I don't know. I think I just like to take care of things and I'm anti disposable culture at my core. I lost a GTI VR6 to an idiot driver, and I kept it like a baby. I'm doing the same thing with the XRS. I don't intend to let other peoples stupidity sway my aesthetic. It is about how I choose to deal and that it feels good to maintain something.

jupiterboy,

Is the XRS significantly better than any other trim of the corolla? Is it laggy or responsive compared to the other trims?

jupiterboy,

Is the XRS significantly better than any other trim of the corolla? Is it laggy or responsive compared to the other trims?

It is comprable in terms of feature content to a decently equipped Corolla 'S'. Except that it has 4 wheel disc ABS standard, a stiffer suspension, 16 inch alloy wheels, and special red optitron gauges, ohh yeah, it also doesn't have a split folding rear seat. It has a higher revving engine and a six speed transmission that you need to make the car liveable. The car is definately more responsive than my LE, but you must drive it in such a way as to keep it in it's power-band to really see the performance difference. In order to do this, you must shift through the 6 gears rather often. The car is kind of buzzy in my opinion. If you can live with the shifting and the limited power-band and the buzzing, then it is a great little pocket rocket. If you can't then you need to just buy the LE or S.

XRS is an odd duck.

Like many high RPM cars is lacks torque, which does show up on the low end. I would say research the 2ZZ engine. It is a really great little engine IMO. My car has been modified a bit, so it is hard to remember what it was like out of the box.

It really shines on the highway, where you can downshift from 6th to 3rd to get the RPMs over 6800 almost instantly. The XRS will take off where other cars are running out of steam.

You get a racy engine in a grocery getter package, which means that with some improvements along the way you can make it into a great car.

If you are humble and not status oriented and love to drive, I would consider it over a small BMW or VW.

But take one for a test drive and put it through its paces.

Have a listen. This is a run up to 100 mph.

http://media.putfile.com/TRD74

+1 with jupiterboy

Once you get used to the powerband "quirks" of the 2ZZ-GE engine, careful about rowing through the gears, and pick the right gear at the right time - the 2ZZ-GE is a blast. My Matrix XRS gives up several hundred pounds to my 1ZZFE Corolla - but the Matrix will always spank it on a roll. From a dig (dead stop) - the Corolla will pull away first in the first couple of seconds, but that is about it.

From speed - drop a few gears and you are gone. Ultimate sleeper - as it is almost indistinguishable from your garden variety Corolla, especially if it on the road.

Drawbacks of the 2ZZ-GE: engine can get really thristy if you keep hitting lift all the time (really hard not too - pretty addictive). Pretty buzzy exhaust and turning higher RPMs in most situations to make useful power. Premium fuel required (91 octane). You can get away with plus grade (89 octane) every once and a while (wife does that all the time) - but only at your own expense.

Does the XRS have better accelleration than the corollas with 1zzfe? Does it corner better? And what about braking? Could you put that engine in an 8th gen corolla?

Better acceleration - most of the time, depends on what gear you are in at the time (if you are humming along at 4000-5000RPM in the 2ZZGE, then the 1ZZFE is no match).

2ZZGE Corolla has an OEM strut bar that is design by Yamaha - pretty hefty piece compared to its size. (makes for sharper steering). Different spring rates than other Corollas, different seat shape to hold you a bit better - not 100% sure, but I also assume heavier anti-roll bars. Cornering is better than your plain Corolla - but only by a bit (it is based on the Corolla platform, twist beam rear setup).

Braking - absolutely better (discs all around, good modulation).

Could you swap it in - sure. How much work?? - more than you think, but completely possible. So far I have seen two 2ZZ-GE swapped 8th gen Corollas - one of which had someone documenting its swap the whole way. He used a Matrix XRS as the doner vehicle - which was part of the problems that he encountered along the way - but should not be much different that any other swap.

Better acceleration - most of the time, depends on what gear you are in at the time (if you are humming along at 4000-5000RPM in the 2ZZGE, then the 1ZZFE is no match).

2ZZGE Corolla has an OEM strut bar that is design by Yamaha - pretty hefty piece compared to its size. (makes for sharper steering). Different spring rates than other Corollas, different seat shape to hold you a bit better - not 100% sure, but I also assume heavier anti-roll bars. Cornering is better than your plain Corolla - but only by a bit (it is based on the Corolla platform, twist beam rear setup).

Braking - absolutely better (discs all around, good modulation).

Could you swap it in - sure. How much work?? - more than you think, but completely possible. So far I have seen two 2ZZ-GE swapped 8th gen Corollas - one of which had someone documenting its swap the whole way. He used a Matrix XRS as the doner vehicle - which was part of the problems that he encountered along the way - but should not be much different that any other swap.

How much did that "someone" pay for that conversion. Did the conversion have a 6 spd manual or 5? At 192,000mi on an engine, is it recommended that I use thicker oils or should I use synthetic oil?