Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
twinky64

Check Engine Light

If you've been following my so called upgrades, if you want to even call them that, I've purchased an electric supercharger off ebay for shi_ts and giggles. The package comes with a resistor that you put on the car's IAT sensor on top of the throttle body. Finally, I've decided to put the resistor on the IAT sensor to see any difference at all.

When I installed the resistor on the outisde contacts that looks like so:

()---()---()

[__<>__]

()=contacts on IAT [__]=wires coming from resistor to IAT <>=resistor from ebay.

After I had put it on, the engine started jerking after about 3000rpms. I know that is not very good so I took it out, started the engine again, and reved the engine. The engine did not jerk at all and performed the way it should.

My problem: Ever since I put the resistor on the IAT, the check engine light is on, when before it was never on.

Question: What should I do about it? Will it go away on its own? Should I not worry about it since I personally

know what happened and the engine seems to be working fine?

Thank you

Edited by twinky64

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

If you've been following my so called upgrades, if you want to even call them that, I've purchased an electric supercharger off ebay for shi_ts and giggles. The package comes with a resistor that you put on the car's IAT sensor on top of the throttle body. Finally, I've decided to put the resistor on the IAT sensor to see any difference at all.

When I installed the resistor on the outisde contacts that looks like so:

() () () ()=contacts on IAT [__]=wires coming from resistor to IAT <>=resistor from ebay.

[__<>__]

After I had put it on, the engine started jerking after about 3000rpms. I know that is not very good so I took it out, started the engine again, and reved the engine. The engine did not jerk at all and performed the way it should.

My problem: Ever since I put the resistor on the IAT, the check engine light is on, when before it was never on.

Question: What should I do about it? Will it go away on its own? Should I not worry about it since I personally

know what happened and the engine seems to be working fine?

Thank you

Your CEL will have to be reset. You could disconnect the battery and wait one minute until the ECM resets.

Cool, thanks bike. What does ECU and ECM mean? The only thing I can think ECM means is for mililtary equipment called electronic countermeasures.

Cool, thanks bike. What does ECU and ECM mean? The only thing I can think ECM means is for mililtary equipment called electronic countermeasures.

ECU stands for Electronic Control Unit. ECM stands for Electronic Control Manager or Electronic Computer Management. There is yet another common acronym for this part: PCM or Powertrain Control Module.

All these parts are the same thing, they are a computer and programming that control the engine's functions.

ECM stands for Electronic Control Manager or Electronic Computer Management.

All these parts are the same thing, they are a computer and programming that control the engine's functions.

Or Engine Control Module.

It'd be very nice if we have electronic countermeasures on our cars. ;) :D

ECM stands for Electronic Control Manager or Electronic Computer Management.

Or Engine Control Module.

It'd be very nice if we have electronic countermeasures on our cars. ;) :D

lol