Sign in to follow this  
tsantsa

'98 Corolla Maintenence

Hi, I just happened on this here site while looking for a guide on how to dismantle the door panel to fix a slight window problem. I didn't find that particular guide here, but I definitely bookmarked corolland.com!

Anyhow, I do have a couple of problems I'd like to fly by you guys to see what you think. I have read through much of the main page to see what I might need.

Ok, so my Check Engine light is on. I have had the gas cap checked and it doesn't seem to be the problem. The car has just over 100k miles on it, by the way and it has not had a tune up just yet. I was wondering if I should do that myself (I'm not very savvy at automobile maintenece, but I want to keep this car as a work car and I don't want to take it to a shop for things that I can do myself with a little study!)

Also, the Seat Belt light doesn't work correctly. Sometimes it stays on all the time, sometimes it comes on when I put my seatbelt on! The main problem I am concerned with is some hesitiation.

So, according to part of the main page, some things I should look at are: The PCV valve, EGR sensor (I don't know where that is), plugs and wires (part of tune up), air filter (checked and replaced) and maybe dirty fuel injectors. What about the Oxygen sensors?

I don't know if I have given enough info but that's all I can think of at the moment. Any help would truly be appreciated.

Thanks.

trap

Yes, the specific PBD-II code would help pinpoint the problem, otherwise we would be throwing darts at it.

As for tuneup recommentations - if you know the car has not had a tune up in 100K miles - most definitely the plugs should be high up on your list. On the early 8th gen Corollas (1998-1999) they used either double electrode conventional plugs (go to ~30K miles max) or some dealers installed platinum plugs (go to ~60K miles max). The long life Iridium plugs (go to ~120K miles max) didn't come OEM until the later models. Probably would not hurt to replace the plug wires as well.

Things I would look to do at 100K miles on my car - if unsure of previous maintenance or known to be not done before:

- Replace engine oil and oil filter

- Replace engine air filter

- Drain and replace engine coolant

- Drain and replace transmission fluid or oil (auto or manual)

(NOTE: If not performed before - I would also drop the pan and clean it out by hand).

- Replace spark plugs

- Replace spark plug wires

- Replace drive belt (serpentine belt)

- Replace wiper blades

- Rotate tires

Also inspect these (visually, unless noted):

- Ball joints and dust covers

- Brake rotors/drums and brake pads/shoes

- Brake fluid condition

- Powersteering fluid condition

- Charcoal canister/EVAP system like the fuel lines and connections, fuel tank, fuel tank vapor vent system hoses, fuel tank cap gasket

- Drive shaft boots

- Exhaust pipes and mountings

- Rack and pinion

- Steering linkages

- Valves (audible inspection)

- Waterpump

- Suspension rubber mounts

- Engine/transmission mounts

- Struts and springs

Hi, I just happened on this here site while looking for a guide on how to dismantle the door panel to fix a slight window problem. I didn't find that particular guide here, but I definitely bookmarked corolland.com!

Anyhow, I do have a couple of problems I'd like to fly by you guys to see what you think. I have read through much of the main page to see what I might need.

Ok, so my Check Engine light is on. I have had the gas cap checked and it doesn't seem to be the problem. The car has just over 100k miles on it, by the way and it has not had a tune up just yet. I was wondering if I should do that myself (I'm not very savvy at automobile maintenece, but I want to keep this car as a work car and I don't want to take it to a shop for things that I can do myself with a little study!)

Also, the Seat Belt light doesn't work correctly. Sometimes it stays on all the time, sometimes it comes on when I put my seatbelt on! The main problem I am concerned with is some hesitiation.

So, according to part of the main page, some things I should look at are: The PCV valve, EGR sensor (I don't know where that is), plugs and wires (part of tune up), air filter (checked and replaced) and maybe dirty fuel injectors. What about the Oxygen sensors?

I don't know if I have given enough info but that's all I can think of at the moment. Any help would truly be appreciated.

Thanks.

There is detailed information on this forum (a different thread) about how to change a door handle which involves removing the door panel.

If you have difficulty with that, just ask me as I have done it many times.

I have also done a lot of the tune-up maintenance myself.

I only have the 7th generation cars, so they are not identical to your 1998.

Edited by Bikeman982

Oh, I ended up finding what I was looking for with the door panel. The issue was the driver side window became hard to roll down (manual) below the half way point. The problem ended up being a bent window guide (for lack of better term). The door hinge had come loose somehow and I think that slammed into the guide.

Thanks anyhow!

Oh, I ended up finding what I was looking for with the door panel. The issue was the driver side window became hard to roll down (manual) below the half way point. The problem ended up being a bent window guide (for lack of better term). The door hinge had come loose somehow and I think that slammed into the guide.

Thanks anyhow!

Glad to hear that the window is fixed.

Let me know how the tune-up is going, in case I can help.

I am changing an engine/tranny in my son's car in my garage and running into some problems. I have a separate thread for those posts.