Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
BabyBird200

Motor Oil Choice

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Mobil 1 7500 is good stuff. Marketed as and the specs make it look like a synthetic blend - I'll have to see a VOA to make sure it is really is - but from what I've seen from personal use (use it in a 70's muscle car/project car), pretty good stuff - engine looks clean, no varnish on it like before.

cool thanks, i like it...but boy does it smell nasty! the bottle says its a synthetic blend, 7500 miles would be most of the year for me, i changed it around 3K miles this last change. i ran some ATF through prior to the change so of course it came out nasty black. i think this time around at 2000 miles im going to send in a sampe for a UOA to see how the oil and my engine are doing.

Guest web_guru2003

I have Corolla 96 with 112k miles on it (bought in 99 at 45k miles) and I never had to spend a dime on any engine problem. Its was running smooth from last 7 years but from last 2-3 months I am noticing a bit more noise from engine. Is that normal as its getting older or I need to do something? One of my friend advised me to switch to Synthetic Oil from regular. Will that help? If yes, should i ask to clean the engine first or not? As per my same friend, you dont need to clean the engine and in 2-3 oil changes, it will be all synthetic inside.

Any experiences? suggestions?

Edited by web_guru2003

As engines start to age - not unusual to have some noises crop up. Might just be the valvetrain (if the noise it really bad, might need to check valve clearances) or normal carbon deposits. A timing belt that hasn;t been changed in a while could also cause some noise (belt could have stretch throwing the timing off a hair). Might just need a good tune up.

I would could try a synthetic blend a try, couldn't hurt. Most "high mileage" oils are synthetic blends - many have seen them help with oil consumption from stuck piston rings or worn seals. Don't need a flushing oil or flushing fill - as your friend mentioned - changed over a series of drains will accomplish it for you. But I would advise against from switching back and forth between synthetic to conventional - as you will not get the full benefits of synthetic oils that way. Just pick one and stick with it.

I have 215,000 mi on my 99 Corolla and 265,000 on my 97 Prizm. I change every 3,000 - 4,000 using Chevron Supreme 5w-30 available at Kragen (Schucks / Checker) for $0.49 / quart after rebate. Toyota filters at http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/disclaimer.html for $3.90 each. I also drain & refill 3.5 quarts ATF at every oil change. Cheap & works for me. Neither engine uses any oil and they both run like new.

Wow - draining and refilling the ATF every oil change! That's a bit extreme for me - but if it works, great. Lot cheaper than buying a new transmission, for sure.

I have 215,000 mi on my 99 Corolla and 265,000 on my 97 Prizm. I change every 3,000 - 4,000 using Chevron Supreme 5w-30 available at Kragen (Schucks / Checker) for $0.49 / quart after rebate. Toyota filters at http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/disclaimer.html for $3.90 each. I also drain & refill 3.5 quarts ATF at every oil change. Cheap & works for me. Neither engine uses any oil and they both run like new.

Sounds like you do a lot of driving, with that many miles.