Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
rmanz

Injector Cleaning

Just had my injection and throttle system cleaned for $125.00 at a reputable engine repair business. The process took about an hour. I have a 2002 Corolla with 133K miles. I believe it has made a difference performance wise but time will tell with improving gas mileage. I had the plugs changed at 100K but I was reading that it would be wise to replace plugs after a fuel injection cleaning. My objective was to gain better gas mileage and some pep.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

cleaning the throttle body of the gunk does restore throttle response and power.

The shops hook up the car to a machine and uses additives to clean everything.

At home.... carb cleaner or intake system spray cleaner will dissolve a lot of gunk-- keep in mind, this will flood the engine, making it hard to start.

The intial cleaning will take an entire can-- after that... every oil change-- a couple quick sprays to keep the throttle body nice and clean

Edited by now_driving_VW

i just took my TB off (left the lines on, just pulled it back from the mani) and cleaned it like that and then sprayed some into the intake mani and wiped as deep as i could with a rag.

it made a slight difference at idle.

Also, what type of plugs? Denso Iridium? Platinum 4?

I'd stick with the OEM Iridiums. Since they've given you this much life (100K) - I wouldn't look any further. Bosch +4 and +2 are excellent plugs - but I've read too many issues with them and our particular engines. I would rather pick up a plain copper plug or plain platinum plug over thoses multi-electrode variants. Should be able to pick up OEM plugs for as low as $6 a piece or around $13 at the dealership.

Let us know if your mileage has improved - would be very interesting to see what happens.

I would be interested to know how much of an improvement it made. Are you keeping mileage records?

2002 Corolla with 135K-

After having the injectors cleaned at the cost of $125.00, I do notice a difference in smother accelerating. As for MPG, it may have helped to some degree, hard to tell with the March winds at this point. I still haven't taken the time to install Irium Denso plugs I just bought. Havent worked under the hood in 10 years so I'm a little green with coil packs. Plugs are set at 0.44, just havent had the time to replace yet. I drive 100 miles a day so the cost of these items should pay for thenselves in time in gas savings.

I'm at the point (135K) where it's costing $$$ every month but beats a car payment. I hope to get 200K or more out of it. No rust

Rick

Did they replace your fuel filter at the same time? The fuel filter is probably the number one item over looked on cars. I used to not even change them. Even my mechanic (from way back in the day, I do my own work now) never really said anything about it.

Anyway, a new fuel filter can do great things for a older engine. One of the over the counter injector cleaners I like is red line. You can use a whole bottle at once, but the recomended usage is 1 cap full for a full tank. I've had strong cleaners make my car run like crap before. I prefer the long term mild cleaning over a one bottle fix for injector cleaning.

Just had my injection and throttle system cleaned for $125.00 at a reputable engine repair business. The process took about an hour. I have a 2002 Corolla with 133K miles. I believe it has made a difference performance wise but time will tell with improving gas mileage. I had the plugs changed at 100K but I was reading that it would be wise to replace plugs after a fuel injection cleaning. My objective was to gain better gas mileage and some pep.

Changing your plugs might make a difference, only if the ones you have now are not performing at peak capacity. There is no sense changing them other than at regular maintenance interval if they are working fine. You can take them out and examine them and also check the gap. That may also give you an indication on how the engine is running. Hope this helps.

Did they replace your fuel filter at the same time? The fuel filter is probably the number one item over looked on cars. I used to not even change them. Even my mechanic (from way back in the day, I do my own work now) never really said anything about it.

Anyway, a new fuel filter can do great things for a older engine. One of the over the counter injector cleaners I like is red line. You can use a whole bottle at once, but the recomended usage is 1 cap full for a full tank. I've had strong cleaners make my car run like crap before. I prefer the long term mild cleaning over a one bottle fix for injector cleaning.

No, the fuel filter wasn't changed. I believe the fuel filter on my '02 is inside the fuel tank. Is this something I can do myself as an amatuer?

Thanks

Your fuel filter has something called a sock filter on it. You should have another fuel filter before your fuel rail. Japanise cars usually have it it in the engine bay. I acually havn't changed it on a Toyota yet since ours is a 05.

You need probably need special flair wrenches to change the filter. It can be tricky sometimes. A good mechanic shouldn't charge too much to change it.

[No, the fuel filter wasn't changed. I believe the fuel filter on my '02 is inside the fuel tank. Is this something I can do myself as an amatuer?

Thanks

Not very easily - the filter is a two part deal - both parts are inside th tank. The larger debris filter is on the pickup itself and there is a fine filter attached to the pressure regulator. Generally they do not need to be changed, both are self cleaning in design to a certain extent. I was considering a change soon, given the mileage on my car, but will wait for better weather. Might wait until I upgrade the rear sways - since I will have to drop the tank anyways - give me a chance to see what is inside.

[No, the fuel filter wasn't changed. I believe the fuel filter on my '02 is inside the fuel tank. Is this something I can do myself as an amatuer?

Thanks

Not very easily - the filter is a two part deal - both parts are inside th tank. The larger debris filter is on the pickup itself and there is a fine filter attached to the pressure regulator. Generally they do not need to be changed, both are self cleaning in design to a certain extent. I was considering a change soon, given the mileage on my car, but will wait for better weather. Might wait until I upgrade the rear sways - since I will have to drop the tank anyways - give me a chance to see what is inside.

Did I read this right? Your fuel pressure regulator and main fuel filter are in the fuel tank?

Thanks

That is one extra reason why I like the 7th generation models. The fuel filter and pump is inside the tank, but is accessible from under the rear seat. Easy for remove/replace.

Dropping the tank isn't too difficult for you is it - just undo the two holding straps and lower it down, is that it??