Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
bluechalice

Having To Replace Engine Oil Often

Hi guys...I finally moved to columbia missouri after moving all the way from LA...anyway...been checking the engine oil often and its ok...this winter I checked and added about like 1 or 2 qts...that was like last month...and just now I checked and to my disbelief it was empty! I though I was hearing some weird noises in the car last night and I guess now I know why...anyway I don think there was a leak cause I didnt see any oil on the floor where we park etc...what could be the problem? right now luckily I have a spare bottle...I am using MOBIL 1 5W-30...so I just added that and am going right now to sam's club to get a 6pk of Mobil 1...how many more Qts should I add? tomorrow I am going on a trip about 3hrs each way...

Hi guys...I finally moved to columbia missouri after moving all the way from LA...anyway...been checking the engine oil often and its ok...this winter I checked and added about like 1 or 2 qts...that was like last month...and just now I checked and to my disbelief it was empty! I though I was hearing some weird noises in the car last night and I guess now I know why...anyway I don think there was a leak cause I didnt see any oil on the floor where we park etc...what could be the problem? right now luckily I have a spare bottle...I am using MOBIL 1 5W-30...so I just added that and am going right now to sam's club to get a 6pk of Mobil 1...how many more Qts should I add? tomorrow I am going on a trip about 3hrs each way...

Bring some oil with you!

If there is no leak, guess what - you are burning it or it is going past your rings and out your exhaust. Check some of the other threads here about oil consumption. I have seen it before and it usually means some engine trouble, could be very minor or even serious.

Could it be a gremlin stealing it??

Just kidding.

Be very certain you are doing the level check correctly, or you may end up with too much oil in your engine. That would not be good either.

Edited by Bikeman982

I have exact same Corolla as you do and mine is consuming 2 quarts of oil every 100 miles. I have engine problem and am on my way to diagnose what needs to be done, repair or replacement. Like suggested so many times, do a compression test asap. And most importantly, dont let the dealership take advantage of you. Even before you have a mechanic/dealer take a look at it, check pcv valve, any obvious leaks, and do a compression test and then get feedback on this forum. A lot of knowledgeable and helping people around here. Goodluck.

Edited by crypticlineage

How do you know what year the Corolla is?

A compression test would certainly give some indications if there was anything internally wrong with the engine. Also an examination of the spark plugs might be good. Do some basic diagnostic checks before seeking major mechanic time.

Hi guys thanks for the advice...just went to sams to pick up a case of mobil 1 syn 5w30 for $29.99(6bottles)...and guess the walmart next door has each bottle at only $4.74! and they even had a big jug of 5 Qts at only $20!!! I am not getting them at sams anymore...cant believe its more expensive there...

Anyway...I did remember smelling some noxious gas coming out of the exhaust these past weeks....

Can one do a compression test themselves? or is it something a mechanic should do? I just moved here...and dont know anyone...so dont know if I should go to just a general mechanic or a toyota dealer?

Hi guys thanks for the advice...just went to sams to pick up a case of mobil 1 syn 5w30 for $29.99(6bottles)...and guess the walmart next door has each bottle at only $4.74! and they even had a big jug of 5 Qts at only $20!!! I am not getting them at sams anymore...cant believe its more expensive there...

Anyway...I did remember smelling some noxious gas coming out of the exhaust these past weeks....

Can one do a compression test themselves? or is it something a mechanic should do? I just moved here...and dont know anyone...so dont know if I should go to just a general mechanic or a toyota dealer?

I did a compression test myself by putting the gauge where I could see it as I cranked the engine - I had it between the hood and the car.

What happens to cars that get the oil "sludging" problem? Does the dipstick show low oil when this begins? Or is there some more immediate symptom?

Have you read the TSB section on the "sludge" problem? Have you ever replaced your oil and found that it came out in globs, rather than flowing?

I'm afraid the oil gets consumed before it has time to sludge in this engine.

Looks like another case of stuck rings in the early 1ZZFE's.

That would mean the oil is getting past the rings and getting burned off before making it to other parts of the engine and becoming sludge??

That would mean the oil is getting past the rings and getting burned off before making it to other parts of the engine and becoming sludge??

Indeed. If you do a search, many cases similar to this have been reported in the first years of the 1ZZFE.

Indeed. If you do a search, many cases similar to this have been reported in the first years of the 1ZZFE.

What has been the solution(s) to this problem??

I'm still curious whether an early symptom of sluding is that the oil level goes low.

( I read the sludging articles on the forum, but not recently. I haven't read the TSB. I haven't had the oil sludge problem in my 89-90 Corollas - they are too old! )

Edited by tashirosgt

What has been the solution(s) to this problem??

My guess is that the rings are bad, which requires replacement of the rings at the least. This requires tearing apart the engine and can be expensive. If you're unsure of where to go, I have seen websites where people rate their experience with local repair shops, but I don't remember the web address off the top of my head. For major engine work, I like going to a dealer- if I trust them. I have a 98 corolla and have noticed some oil loss, but nothing excessive. Please let us know what you find out.

As for sludging, the corolla engines aren't known to be particuarly prone to sludge, although it's possible for any engine. If you change your oil and PCV valve regularly you will greatly reduce the chances of sludge formation. The 97-01 camry 4 and 6 cylinder engines had more of a problem with sludging, but even then the number affected was pretty small.

Edited by patrick5