Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
mdepo12

New Performance Tires

Hey i just bought a new 2006 corolla about 5 months ago .... I live in New Jersey as you all probably know, it gets snowy and the roads get rough around here... i really want to buy new tires for my car but i'm not sure which ones to get....does anyone know of any all season tires that wouldn't be too much of an expensive but would upgrade my car's performance?

I bought Big O Legacy for my car and they seem to be pretty good. You can also get Michelin or Goodyear. I have used them as well and they worked fine. There are many brands of tires and you have to look at what you want as far as traction and durability. Hope this helps.

Edited by Bikeman982

idk i think i want somethign a little better than that, but not too pricy...thanks for the help though....also if anyone knows what size i shoudl get , please help with that also.... thanks all

idk i think i want somethign a little better than that, but not too pricy...thanks for the help though....also if anyone knows what size i shoudl get , please help with that also.... thanks all

The Legacy were the best they sold and cost $100 each.

The main thing I recommend is snow tires for the winter on stock 15" wheels. It was frustating when driving to Mountain Creek last Thursday when the car in front of you is struggling to do 20 under the speed limit because they were using all-season tires. For cheap snow tires: I would say the (Firestone) Winterforce. I'm really a fan of Green Diamond tires, but these were significantly cheaper. The knobby tread is a little noisy-- but crank the radio a little louder.

For the warmer months.... I recommend getting another set of alloy wheels, giong 16" with 205/55 r16 tires. It would enhance the look and with a shorter sidewall, you'll some slightly better steering response. Cheap tires? Try Kumho ECSTA ASX. They are an excellent tire for the price. You can buy better all-season performance tires....for more money.

I may be wrong here, but you bought a Corolla which is one of the more expensive and reliable cars out there. Why skimp on tires, but just go and buy 4 new rims and put dedicated snows on if you live in a climate where snow is a factor. Put some nice "all season" tires on for the summer, which is about all they are good for anyway. I'm still shopping, but considering the Goodyear Comfort Treads (205-60-15), which I'm buying in the next few weeks. I bought Blizzak Revos this past fall and am a bit dissapointed that the best part of the tire is only the first 55%.

When I lived in Massachusetts I had a second set of rims with snow tires mounted on them and did a complete swap-out when the snow came. It was a lot cheaper than buying winter tires that got worn out by driving with them year round, and safer than using summer tires in the snow.

will 195/60/15 , 205/65/15, and 205/60/15 fit on the stock wheels on a 2006 corolla....

for whichever ones fit, what are the advantages of each?

All those will fit. My question to you earlier was which model do you have? The CE comes stock with 185/65/15s, meaning you can plus zero at 195/60. The LE and S come with 195/65/15s. You can plus zero those with 205/60s. Advantage to plus zero is that your speedo and odo will read pretty much the same as they do know, as the tire will be just about the same overall diameter. Of course, you can also plus one if you want, but I wouldn't go wider than the 205s. The tires you are talking about are so close in size I can't see any real difference in any of them, except wider tires with a lower profile look better on most cars, and may improve handling, as well.

I would, but it's up to you. You may want to stick with 195/65, or even try a 215/55, but it's not highly recommended. I wouldn't go wider than 205. If you haven't yet checked out tirerack.com, it's a great place to find out what sizes will fit your car, and read reviews on tires.

Why did Toyota go to the larger size - 15" tires? My generation cars all are 14". Does it improve handling or is it for cosmetic reasons or economical??