Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
pgwerner

Just Bought '05 Corolla - Mileage Is Awful!

I am still looking for a method to simulate high altitude for my car. That way I can get better mileage. I drive it mostly at or around sea level and with mostly highway miles and a light foot I can get 30 MPG.

I am still looking for a method to simulate high altitude for my car. That way I can get better mileage. I drive it mostly at or around sea level and with mostly highway miles and a light foot I can get 30 MPG.

Easy way is to take a road trip to CO :D . The higher altitude also relaxes the octane requirement for gas engines - many can use 85 octane just fine. Also altitude plays a big role in power - your car will make less power at higher altitude, forced induction engines (turbos, superchargers) really start to shine here. Same with turbo-diesel powerplants - they can tow loads at high or low altitude with little problem. I doubt it would have much bearing on overall MPG - since most computer-controlled engines can adjust spark timing and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure (makes the effect of altitude smaller).

Easy way is to take a road trip to CO :D . The higher altitude also relaxes the octane requirement for gas engines - many can use 85 octane just fine. Also altitude plays a big role in power - your car will make less power at higher altitude, forced induction engines (turbos, superchargers) really start to shine here. Same with turbo-diesel powerplants - they can tow loads at high or low altitude with little problem. I doubt it would have much bearing on overall MPG - since most computer-controlled engines can adjust spark timing and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure (makes the effect of altitude smaller).

I was thinking more of bringing the higher altitude of CO to my area that I drive, since someone has commented that they got much higher MPG at the higher altitude. I don't plan on moving and I could always use better MPG.

I was thinking more of bringing the higher altitude of CO to my area that I drive, since someone has commented that they got much higher MPG at the higher altitude. I don't plan on moving and I could always use better MPG.

Only if you find a way to bend the laws of physics. You can easily trick the ECM with resistor tricks (not recommended, potential for engine damage for small increase to fuel economy) - but you cannot easily reduce the amount of drag on you car to mimic driving at 4000 or 5000 feet vs sealevel. The aero drag on the car in CO is less than what you will every see at sealevel - car doesn't have to work quite as hard to move around, a good thing, since the higher altitude also sucks down your power.

Only if you find a way to bend the laws of physics. You can easily trick the ECM with resistor tricks (not recommended, potential for engine damage for small increase to fuel economy) - but you cannot easily reduce the amount of drag on you car to mimic driving at 4000 or 5000 feet vs sealevel. The aero drag on the car in CO is less than what you will every see at sealevel - car doesn't have to work quite as hard to move around, a good thing, since the higher altitude also sucks down your power.

That was more of the idea that I had in mind. Altering the controls on my car into believing it was at a higher altitude. I wonder if anyone has ever done that??

That was more of the idea that I had in mind. Altering the controls on my car into believing it was at a higher altitude. I wonder if anyone has ever done that??

They've done the opposite - making the engine think it had more air to work with - you see them on eBay all the time. So called resistor scam - since the car will be running the wrong air/fuel mix. Running the other way is not as popular - since you will be telling the car that you have less air to work with = less power. Might give you better MPG, but the trade off would be constantly tripping the knock sensor (less fuel to help cool intake temps) - which will result in more fuel and less spark advance = items that work against fuel economy.

Big thing would be the aero advantage at higher altitudes (14.7PSI at sealevel, 12.2 - 12.8PSI at 4000 or 5000 feet). Doesn't sound like much, but a significant amount that will affect your numbers. Something that cannot be replicated with any electronics on the car.

They've done the opposite - making the engine think it had more air to work with - you see them on eBay all the time. So called resistor scam - since the car will be running the wrong air/fuel mix. Running the other way is not as popular - since you will be telling the car that you have less air to work with = less power. Might give you better MPG, but the trade off would be constantly tripping the knock sensor (less fuel to help cool intake temps) - which will result in more fuel and less spark advance = items that work against fuel economy.

Big thing would be the aero advantage at higher altitudes (14.7PSI at sealevel, 12.2 - 12.8PSI at 4000 or 5000 feet). Doesn't sound like much, but a significant amount that will affect your numbers. Something that cannot be replicated with any electronics on the car.

So I take it you don't believe in those miracle "chips" that can increase your MPG?

Bad idea.

I posted the link merely to gather input whether the higher altitude observation has any validity.

Bikeman, don't you spend too much time on this board?

Bad idea.

I posted the link merely to gather input whether the higher altitude observation has any validity.

Bikeman, don't you spend too much time on this board?

Ok, I won't alter my engine to think it is at a higher altitude or purchase one of those chips.

I only spend an hour a day on this board - ok, maybe two. Are you trying to get rid of me?

Edited by Bikeman982

Are you trying to get rid of me?

I hate to sound unfriendly, but are you familiar with the concept of hijacking a thread?

Sorry, not familiar with the term, but everyone has freedom of choice and several options that are available to them.

My gas mileage has improved from 28.5 to 33.0 MPG and the only change is the speed I drove.

When I got 28.5 MPG I was driving 80-85 MPH.

When I got 33.0 MPG I was driving 70-75 MPH.

There were no other significant differences and that is the sole basis for better fuel economy.