Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
pgwerner

Just Bought '05 Corolla - Mileage Is Awful!

I just bought a new Corolla less than a month ago - a 2005 Corolla LE, with only 12000 miles on it. I bought it from a dealership and its a Certified Used Vehicle. I've filled it up twice so far and have been keeping track of mileage.

Here's the problem - its only getting about 24 mpg. Its mostly city driving, but a 2005 Corolla is estimated as getting 32 mpg city. My previous vehicle was a 1995 Corolla, and it got about 30 mpg under the same driving conditions.

I'm in the San Francisco area, if that makes a difference - its winter, but our winter weather is pretty mild.

The car handles well and exhibits no other odd symptoms. I'm still under full manufacturers warranty – do I have a warranty claim based on the fact that the mileage isn't what it should be?

Thanks,

Peter

Edited by pgwerner

I don't think you will be able to get any type of warranty claim out of this. If they can't or don't find anything wrong with the car they can always just say it is your driving habits. I didn't see it in your post but is this car auto or stick, and same for your previous car.

Here are some things to check for.

1 -Since this is used the first thing you should do is use a fuel system cleaner. No telling what type of gas the previous owner used. I lose about 4mpg, from 42 to 38, going from Shell gas to Sam's Club gas. I have to attribute this to a cheaper grade of gas and can only assume it is going to dirty the fuel system much faster. The fuel system cleaner I have been the most impressed with is Chevron.

2 - You also don't know where the previous owner has been driving. Check/clean/replace the air filter.

3 - Are the stock tires/wheels still on the car. This can make a HUGE difference in gas mileage. I would also suggest running above the recommended 30 psi. I keep mine at about 35. Running a higher pressure, but not overinflated so that you get heavier wear in the center of the tire, will net you better gas mileage and longer tire life.

4 - When you get the chance make the conversion to synthetic oils. This would include engine, transmission, and differential.

5 - Driving style. Accelerate slow and smooth. More coasting and less braking.

Hope this helps.

Those are all excellent suggestions.

I find warming the car up in the morning, even for as little as five minutes, has a noticeable effect when I calculate my MPG.

I've never gotten anywhere near 24, but have flirted with 30 when my daily drive is under 6 miles total a day.

I have 2005 Corolla CE with manual transmission. Winter mileage is around 38 MGP, summer mileage is around 36 MPG.

It is possible that someone put the wrong grade of oil in the car. It should be 5W30.

Does it have Goodyear Integrity tires? Mine only lasted 20,000 miles. I went with Michelin Harmony, they have a low rolling resistance. I keep them at least @ 30 PSI. Must check PSI with each season change. The air conditioner robs 2-3 MPG, and it runs with the defroster....but sometimes this is necessary.

Some cheap gas does not give same MPG as some name brands. I have good luck with BP/Amoco.

Every 5000 miles you could put in a bottle of Techron fuel injection cleaner (for 12 gallon tank size).

Go back to the dealer you bought the car from and complain about the mileage . You need to start a documented history of the car and mileage complaints. Follow your manual's advice for gas and oil changes.

Any changes you make that are not authorised by the dealer or their rep can affect your claim for the vehicle's poor performance.

Try the dealer first and go from there. They can run scans and diagnostics on the car but you need that written complaint and followup for any future compensation.

You are getting good advice about gas and tires and stuff but you need that documented history from the dealer before you make changes in my opinion.

I have 2005 Corolla CE with manual transmission. Winter mileage is around 38 MGP, summer mileage is around 36 MPG.

You get better mileage in the winter than the summer? :huh: or is that a typo?

In case you are unaware - you get zero miles per gallon with the engine running and you are sitting in traffic. Have you noticed there are a lot of hills in San Francisco? Is the car standard and you are using more gas to keep the car going up those hills in the forward direction? You could need a tune-up (it never hurts to have it properly tuned, as far as mileage goes). It could also be tires (as previously mentioned) or driving habits. Lots of factors affect the gas consumption rate. Hope this helps.

Abnormal gas cunsumption is a common complaint for 05 auto corollas. I'm not sure about manuals, but if you search yahoo auto or other corolla forums, there are two distinct groups - one getting expected/above expected gas mileage, the other getting around ~25 mpg. This issue has been bothering me for a long time, since my car is 05 auto too and I get arounf 25 mpg. No one seems to know exactly how to explain such two distinctive groups. I bought my car new, and my first gas mileage was 24 mpg, and my best was 28. Most of the time I drive conservately, not reving above 3K rpm. It seems though, no matter how conservatively and fuel-efficiently you drive, the unlucky owners of one group of corollas can never get close to the expected gas mileage. I am aware that corollas come with two different ECUs. One from Denso and the other from Delco. Corollas get equipped with either the ECU from Denso or Delco. It might be possible that one of these ECUs is causing bad gas mileage. Unfortunately, the only way to tell what ecu you got is to physically check by taking off the glove box compartment.

Abnormal gas cunsumption is a common complaint for 05 auto corollas. I'm not sure about manuals, but if you search yahoo auto or other corolla forums, there are two distinct groups - one getting expected/above expected gas mileage, the other getting around ~25 mpg. This issue has been bothering me for a long time, since my car is 05 auto too and I get arounf 25 mpg. No one seems to know exactly how to explain such two distinctive groups. I bought my car new, and my first gas mileage was 24 mpg, and my best was 28. Most of the time I drive conservately, not reving above 3K rpm. It seems though, no matter how conservatively and fuel-efficiently you drive, the unlucky owners of one group of corollas can never get close to the expected gas mileage. I am aware that corollas come with two different ECUs. One from Denso and the other from Delco. Corollas get equipped with either the ECU from Denso or Delco. It might be possible that one of these ECUs is causing bad gas mileage. Unfortunately, the only way to tell what ecu you got is to physically check by taking off the glove box compartment.

Is that confirmed that gas mileage is dependent on what brand of ECU?

No, Im just proposing a hypothesis. I may be wrong about ECU causing bad gas mileage.

No, Im just proposing a hypothesis. I may be wrong about ECU causing bad gas mileage.

I know there is a different ECU for automatic than there is for a standard, and of course there is always a difference in gas consumption for those two.

yeah autos and manuals get different settings/values in their ecu. Im trying to say that regardless of whether atuo or manual, corolla comes with 2 different brands of ecu. Manual doesnt come with one beand of ecu and auto doesnt come with the other brand of ecu. They both either come with an ecu from Denso or Delco.

You can get more info about the two ecu that comes with 9th generation corolla on the repair manual-> 10 Egine control system -> ECM on page 967

yeah autos and manuals get different settings/values in their ecu. Im trying to say that regardless of whether atuo or manual, corolla comes with 2 different brands of ecu. Manual doesnt come with one beand of ecu and auto doesnt come with the other brand of ecu. They both either come with an ecu from Denso or Delco.

You can get more info about the two ecu that comes with 9th generation corolla on the repair manual-> 10 Egine control system -> ECM on page 967

I understand what you mean and if it was confirmed that one brand was superior to the other, I would opt for the one that was better. I have changed out lots of ECU's and it is not very difficult.

I bought my car new, and my first gas mileage was 24 mpg, and my best was 28. Most of the time I drive conservately, not reving above 3K rpm. It seems though, no matter how conservatively and fuel-efficiently you drive, the unlucky owners of one group of corollas can never get close to the expected gas mileage. I am aware that corollas come with two different ECUs.

what highway mileage do you get?

I bought my car new, and my first gas mileage was 24 mpg, and my best was 28. Most of the time I drive conservately, not reving above 3K rpm. It seems though, no matter how conservatively and fuel-efficiently you drive, the unlucky owners of one group of corollas can never get close to the expected gas mileage. I am aware that corollas come with two different ECUs.

what highway mileage do you get?

Around 28 going about 70mph, probably close to 30 if I drove around 60 mph.