Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
ycr99

Think I'm Due For An Oil Change...

So, I had my oil changed back in November back when the whole mess w/the O2 sensor happened. Apparently it was the catalytic converter, but b/c the mechanics at Toyota swapped parts before really diagnosing the problem, they made right by fixing both the Catalytic converter and my rear brake light for free.

Since they wanted to charge my dad for some sort of service, he had them do the fluids.

I think I am due to have my oil changed, since it was 51,(and something miles) and it is now 60222 (supposedly).

However, after doing a google search, I am less than enthusiastic getting it done at the local wal-mart or jiffy lube. To my knowledge, we have no mechanic we go to, aside from dealership my dad bought my mom's 94 camry from. And I know dad won't want me to go to dealership to get the oil change done...probably will say I don't need an oil change...

I don't want to pay alot for an oil change, but do you think the local wal-mart will do a decent job changing my oil? It seems like they've done a decent job in the past...,but you never know...and you know what you get for when what you pay for is around $15.00.

I had my car serviced at NTB, but that's when the whole brakes/rotors issues occurred and my dad complained about their mechanic, and sent the car to Toyota West and they fixed the rotors (or so they say), they fixed the squeal when I turned, but now I'm hearing it squeak again when I back out. (That's a year ago).

Basically, I would like advice of where to take my car to have it serviced for oil change, if it needs one. If I feel incapable of doing it myself...(which I do)

You're saying you've gone almost 10,000 miles since your last change, so, you are certainly due. You should be changing the oil every 7,500 miles minimum if you're using dino oil. Wal-Mart and Jiffy Lube are not good places to get your oil changed. If you don't want to do it yourself, the dealership really is your best bet.

Edited by Max

Bummer...

However, since I know I won't be able to get in tomorrow w/the dealership, and I'm not that enthusiastic w/our dealer since those other incidents...I guess, I will get against Max's advice, even though I think it's good advice... and go to Wal-Mart....

I will be up at 7:00 then...

I think I should get the tires aligned since, I did hit that jarring pothole couple weeks back...I wish there was a way I could keep tabs on those "mechanics" @ Wal-mart so that even a novice could tell that tires are being aligned properly...

Or would I be better off going to Discount Tire Co. or NTB?

There's no such thing as aligning tires. The wheels are what get aligned.

Most Toyota dealerships offer Express Lube. No appointment neccesary, oil change is done in about 30 minutes. Oh, well. Good luck at Wal Mart.

Edited by Max

I am not sure I trust Wal-mart enough to align my wheels.

I haven't noticed any pulling, so I think it's ok...

I hope I can trust those Wal-mart people to change the oil....

Correction on mileage at previous oil change...on the invoice it says 57678..it's currently at 60248.

x_x I hope my car doesn't become another Wal-mart victim...

I will bring my previous statement w/me so that they do what they did last time and nothing more.

(I'm not sure what they meant in my old statement of 'transmission leaking') well, that was also when my dad was taking Corolla back and forth to dealer, so I am gonna assume they fixed it (dealer).

We'll see...I must say, the "technician" that did the previous oil changed did hit on accurately some things that dealer's mechanic also picked up on...,but 'transmission leaking' wasn't one of them...I don't see any leaks/puddles on the pavement, so I assume that issue was resolved when car was taken to dealer to replace catalytic converter/muffler/3rd brake light (I assume on my spoiler).

Edited by ycr99

Oil changes are not too big a deal. You could read the manual and follow that and do it yourself. Have a friend help you and you should be fine. It may take longer than Walmart or a dealer, but you will learn from it and be less dependent on others. Wheel alignments can aslo be done at places that sell tires and they would be better than Walmart. If your car does not seem to drift or move to one side when you drive straight and let go of your steering wheel, it is probably fine. Also if it does not vibrate or shake it is probably fine. If you hit a deep pothole, you should check the rim for damage.

Edited by Bikeman982

So, went to Wal-mart for oil change. I only had them do what was necissary, no extra stuff. They changed my oil. It was the manager and one other guy, so I think that minimized the error factor. Whenever it's busy, those mooks will keep you waiting, or they'll mess up.

I really'd like to learn, but alot of my friends are girls, and they don't want to get their nails dirty :D *L*

I did not get any alignment b/c I figure, if I'm not pulling I must be ok, plus tires are practically new...only 8 mos. old now...

You got lucky that Wal-Mart didn't break something. You will probably have a really hard time trying to change your own oil now tho, because just about every fast food oil change place will overtighten the oil pan plug and oil filter to the point of insainity.

A wal-mart oil change is better then no oil change, but that's about it. Next time, do it yourself or at least find a toyota dealer or a good local mom and pop shop. Just avoid the large chain oil quick and screw up places. A 10 minuet oil change guaranty is not a good thing. Some things just shouldn't be rushed. Everyone I know, including myself, makes mistakes when they are rushed and tired. Do you think you would feel up to a quality oil change job if you had to do quick, fast, oil changes all day long day in and day out? Remember, you also gotta take the time to take the air filter out, try and screw the owner over on something that they don't need. So, that probably acually only leaves about 8 maybe 8 and a half minuets to do a oil change.

Edited by gvr4ever

They weren't rushed (yet). I was customer #2. I was there at 7:59:40

I was there when they first opend up the bays. But you are right. I did get lucky this time around. Like I said before, I wouldn't mind doing it myself, if I had the right friends to help me w/the job. (and the right tools)

Since I'm the dummy that ends up letting air out when trying to check air pressure, I just thought DIY was a bad idea. Since I can tune a bike (manual bike) better than a car, I think I'll let someone else tune my car.

B)

If anyone has no clue on how to do an oil change, here's a DIY with photos for a 2003+ Corolla:

http://www.9thgencorolla.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7144

Hope it helps.

Safety warning: do not get under the car supported only by the jack. Use jack stands, or as I've mentioned before, there should be enough room underneath to get at the oil drain plug with the car parked on the curb. Drive across your driveway and put the passenger side wheels on the high side, driver's side on the road.

They weren't rushed (yet). I was customer #2. I was there at 7:59:40

I was there when they first opend up the bays. But you are right. I did get lucky this time around. Like I said before, I wouldn't mind doing it myself, if I had the right friends to help me w/the job. (and the right tools)

Since I'm the dummy that ends up letting air out when trying to check air pressure, I just thought DIY was a bad idea. Since I can tune a bike (manual bike) better than a car, I think I'll let someone else tune my car.

B)

Maybe time to find a friend that can help you? Get ready for your next oil change - read the manuals and look at your car to identify what it talks about. You may take longer, but there is a lot of personal satisfaction when you know that you can do it without help.

I cant seem to be able to download any of those pictures completely from that 9thgenerationcorolla forum link. Can someone do me a favor and save that document as html with pictures and email to crypticlineage at gmail dot com?

Thanks guys.

I cant seem to be able to download any of those pictures completely from that 9thgenerationcorolla forum link. Can someone do me a favor and save that document as html with pictures and email to crypticlineage at gmail dot com?

Thanks guys.

Try this - post in in the address - http://www.9thgencorolla.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7144

One thing I'd like to touch on is that if you do the oil change yourself, you can pick the oil that you use. ANY of the quick-lube/walmart places are going to use the cheapest, bought by the barrel oil they can find. They are out to make a profit... not make your car last longer. If you really want to get it done at a big chain, watch them (stand outside the bay, watch in the window, whatever it takes) and at least look over the "how to do an oil change" stuff. At least then you can avoid the lube center forgetting to put oil in at all, or leaving your drain plug out. I'd change the oil twice as often with cheap oil.

I would like to find some friends that would be willing to get their hands dirty and help me do an oil change by myself, but I'll have to keep looking. :) This time it was (unfortunately) at the mercy of the Walmart manager..., but usually use mobil 1.

That DIY guide seems very thorough, although one picture was ripped (didn't show), all else seemed fine. :D I hope the next oil change I have is a DIY one. :D

I just need to get the tools... and by then, hopefully it won't be that cold out. :D

I could even use the driveway method, thought our driveway is only about a 5 degree angle. I know some houses have a 20 degree driveway and some even a 25 degree driveway. Does it work better if your driveway is steeper?

I don't have a digital camera right now b/c my POS HP one died, so I am in the process of finding a new one (eyes are on the Fuji Finepix)

Thanks guys...

Edited by ycr99