Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
crypticlineage

Engine Repair/replacement Advice Needed

Since the dealer pointed out that the car had non-OEM parts instead of explaining what is really involved in an engine diagnosis - may mean this dealer does not have your best interests at hand (they just want to suck more money out of you).

I agree that the engine will eventually have to be disassembled to get an exact idea of what the problem is - but there are many other test that can be done first before the engine should even be taken apart.

Did they check compression in the cylinders? Check for leaks, missing hoses, etc? Simple visual inspections. Did they verify oil consumption at the dealership? (usually they have you stop at set mileage intervals and document the oil level and amount needed to bring the level back up.) I've read somewhere the maximum oil consumption on that particular engine used to be 1 quart for every 1500 miles (they changed it to 0.85 quarts per 1000 after VW, Chrystler, and others had problems with oil consumption and oil "gelation" problems). Service manager should be able to show you a factory spec sheet with this written on it - if they don't - automatically means to avoid the dealership.

They did not do any compression tests. I was actually expecting them to do that mainly. When I asked why not, he said, compression test is not going to tell anything. Basically they did not do any diagnostic tests nor did they ask to put the car on a oil consumption monitoring program. I do actually have a detailed spreadsheet of problems, diagnosis and solution/repair on the car up until now and an approximate oil consumption observation is covered in it.

Mere fact that they want $780 just to take the engine apart for visual inspection turned my red flags on. I strongly suspect that (like you said) they want to rip me off.

Somehow it seems to me that if I want to keep this car instead of trading it in next year, swapping the motor would definitely be a cheaper solution than rebuilding this one.

Regardless of what I decide to do with this car eventually, I am stuck with it for at least a year. It is definitely not going to pass emission test due december 2006. I just hope that the motor will not die before that, because then it will be like a white elephant. Insurance could not be cancelled in that even because there is lien on the car.

This has been a very good lesson. I am doing thorough research and investigation before I buy my next Corolla.

Thanks fishexpo for taking time explaining things, much appreciated!

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

I have no idea what you mean by what you said. Sorry English is not my first language.

What I meant was that the dealership seems to be taking advantage of you and you could use some help that has greater influence with them. The legal suggestion sounds good and could prove beneficial to you, especially if you have no negigence and the car was sold under false pretenses. You can go to a higher person at the dealership and even to a Toyota representative to state your case (better to have a legal person do it). You should not have to pay so much from that dealership to make things right with your car.

Not sure how I missed this thred, but I recomend contacting a lemon lawyer in your state. If you have a solid case, they will fight for you and you will only have to pay them if you win a law suit.

Your original post is from the 17th. Not sure when you bought the car, but if you just got it, paying a lawer $100-150 to write a letter to the dealer for you might solve all your problems. You got cheated big time and what they did is illegal. If your lucky, a letter is probably all it will take for the dealer to buy the car back. It sounds like you bought your car from a scummy dealer and they probably won't have the resorces or want to take the time to fight any legal action. You might acually have the upper hand.

I recomend tring to fight for a full buy back and choosing a different car. I don't recomend spending ANY more money tring to fix anything on this car. Also, you should fight to get back any money you spent on a useless warranty. Just do a google search for a lemon lawyer in your state. If you can't get a buy back, I would try and trade the car in, even at a loss, and get something newer. A new GM would be a better choice then a busted Corolla.

You have been cheated in so many ways and even the toyota dealer broke the law by complaining about non toyota parts. That's BS.

I forget how many hours it is, but when you buy a car new or used, you acually have a short time to change your mind. It's usually 300 miles and 48 hours or something like that. A dealer might tell you otherwise, but you acually have a small window to change your mind. Keep that in mind in the future if you ever have major problems like this again.

I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope you learned from this. Next time, try and buy from a toyota dealer and you can use google to see how a dealer is rated. Dealers have reputations to uphold. Some dealers are good, and some are very bad, but I would ALWAYS avoid the random used car dealer. If you must buy from them or any used car for that matter. Next time, spend $150-$200 for a mechanic to check the car over for you. Use the phone book to find a import mechanic and shop around for decent prices. I do all my own work now (thanks to scummy mechanics) and it can be hard to find a good mechanic, but finding a good mechanic is just as important is buying the right car. In some cases, it can acually be more important. It's rare, but I know of a few good mechanics who have VERY fair prices. They are usually foren, and own a private shop. Fear whity who has a sports car parked in front of the shop :)

I just wanted to add real quick. CARFAX!!!!! They will show owner ship changes. When we were looking at Corolla's we looked at used ones first. Barly used certified ones at that. We ran a car fax on one of them, and it had come from Flordia (we were in Chicagoland) the car had bounced off of dealers, car auctions and everything. I think it had 10 legal owners already. We RAN out of the dealership. They acually had the balls to call us the next day to ask if we were still intersted in the car. We went back to another dealer we had already visited and just bought a new one. BEWARE of used cars right now. The market is FLOODED with cars that have been well, flooded. Litterly. Do a carfax on ANY used car you might buy.

Edited by gvr4ever

Since the dealer pointed out that the car had non-OEM parts instead of explaining what is really involved in an engine diagnosis - may mean this dealer does not have your best interests at hand (they just want to suck more money out of you).

I agree that the engine will eventually have to be disassembled to get an exact idea of what the problem is - but there are many other test that can be done first before the engine should even be taken apart.

Did they check compression in the cylinders? Check for leaks, missing hoses, etc? Simple visual inspections. Did they verify oil consumption at the dealership? (usually they have you stop at set mileage intervals and document the oil level and amount needed to bring the level back up.) I've read somewhere the maximum oil consumption on that particular engine used to be 1 quart for every 1500 miles (they changed it to 0.85 quarts per 1000 after VW, Chrystler, and others had problems with oil consumption and oil "gelation" problems). Service manager should be able to show you a factory spec sheet with this written on it - if they don't - automatically means to avoid the dealership.

They did not do any compression tests. I was actually expecting them to do that mainly. When I asked why not, he said, compression test is not going to tell anything. Basically they did not do any diagnostic tests nor did they ask to put the car on a oil consumption monitoring program. I do actually have a detailed spreadsheet of problems, diagnosis and solution/repair on the car up until now and an approximate oil consumption observation is covered in it.

Mere fact that they want $780 just to take the engine apart for visual inspection turned my red flags on. I strongly suspect that (like you said) they want to rip me off.

Somehow it seems to me that if I want to keep this car instead of trading it in next year, swapping the motor would definitely be a cheaper solution than rebuilding this one.

Regardless of what I decide to do with this car eventually, I am stuck with it for at least a year. It is definitely not going to pass emission test due december 2006. I just hope that the motor will not die before that, because then it will be like a white elephant. Insurance could not be cancelled in that even because there is lien on the car.

This has been a very good lesson. I am doing thorough research and investigation before I buy my next Corolla.

Don't blame Toyota's for all the trouble. Sure you could have a really bad dealer you are trying to work thru, but Toyota itself cannot be blamed. Also the car you have may have been used and abused by previous owners prior to your purchase. Depending on how much you paid for the car, it may have still been a good deal - even with an engine change. I always do a little research, such as checking www.kbb.com (Kelly Blue Book) before I buy any vehicle. There is a lemon law and also legal actions that can be taken to correct your problem. Remember that your car is an exception and not the rule, when it comes to Toyotas. I feel your pain and suggest that if you don't get resolution and end up keeping the car that you get it fixed and you will experience that Toyota feeling of reliability. Remember that a good car that is conservatively driven and properly maintained can provide you with many years of pleasurable service. Hang in there and good luck!

Don't blame Toyota's for all the trouble. Sure you could have a really bad dealer you are trying to work thru, but Toyota itself cannot be blamed. Also the car you have may have been used and abused by previous owners prior to your purchase. Depending on how much you paid for the car, it may have still been a good deal - even with an engine change. I always do a little research, such as checking www.kbb.com (Kelly Blue Book) before I buy any vehicle. There is a lemon law and also legal actions that can be taken to correct your problem. Remember that your car is an exception and not the rule, when it comes to Toyotas. I feel your pain and suggest that if you don't get resolution and end up keeping the car that you get it fixed and you will experience that Toyota feeling of reliability. Remember that a good car that is conservatively driven and properly maintained can provide you with many years of pleasurable service. Hang in there and good luck!

A bad toyota dealer is bad for toyota. It has toyota's name on it, they sell toyota cars, and even if they are a independently owned dealer, they speak for toyota. I would call toyota's help line and at least complain. Toyota is going to try and outsell GM this year. They want all the customers they can get and they can't afford to loose customers over a bad dealer. I bet that dealers manager would get a nice chunk taken out of his ###### if the right complaint was made.

$750 just to inspect a engine is a insult. Aside from a visual inspection to look for oil leaks, a compression check should be the 2nd thing they do. They can inspect the spark plugs at the same time and be able to tell what each bank is doing. That is the shadytree mechaical way of doing things. They can plug the car up the diagnostics and tell exacly what the engine is doing. Any dealer who sells you a part that doesn't fix a problem is full of crap and tring to rip you off, or is full of worthless mechanics that don't know what they are doing. At most, it should only cost an hour of work to get a really good ideal exacly what is wrong with a engine.

A bad toyota dealer is bad for toyota. It has toyota's name on it, they sell toyota cars, and even if they are a independently owned dealer, they speak for toyota. I would call toyota's help line and at least complain. Toyota is going to try and outsell GM this year. They want all the customers they can get and they can't afford to loose customers over a bad dealer. I bet that dealers manager would get a nice chunk taken out of his ###### if the right complaint was made.

$750 just to inspect a engine is a insult. Aside from a visual inspection to look for oil leaks, a compression check should be the 2nd thing they do. They can inspect the spark plugs at the same time and be able to tell what each bank is doing. That is the shadytree mechaical way of doing things. They can plug the car up the diagnostics and tell exacly what the engine is doing. Any dealer who sells you a part that doesn't fix a problem is full of crap and tring to rip you off, or is full of worthless mechanics that don't know what they are doing. At most, it should only cost an hour of work to get a really good ideal exacly what is wrong with a engine.

I agree with you totally on your assessment. My point was that he may have an abused car and also his dealer may not be representative of Toyota. If the dealer and mechanics there are unscrupulous then they should be singled out and corrected and/or replaced. It can be true of any business that not everyone has integrity and deals honestly with their customers. Some people are just out to make the $$$ and don't care about the customer. Just because there is one (well maybe a couple considering the number of them), that is bad, it does not make every Toyota and every dealer bad.

okay let me clarify something. The dealership I bought the car from is different from the one I got the assessment done at (or not done at) recently. The seller crooks are a used car lot and I was completely naive about this entire thing when I bought it.

I am writing a letter to regional manager at the local toyota dealership complaining about the assessment that was not performed on the engine, confronting them of violating the Magnuson-Moss Act and not fixing the door handle that they broke. I am sending a copy of the letter to Toyota. Let's see what happens.

Also, I am meeting up with a lawyer next week to figure out if I can sue the crooks who sold the car.

I will keep you guys updated. I have to say this, you guys have offerred me more solid information and support than anyone around me. Thank you guys, I really appreciate that. If not for you guys, I would have probably made a compromise and taken a loss of six grand (incl. taxes) plus whatever repairs I made on it so far ($700) - not to mention the oil needs to be poured down its throat every week. I may still end up doing it, but at least I could say that I tried.

okay let me clarify something. The dealership I bought the car from is different from the one I got the assessment done at (or not done at) recently. The seller crooks are a used car lot and I was completely naive about this entire thing when I bought it.

I am writing a letter to regional manager at the local toyota dealership complaining about the assessment that was not performed on the engine, confronting them of violating the Magnuson-Moss Act and not fixing the door handle that they broke. I am sending a copy of the letter to Toyota. Let's see what happens.

Also, I am meeting up with a lawyer next week to figure out if I can sue the crooks who sold the car.

I will keep you guys updated. I have to say this, you guys have offerred me more solid information and support than anyone around me. Thank you guys, I really appreciate that. If not for you guys, I would have probably made a compromise and taken a loss of six grand (incl. taxes) plus whatever repairs I made on it so far ($700) - not to mention the oil needs to be poured down its throat every week. I may still end up doing it, but at least I could say that I tried.

Sounds like you are taking some good steps in the right direction. Keep us all updated as it progresses. I for one will stand behind you in support.

One thing also - if you bought the car in california (not sure where you are) and it's burning oil, there may be state ramifications to them selling you a car that will not even come close to meeting emissions.

Get that lawyer and go get em! Do it for me, cause I got hosed just like this - $7k for a prizm with 48k miles that burned 1 qt/1k - for the last 20k it was burning like 1 qt/80-100... I put new rings in, and it has burned not a drop since. Not fun, and I'd love to see you do what it takes to get out of a bad deal.

One thing you can do is just go buy a compression tester yourself - they're like $15 for a cheapie at advance. Take the plugs out, put the tester on each cylinder and crank 6-7 times with the throttle wide open. Read the pressure, take it off, put a teaspoon or two of oil in the cylinder, and repeat, for each cylinder. If the reading goes up when you add the oil, bad/stuck rings. Does it smell like bad eggs? That's a reasonably sure sign of bad rings... and knowing for certain what is wrong could be helpful.

One thing also - if you bought the car in california (not sure where you are) and it's burning oil, there may be state ramifications to them selling you a car that will not even come close to meeting emissions.

Get that lawyer and go get em! Do it for me, cause I got hosed just like this - $7k for a prizm with 48k miles that burned 1 qt/1k - for the last 20k it was burning like 1 qt/80-100... I put new rings in, and it has burned not a drop since. Not fun, and I'd love to see you do what it takes to get out of a bad deal.

One thing you can do is just go buy a compression tester yourself - they're like $15 for a cheapie at advance. Take the plugs out, put the tester on each cylinder and crank 6-7 times with the throttle wide open. Read the pressure, take it off, put a teaspoon or two of oil in the cylinder, and repeat, for each cylinder. If the reading goes up when you add the oil, bad/stuck rings. Does it smell like bad eggs? That's a reasonably sure sign of bad rings... and knowing for certain what is wrong could be helpful.

What does it mean when the car does not run and you put a compression tester on each cylinder as you crank it and you get little to no compression? Does it means the rings are totally shot? What else could it indicate? How would you go about fixing it??

Some things that may cause little or compression to be present when turning the motor over:

- Excessive carbon buildup on valve seat or face

- Excessive ring wear/cylinder wear (broken)

- Rings/cylinder scored

- Blown head gasket

- Broken valvetrain, holed piston, broken rod (pretty remote chance)

Did you try shooting in some oil into the cylinder and rechecking compression? If it improves - it would probably lead to the rings being the problem. If it doesn't - then you are looking at valves, headgasket, or something worse being the potential problems areas.

Low compression can mean bad rings, bad head gasket, or bent valves, or even a bad block I guess (not too common). If the compession is nothing, I would look for a major leak like the head gasket or a bent valve. If it's just below what it should be, it's probably the pistons rings. It could also be carbon build up on the valves not allowing them to seat well I guess.

Also, the compression should be tested when the engine is hot.

Good point - the compression tests should be done when the engine if fully warmed up - which can be a problem if the car will not run at all. Still a cold compression test will tell you what you need to know. Readings will not be as consistent as a hot compression test - but you will not burn yourself accidentally and get a good baseline to compare further testing down the road.

Low compression can mean bad rings, bad head gasket, or bent valves, or even a bad block I guess (not too common). If the compession is nothing, I would look for a major leak like the head gasket or a bent valve. If it's just below what it should be, it's probably the pistons rings. It could also be carbon build up on the valves not allowing them to seat well I guess.

Also, the compression should be tested when the engine is hot.

The engine will not run so it would be difficult to test compression when warmed up. What are the indications if a head gasket is leaking? Can rings be replaced without pulling the engine out? What would little to no compression in all cylinders indicate versus just in one cylinder?

The engine will not run so it would be difficult to test compression when warmed up. What are the indications if a head gasket is leaking? Can rings be replaced without pulling the engine out? What would little to no compression in all cylinders indicate versus just in one cylinder?

no compression in all cylinders would indicate the same problem is affecting all cylinders - maybe broken timing belt/chain (sitting with all the valves partially open probably), really, really bad head gasket, broken head bolt(s), holed head/piston... obliterated rings, ie really, really bad.

if they're all extremely low i'd expect bad head gasket (the newer 1zz's use metal head gaskets, love em) or broken head bolt or something. broken head bolt would be very unlikely - they're stupid strong and unless you reused them too many times (there's a spec) they'd be hard to break.

moderately low (anything above 40% of "new") probably bad rings/valves/seats/springs

bad in one cylinder, could be bad rings, head gasket, broken valve, bent valve, seal, seat, piston, rod, cylinder wall.... virtually anything

this doesn't help at all, does it? there's no easy answer without running at least a few checks