Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
rmanz

Saggy Rear End

Bikeman982,

I've changed all the struts on an '89 and a '90 and I did not see much difference in the ride on either car. The struts will affect how much you bounce up and down after hitting a bump but they won't eliminate the "thump" when you hit one.

trap

I had Monroe struts installed 10K ago and I'm not pleased with the ride (not like new). Lifetime warranty on Monroes but having them switched back to OEM at not charge. Would it be a wise decision to have the springs replaced also? 130K on the Corolla?

Sounds like Monroes may not be the best struts to use. I am looking for a strut/spring combination that takes the bite out of bumps as well as smooths out the roads when you drive. Shouldn't the springs help on the bumps? What is it that will help eliminate the initial thud as you go over a bump? Is it more the springs or the struts?

That's right - springs will take the brunt of most bumps and load capacity of the vehicle - but struts will also heavily influence how the car behaves over bumps and road variations. If the car is showing any signs of reduced ride height, constant bottoming with heavy loads, or wierd alignment issues affecting tire wear - this could be attributed to worn or sagging springs. Lifespan will very considerably on how the car was driven, loads it carried, and age. If the car is several years old and has 100K+ miles on it - I would not hesistate to replace the springs and struts together if there was any signs of trouble. The additional cost is very little compared to the amount of labor involved.

That's right - springs will take the brunt of most bumps and load capacity of the vehicle - but struts will also heavily influence how the car behaves over bumps and road variations. If the car is showing any signs of reduced ride height, constant bottoming with heavy loads, or wierd alignment issues affecting tire wear - this could be attributed to worn or sagging springs. Lifespan will very considerably on how the car was driven, loads it carried, and age. If the car is several years old and has 100K+ miles on it - I would not hesistate to replace the springs and struts together if there was any signs of trouble. The additional cost is very little compared to the amount of labor involved.

Fish is correct. For an extra $200.00 for 4 springs, it was well worth it. With the new OEM strutts and springs, it feels like new. Prices are decent at this website. https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/partscat.html

I think the springs are fine and the struts are worn and when I get some money and time I will probably change them, or just tolerate the ride as it is now.