Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
ycr99

Lack Of Traction In Snow

ive driven down roads with 4 or more inches of unplowed snow in my 93 with my all season yokohama Avid H4s.

i dispute what the reveiws say about wet traction, but then again ive taken the time to figure out what pressures front and rear work the best across dry, wet, and snow. i will however agree that you can feel them run up on the sidewall which is rather annoying on a sharp turn. at $50 each tho, theyre good tires. i'll get falken ziex 512's next time.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComme...commentStatus=P

http://www.discounttire.com/product/tires/yokhhj.xl.jpg

they dont roll off the tread onto the sidewall, but you can feel them move.

http://www.miata.net/products/wheels/yoko_avid.html user reveiws from miata owners.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

I invested in a set of Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires last year, and their performance on snow, ice, and wet roads has been nothing short of phenomenal. Moreover, they are also giving me much improved fuel economy, compared to the OEM Firestone FR690's that came with the car. Probably the only way to improve Winter driving performance over them would be to go to a dedicated Winter tire, like the Bridgestone Blizzak or the Michelin Artic Alpin (I forget the name of Goodyear's dedicated Winter tire, used to be the F-32).

Is it worth buying snow tires (at minimum 2 since I doubt I could afford a whole set) for my car if it snows intermittently? The weather is unpredictable, and there is no gaurentee that we'll be in a constant drift for the next 3 months...I don't know what to do...,but I do know my tires are crappy in the snow...slushy, and unplowed roads...

if the snow is high enough, and the road makes kindof like a track, that is a little easier for me to drive in, but don't know...

This week is ok, but I have a feeling we'll be digging out by next week or something...

NO!!! No tires shop will sell you only two tires. If they do, they are a lousy shop. Snow tires have more traction then other tires. If you put them in the front only, you will most likly spin the back of your car around. It's not safe to install only two of them.

Actually, I've been driving with two on my 3500 lb van for 7 years and never experienced that problem. But I agree, you should get 4 if possible. As I just said, I've had that van for 7 years, put the tires in late Dec-early January, take 'em off in early March. Never needed another set. Set you mind at ease and make oine purchase which shouuld handle you snow driving needs for the life of you car.

I invested in a set of Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires last year, and their performance on snow, ice, and wet roads has been nothing short of phenomenal. Moreover, they are also giving me much improved fuel economy, compared to the OEM Firestone FR690's that came with the car. Probably the only way to improve Winter driving performance over them would be to go to a dedicated Winter tire, like the Bridgestone Blizzak or the Michelin Artic Alpin (I forget the name of Goodyear's dedicated Winter tire, used to be the F-32).

Interesting, usually, people loose MPG with these TT tires. Are you sure you don't drive slower these days?

Is it worth buying snow tires (at minimum 2 since I doubt I could afford a whole set) for my car if it snows intermittently? The weather is unpredictable, and there is no gaurentee that we'll be in a constant drift for the next 3 months...I don't know what to do...,but I do know my tires are crappy in the snow...slushy, and unplowed roads...

if the snow is high enough, and the road makes kindof like a track, that is a little easier for me to drive in, but don't know...

This week is ok, but I have a feeling we'll be digging out by next week or something...

Right now we have no snow...,but in ceneral ohio it's a case of snow then thaw, and sometimes a cycle. I'm just not sure if I should buy snow tires, I know they might help me in the snow (but, how do they perform on slush? Ice mix?)

That is exactly what snow tires (winter tires) were designed to operate in. Most all season tires can get around in light snow - even some icy slush. Snow tires can take that stuff no problem at all. Keep in mind that they will not bend the laws of physics - too much speed in a corner on ice, even with winter tires, and you will slide. That is why it is important to run them in sets - the grip is suprising high, mixing them will cause trouble. No big deal on larger RWD cars (ran those for years on only two snow tires) - but on lighter FWD cars and AWD vehicles a must to keep the dynamic balance in check.

Darn! Money is tight, dunno what to do...

dunno where I'd store my 7 mo. tires in the mean time, do tire places charge you a storage fee?

I won't be able to afford snow tires until February...darn it...(I assume snow tires cost more than normal tires)

I think I will look locally and see if any of the Discount Tire Co. or NTBs in my area sell winter tires, if not...I may have to buy some off of Tire Rack, but since I am no mechanic or DIYer, I am curious if they ship the snow tires to a shop and the shop will install and balance the tires (no doubt for a fee)...?

ycr- Yes, Tire Rack will ship to a shop near you that will balance and mount your snow tires. Fee shouldn't be any more than the shop would charge if you bought from them.

Now, if only if I could find a reliable shop... the only places I've used are the dealer (now that was an ordeal), and when I had the 89 Monroe Muffler Brake...would they install tires I buy online?

Interesting, usually, people loose MPG with these TT tires. Are you sure you don't drive slower these days?

If that is so, you couldn't prove it by me! As for my driving speeds, I'm always within 5 MPH of the posted speed limit. I have a Commercial Driver's License (CDL - B ) and make my living with it, so I can't play silly games like other people can behind the wheel. Now, if driving at those speeds is a factor in getting good fuel economy -- and I'm sure it is -- then that explains why other people are complaining about lousy fuel economy in their Corollas. Another factor is that I keep my tire pressures on the high side - never below 35 PSI.

Edited by Larry Roll