Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
ycr99

Lack Of Traction In Snow

So, at the end of June, pretty much July...I got new tires...BF Goodrich A/T costing me $78/tire...so with tax it was around $350 with the added guarentee if they fail within' 60,000 mi the company would replace the tires... Should I take the tires back?

Since this only happens in winter, and snow...I just drove drive slow, but that doesn't always help....especially on curvy, or slightly hilly roads...

I was all confident about my first tire purchase, but in this weather, I am not quite sure... :\ (I can't afford to buy another set of new tires...)

As far as I know, BF Goodrich only makes a "Winter Slalom" (or however you spell it) tire. Between myself and two other co-workers..we just bought new Blizzaks/Michelin X-Ice/Dunlop Graspics. All three of us at work tonight commented about how we still had a rough time going to work in the storm today....but without snow tires at all it would have been much worse. I don't know where you live or how much snow you get, but when driving up a steep hill for instance....I prefer to drive in the lane with the unplowed snow as opposed to the other plowed land with the nice flat slippery surface.

The BF Goodrich Traction T/A are an all season tire - kind of a all-in-one type of tire. On snow or with a little ice like we had the northestern part of the country - they will not be as good as a dedicated snow tire.

The BFG is a good tire - just not a "real" snow tire. Not much you can do about that (all season designation can be quite misleading). Just have to drive to fit the conditions.

Is this what you got? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...e1=yes&place=13

They are acually rated pretty good for snow. They will still not be as good as a dedicated snow tire, but they should be plenty safe. The corollas are really light cars. We have blizzacks on our car this winter and I'm a little disapointed. The first snow was fine powder snow tho and very slippery. Maybe a wetter snow won't be so bad. The car was safe, but I could tell the weight of the car was not helping.

A dedicated snow tire helps with take off traction, stopping, cornering. They don't really allow you to safly drive faster tho. You can, but if you drive like you had regular tires, you will be safer then ever. With snow tires, my main fear is getting hit by someone else.

To be honest, compared to other vehicles I've owned, I found the Corolla to be a fairly poor winter car. Maybe the tires are too wide for the weight of the car, the clutch was diffuclt to modulate smoothly on slick pavement, to brakes and steering lacked the right feedback.

If I had winter wheels on a Corolla, I'd definietly use 185's and not the 195's and play arouns with slightly higher and lower tire pressures.

I just checked the bill I got from Discount Tire Co. and the tires are BFG Precept tires....

I guess they're not all season tires..?

(I could've sworn I saw an A/T marking stamped on the outside of the tire...)

I guess I'm gonna attempt tomorrow to check the tire pressure and add more air if needed, in hopes of getting a better grip in winter...

I am assuming because of it's weigh, and the fact that it sways in any bit of wind...it makes it very hard to drive in winter, but I know that can't be all of it because I see old Honda hatchbacks and old Camrys on the road getting better traction than my car... :(

Is it my car, tires? My driving?? *I've only driven my mom's old (now dead) Subaru GL, (the now also deceased and gone away 89 Corolla, and this car)

I did drive a rental Dodge Stratus, and didn't like how it drove ...it was a sporty coupe, but the braking gave me whiplash...

Forget all the BS with so called all season or 4 season tires. They actually are 3 season tires only and will never replace a good set of winter tires when you encounter snow and winter conditions.

BTW, we had 42 cm of the white stuff today in less than 12 hours...

And I can tell you that an AWD Astro van shod with cheap BF Goodrich Winter Slalom winter tires is pretty amazing in snow.

On my Corolla, I have a set of Toyo G02+ 185/65-15 on dedicated steel wheels for the winter. Cheap insurance.

Edited by Ti-Jean

Forget all the BS with so called all season or 4 season tires. They actually are 3 season tires only and will never replace a good set of winter tires when you encounter snow and winter conditions.

And I can tell you that an AWD Astro van shod with cheap BF Goodrich Winter Slalom winter tires is pretty amazing in snow.

On my Corolla, I have a set of Toyo G02+ 185/65-15 on dedicated steel wheels for the winter. Cheap insurance.

My last visit to Quebec in the winter I rented a Dodge Caravan in Quebec City. It did not have any snow tires. I drove to Riviere Du Loup and spent 3 days there. I slid around a lot, but as one time Michigan native it was managable for me. Luckily it was -25C so you had descent traction. My only trouble is that everyone else had snow tires and was driving AT or ABOVE the posts speed limits on hardpacked snow. Ironically, I returned in the late summer, and found that most people were driving UNDER the posted speed limits. Very strange.

My last visit to Quebec in the winter I rented a Dodge Caravan in Quebec City. It did not have any snow tires. I drove to Riviere Du Loup and spent 3 days there. I slid around a lot, but as one time Michigan native it was managable for me. Luckily it was -25C so you had descent traction. My only trouble is that everyone else had snow tires and was driving AT or ABOVE the posts speed limits on hardpacked snow. Ironically, I returned in the late summer, and found that most people were driving UNDER the posted speed limits. Very strange.

This is one bad thing about rental cars not being fitted with winter tires in Quebec. Those companies don't want to bother with those for only 1 winter and dump the cars on the next summer or fall. Always beware of Impalas, Tauruses and the like with a Quebec licence plate beginning with an "F". If not a cop car, it's a rental or company car with no winter tires.

My parents come from the Rivière-du-Loup region and I still have a lof of relatives living in that area, including my brother. They all live between La Pocatière and Rivière-du-Loup and I can tell you that winters are real in that area. I would never touch anything without good winter tires over there. Heavier vehicles with winter tires generally do very well. Ironically, as you said, people just drive as fast in the winter because they are used to the conditions and traffic is very light in this sparsely populated area. OTOH, whenever there is a storm in a large city like Montreal, Toronto or any US city for that matter, traffic rapidly comes to a standstill for hours. While in rural areas of Quebec, you can still drive almost as fast as you would without the snow, hence the very usefullness of good winter tires.

BTW, I remember when I started to drive small FWD cars around 1980, the word was that we that we could do without winter tires on them because of the apparent better stability and traction FWD provided. Ditto for AWD and 4 X 4 vehicles as well. Well now, I just don't know of anybody in Quebec that doesn't have winter tires on his/her car, even in Montreal.

Did you go to Rivière-du-Loup for business?

Running the tires a little lower than door sticker pressure will create a wider footprint in the loose snow. i have all season yokohama avid's on my prizm and i've never had the car do anything i didnt want it to in the snow. ive never slid or slipped an inch that i didnt expect. when the weather gets bad i just slow down, lean back, put on some music and take it easy. i dont understand why people get all bent out of shape when they dont have great traction in the snow on non snow tires, even snow tires in certain conditions dont have great traction. i think some people just expect the impossible from tires.

So, at the end of June, pretty much July...I got new tires...BF Goodrich A/T costing me $78/tire...so with tax it was around $350 with the added guarentee if they fail within' 60,000 mi the company would replace the tires... Should I take the tires back?

The 60,000 mile warranty is a Pro-rated warranty. This means if they fail early, then it's free. As the mileages tacks on...you pay more to replace.

Batteries also have a Pro-rated warranty.

Even if tires may be "All-Season" with a M+S rating, keep in mind, they are good for light snow...bascially an inch or 2 max-- if you want to tackle deep snow or ice... get snow tires.

BF Goodrich Precept - a Touring All season tire. Not found everywhere - some places don't carry them.

Example Image - http://www.epinions.com/BF_Goodrich_Precep...isplay_~reviews

UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grading) standard has them as a 620AB - sounds like a long wearing tire, though my experience with BFG have been all bad in the past.

BF Goodrich Precept - a Touring All season tire. Not found everywhere - some places don't carry them.

Example Image - http://www.epinions.com/BF_Goodrich_Precep...isplay_~reviews

UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grading) standard has them as a 620AB - sounds like a long wearing tire, though my experience with BFG have been all bad in the past.

It's what they had at Discount Tire...I wanted the same ones as I had before, since those must have been the original or close to it...and I didn't slip too much with those tires (if I recall), but I did slip still...

I guess nothings gonna prevent you from slidingin the slush we get here...the ice-rain mix...

I just want to be able to drive on some roads that didn't get plowed,...w/o worrying about sliding about like in a pinball machine... :(

Here, I don't believe you need snow tires and if you do, it'd be a level 3 emergency and the city'd close down...

If you don't believe in snow tires... if you know the roads won't be plowed...stay home for a day. Wha's one day of vacation time worth???

Before I started using snow tires... I felt the same way... now I cannot live without them in the winter time.