Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
dpiersma

K&n Air Filters

I would be inclined to use the TRD stuff. Their oil filter used be be very expensive, I'm not sure what it runs now. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that most of the oil filters on the market are made by the same company with different logos on them. :angry:

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

'00 Corolla, 165K miles, K & N in it since 20K miles, K & N user since forever on various cars and racecars.

The K & N debate is about as old as the hills.

The K & N unit is a fine piece. It does flow well, and and will flow better over time when compared to a paper filter, primarily because of it's increased surface area. As the filter gets dirty with use, the K & N will continue to outflow the paper because it is harder to get clogged.

The only reason I use the K & N is because it is cost effective for me - I've got 165K on the car now, and will drive it for at least another 50 to 100K. Replacing the paper air filter every 10 to 15K miles adds up in cost.

Does the K & N outperform the paper unit? No. Did I pick up any gas mileage with the K & N? Again, no. (I track and compute each tank of fuel.) The only reason I have the K & N is because it is cost effective, and it's one less thing to have to stock in the shop to support the car. I put 800+ miles per week on the car, so my maintenance intervals come up fairly often. I have a 130 mile daily commute, plus the weekends. I'm dirinvg this thing into the ground, which is why I bought a Corolla in the first place!

Will I continue to use the K & N? Odds are this was my last one. With concerns about fouling the MAF sensor causing the oiling and cleaning process to take the better part of a day to let everything set up right before reinstalling it, it's not worth the hassle to me any more. I currently clean the K & N about every 25K miles, or a little more than twice a year. I replace paper elements every third or fourth oil change, which will work out to about four times a year. For those of you doing the math at home, I change the oil every 4k miles, and put about 45K per year on the car total/

I just put a new engine in the race car, and bought an Wix paper element filter to protect it. Same with the V10 Ford that tows it - nice paper element filter. Change the paper ones regularly and the K & N advantage goes away.

Now if you will excuse me, I've got to go find some storage room in the shop for a few paper air filters....

Bigger "holes" in the K&N filter - they use a tacking agent (special oil) to trap dirt and dust. Paper filters are a bit simpler - smaller "holes", a go-no go type of deal.

Total surface area depends on application and design may or may not influence flow - in my Corolla, the K&N filter (drop in panel filter) has less surface area than the OEM paper element (OEM has deep, tight pleats).

Different filters have varying amount of airflow thru them. The better ones let more air thru while filtering dirt and particles at the same time.

I just use Fram air filters that fit the standard air box.