Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
dpiersma

K&n Air Filters

Just bought an '06 S and love it. Is it worth paying $60 US for one of these air filters? Performance-wise does it make that much difference? Also, do they lend an assist to fuel economy?

Just bought an '06 S and love it. Is it worth paying $60 US for one of these air filters? Performance-wise does it make that much difference? Also, do they lend an assist to fuel economy?

I don't know about the '06 S, but when I replaced my stock air filter with a K&N in my 2000 Corolla LE, my car got about 2 more miles per gallon. I also noticed a little more pick up at higher speeds.

Perhaps it is easier for a car owner to test the MPG claims about the K&N filter than whether it actually filters. Is there data to show the particle sizes that it blocks versus what a standard air filter does?

There are several "tests" on the web on K&N vs paper. If they are credible or not depends on your particular view. There are really too many variables to keep in mind to offer a decent test on these different filters. But it is safe to say - that there is no such thing as a free lunch. If the filter flows more - then it has to let in more stuff, including dirt.

Here are some tests online:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

http://www.roadkill.com/~davet/moto/air.filters.html

http://www.aptfast.com/KN_Additional_Stuff...facts.htm#PAPER

Tons more out there is you look - results vary quite a bit. So much for "standardized" testing procedures. I tend to lean toward the backyard mechanic's testing instead of "lab" testing. Since they themselves are car or truck enthusists, they would use the product much the way most people would and not bias the results - usually.

For the price, I would get a TRD filter. It is the same thing, only I think they are more careful of how the filter is oiled. K&Ns can come with too much oil and it can dammage the air meter. Also, if it's a toyota part, the dealer can never give you crap about it.

I got a TRD filter from the parts department for $62. I don't know why the K&N cost so much because a drop in is usually 35-45 buxs. The corolla is the most costly drop in K&N I've ever seen. I called up autozone and they wanted $58 for it localy.

I have the K&N filter ($38 from Autobarn.com) - I would have liked to stick with TRD part, but for some reason the dealership could not get any (none in stock and could not order from Toyota). Same with two other local dealers - the one mentioned production issues and filtration problems (customers didn't follow directions).

K&N..TRD.. same pretty much the same thing. The best way to prevent MAF fouling is periodically clean the MAF. Not hard to do and it takes a few minutes and some sprays using electrical parts cleaner or brake cleaner (same stuff-- different packaging). YOu can easily do it during an oil change

I got my TRD air filter off of eBay...off of a dealership if you can believe it...

I've read that the TRD is manufacturered to excellent quality standards, while some people at BITOG don't think much of the filtering ability of the K&N.

I'll say this: I switched from the original paper filter to the TRD 1/2 way through the 5000 I had on my UOA, and my wear numbers keep going down: the filter would appear to be just as good as stock.

As far as MPG, sound or 'butt dyno' I can't say I've noticed any difference...

I got it for $63 WITH the cleaning kit and free shipping off of ToyoGobo ($47 without the cleaning kit) : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRD-High-Fl...sspagenameZWD1V

Fast professional shipping. I'd recommend it!

Edited by GarrettSocling

I've been using a K&N air filter (off & on) for the past 15,000 miles. The reason I say "off & on" was because of a couple tests I did. I tried going back to the Toyota filter and was surprised. The K&N gives me more power and better mpg. Some have argued for more engine wear with the K&N. Since I have more power with the K&N, I shift sooner, therefore rpms are lower, and the engine actually may be wearing less.

I've been using a K&N air filter (off & on) for the past 15,000 miles. The reason I say "off & on" was because of a couple tests I did. I tried going back to the Toyota filter and was surprised. The K&N gives me more power and better mpg. Some have argued for more engine wear with the K&N. Since I have more power with the K&N, I shift sooner, therefore rpms are lower, and the engine actually may be wearing less.

I think when they say a k&n may cause more wear it is because the filter lets more dirt into the engine. I myself noticed better mpg when I switched to synthetic oil.

Andrew

I heard that AMSOIL is better than the K&N in the filtering process. Where can I buy it?

Thanks.

I heard that AMSOIL is better than the K&N in the filtering process. Where can I buy it?

Thanks.

I've heard and seen it happen the other way around - K&N > AMSOIL. If you want to give the AMSOIL foam filter a shot - you will need to find an AMSOIL distributor/dealer. Might be able to find some on the BITOG forums (Bob Is The Oil Guy).

Thanks.

I've heard and seen it happen the other way around - K&N > AMSOIL. If you want to give the AMSOIL foam filter a shot - you will need to find an AMSOIL distributor/dealer. Might be able to find some on the BITOG forums (Bob Is The Oil Guy).

I think more air flow mean less filtering and this can hurt the engine in the long run. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

I think more air flow mean less filtering and this can hurt the engine in the long run. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

I don't think it's more air flow. More air flow to engine = burning more fuel

What it is is the same amount of air flow with less pressure drop, i.e. less restriction. The engine doesn't have to work as hard to suck the air in. I think this is where the improved efficiency is supposedly comming from

Less restriction and less filtration usually go hand in hand, I think this is where the more wear debate comes in.

For the price, I would get a TRD filter. It is the same thing, only I think they are more careful of how the filter is oiled. K&Ns can come with too much oil and it can dammage the air meter. Also, if it's a toyota part, the dealer can never give you crap about it.

I got a TRD filter from the parts department for $62. I don't know why the K&N cost so much because a drop in is usually 35-45 buxs. The corolla is the most costly drop in K&N I've ever seen. I called up autozone and they wanted $58 for it localy.

Was that TRD Filter for a Corolla or other Toyota. I have a 2005 Corolla and I would like to get a better filter than the paper ones.